FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Have you eaten at IKEA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/830275-have-you-eaten-ikea.html)

bitburgr Jun 2, 2008 6:30 pm

Have you eaten at IKEA?

Seriously.

I've got a big shopping day coming up. I'm fine with the menu...is the food any good (Plymouth Meeting store)?

YVR Cockroach Jun 2, 2008 6:32 pm

Cafeteria food. They've been in my neck of the woods for nearly 30 years (and now we have 2 stores in the metropolitan area) with a cafeteria for most of that time. Quality varies with what you order.

izzik Jun 2, 2008 6:32 pm

love IKEA food, esp the meatballs and dessert plates. :)

wharvey Jun 2, 2008 7:18 pm

I try to not dine in my furniture stores.... but have been tempted there.... my partner figures their swedish meatballs HAVE to be good.... :)

BLI-Flyer Jun 2, 2008 7:21 pm

Blech! It seems to be all pre-packaged frozen food that they just reheat. The very few times I've eaten there the food hasn't been defrosted enough and was cold in the middle. I'll never eat there again.

BiziBB Jun 2, 2008 7:36 pm

Hilarious thread :D
It's pretty hard to stuff up eggs, bacon and sausages and I recall it was fine on our one brekky visit (Sydney). Breakfast should be okay if you can do that.

Unlimited espresso made for a high-energy shopping session - happily just one big item purchase at 80% off. :)
Not a kitchen appliance, no Diningbuzz link that I can make.

For its target market - young singles, young families with kids, its a very good setup for usually nice looking stuff (as cheaply made as possible).

MileageAddict Jun 2, 2008 7:42 pm

The Ikea seafood salad is absolutely delicious.

ScottC Jun 2, 2008 7:42 pm

The meatballs are actually pretty damn decent.

MileageAddict Jun 2, 2008 7:44 pm

Looks like they no longer have the seafood salad. :(

Ikea menu: CLICK HERE

cfwolfs Jun 2, 2008 7:58 pm

The Swedish Meatballs are awesome... The desserts are good too. The chocolate torte thing is good.

Oh, and on the way out, pick up some cinnamon rolls! Reheat great the next morning!

BiziBB Jun 2, 2008 8:24 pm

The hot dogs at the Sydney IKEA are pretty foul.
Then, they are $1 so don't expect a dining experience!

saturnino3 Jun 2, 2008 8:36 pm

I think the hot dogs are fine for what they cost ($.50 or something)...

Kagehitokiri Jun 2, 2008 8:36 pm

i thought it was fine, but its not like i was expecting anything..

ralfp Jun 2, 2008 8:41 pm

Ikea food is a decent deal. I usually eat there before I shop there.

It's a smart move on Ikea's part. Customers who are not hungry, and whose kids are not hungry, will tend to stay longer and spend more.

Comicwoman Jun 2, 2008 8:58 pm

I Would not Drive to Eat there

But when there, it is okay. Weekdays, with lower sales, often results in bad food on the steam table. Best to order what just got refilled. Salmon, ok. Chicken, ok. Meatballs, ok...hold the gravy for me please. The Seafood Salad (West Coast Salad) might only be availiable during the week...they can't make them fast enough during the weekends. Shrimp sandwich is a good value too (very low margin!). If there are two of you, consider splitting the largest meatball meal.