Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Guilty as charged.

San Juan, CR: McDonalds. I blame it on the 6 and 9 year olds short hunger cycle.

Rome: McDonalds. I blame it on the 12 and 15 year olds' short hunger cycle.

Tijuana: Thrifty's ice cream. Nostalgia.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Interesting... do they have a standalone store? We can still get Thrify's ice cream here in California Rite-Aids.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Rome: McDonalds. I blame it on the 12 and 15 year olds' short hunger cycle.

Rome: Across the piazza from the Pantheon for the bottled water bottle that could then be refilled at public fountains for the purpose ad infinitum, during "the summer from hell," 2003.

And Thrifty: Wowwwwwww... Haven't thought of them in decades, from back in the days of the big-arched (quonset-shaped) Purity Stores. (Quonset ... Come on, spell-check, stick with me!)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:38 am

Yes, guilty as charged. I ate at a McDonald's in Greenock and Edinburgh in Scotland. My uncle did security work for them about 15 years ago, so got to eat there during a couple of sightseeing trips. I did eat at a BK in Calgary, however I will not count that as overseas.
Does the UK variant of BK known as Wimpy's count? If so, guilty as well.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:22 pm

I spent two months in 3 Asian cities a few years ago.

I had breakfast at local McDonald's every single day during the two months.
It was kind of stupid because my hotel had a decent FREE hot breakfast for
guests.

Was that wrong?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:35 pm
Suspended

I don't even eat fast food here.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
I guess, then, that your user name is "anti" and not "pro"?

Greg
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:53 am

When I first visited Europe, I was in college and my little brother was 17. He was afraid of all food and we were poor, and we road-tripped across Europe for 3 weeks jumping from McDonald's to McDonald's. We ate at the same McDonald's in Paris for something like 6 meals in a row. I think I ate every single item off the McDonald's menu during that trip.

At one McDonald's in a small town in France (no clue where, somewhere on the highway between Paris and Zurich) no one who worked there knew any English and we knew almost no French. Between calling out management and gesturing and pointing, we got our order across. The very excited manager carefully prepared our order, and then spun around with the tray and a very loud VOILA!! It was probably the only McDonald's meal that I've ever seen presented with pride.

So that trip was a nightmare, but since then, I get a huge kick out of a trying McDonald's every place we go. Mostly just for the McFlurries - they use different candies! It's fun for me. I like to order the items they offer there than they don't have here.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Yes. In the UK, every time we go visit my in-laws. There's nothing like their bacon sandwich for breakfast and I have a soft spot for the proper, fried, and ultimately classic version of the apple pie. Either I or my husband walk up the block and grab breakfast about every other day we're there. Other than that little indulgence, no.

I digress. I lived in Riyadh for three years and literally had the best McDonald's ever there. The employees were friendly and always smiling and the food was always hot and decently prepared. I couldn't go there without my husband but we would have a Big Mac about once a month.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 31, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Tried a few Mc Don't's in Bangkok (airport and elsewhere)and Burger King's - horrible, same goes for Udon Thani's Pizza Company.
There is a place called Los Amigos, Fridays they have an "all you can eat pizza" evening at 150 Thai Baht (5 usd) went there twice this January 2016, first time was excellent, second time I won't be back any time.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would guess at least 5000 times (seriously).
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I've had McDonalds and Burger King in multiple places in Europe. In Chile and Argentina as well.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Doing my best to avoid, both in the US and rest of the world
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
+1,000
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:58 pm

I like to try McDonalds around the world. I recently had the Greekmac in Athens and the Ebi Filet-O in Japan. Having said that, I'm not going to have a big mac outside of North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.