FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:53 am
manda99

When I first visited Europe, I was in college and my little brother was 17. He was afraid of all food and we were poor, and we road-tripped across Europe for 3 weeks jumping from McDonald's to McDonald's. We ate at the same McDonald's in Paris for something like 6 meals in a row. I think I ate every single item off the McDonald's menu during that trip.

At one McDonald's in a small town in France (no clue where, somewhere on the highway between Paris and Zurich) no one who worked there knew any English and we knew almost no French. Between calling out management and gesturing and pointing, we got our order across. The very excited manager carefully prepared our order, and then spun around with the tray and a very loud VOILA!! It was probably the only McDonald's meal that I've ever seen presented with pride.

So that trip was a nightmare, but since then, I get a huge kick out of a trying McDonald's every place we go. Mostly just for the McFlurries - they use different candies! It's fun for me. I like to order the items they offer there than they don't have here.