Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Pellegrino World's Best Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:26 am

Pellegrino's top 100 restaurants for 2013

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...0-in-full.html

Any thoughts on Pellegrino's new top 100 restaurants list? Don't miss the Telegraph's review of the Fat Duck. Classic

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Apr 30, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old May 6, 2013, 11:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This cracks me up

Blue Hill At Stone Barns, Westchester, USA

Most every other one has a city or town listed, Westchester is not a city
Old May 6, 2013, 11:17 am

This was a dupe thread posted close to the same time as the other in reference to the same article.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:16 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...0-in-full.html

Any thoughts on Pellegrino's new top 100 restaurants list? Don't miss the Telegraph's review of the Fat Duck. Classic
That review dates from 2004. Pointless of the Telegraph to link to it, really. So much has changed in 9 years.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:34 am

New 2016 Pellegrino 'World's Best Restaurants List'

http://www.theworlds50best.com/

New Pellegrino list out. Osteria Francescana came out on top this year.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Congratulations to Joshua Skennes, whose Saison in San Francisco leapt from 56 last year to 27 this year.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:48 am

I was shocked to see The Clove Club make its debut on this list, particularly at number 26. I made a reservation for August last week so have that to look forward to
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This list continues to more accurately (if not perfectly) reflect the best restaurants in the world--far better and with far more range and modern global taste than Michelin.

In the year's I've followed this list, I've only been disappointed 4 times:

(1) St. John in London--horribly overrated, and has slid to #91.
(2) Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London--overrated, and has slid to #45 (from top 5).
(3) Malabar in Lima--very good but not outstanding, and has slid off the world top 100 list but still appears in the Latin American top 50 as is appropriate.
(4) Daniel--outstanding food but disappointing wine pairings/service.

On the other hand, I've eaten at many restaurants before they appeared or rose to new heights on this list...and watched the list reinforce my appreciation:

(1) Geranium--ate here before and after it debuted and believed it to be nearly as impressive as Noma (but in different style). Now at #28...and will rise even higher IMO.

(2) Central--ate here before it debuted at #50 a few years ago (along with #14 ranked Astrid y Gaston at the time) and I knew this was one of the world's best too. Now it's #4. I got this one right!

(3) Noma--ate here when ranked #1 and still is one of the best meals ever for me. But Geranium also impressed me as much, which is how I know Geranium can still rise.

(4) Quintonil--ate here last year when ranked in the Latin American list...and knew it was special. (But I liked Biko more!)

(5) The Ledbury--ate here a few times when it was in the 70s. My favorite restaurant in London, and its ranking up to #14 reinforces I wasn't wrong. Back this October and can't wait (along with The Clove Club, which I booked before its debut here too!).

(6) Alinea--this is undoubtedly one of the most crazy and incredible dining experiences I've ever had. It's certainly among the top 10 or 20 restaurants int he world, and I seriously doubt that will change any time soon.

(7) Amber--we chose this over Caprice and dined here the night after Lung King Heen (3 Michelin stars) which slightly disappointed us. This was the place that we remember in Hong Kong, and it was a fabulous dinner. Turns out the list agrees.

(8) The Test Kitchen--I've wanted to dine here ever since it opened, and I finally got my chance in Jan 2015. What a meal. I still believe this place will rise to the top 10-15, it's that good.

(9) Le Bernadin--my favorite top restaurant in NYC, since I have yet to dine at EMP. Never had anything less than a stupendous meal here.

(10) Pujol--as amazing as everyone says. I'm a little surprised to see it drop to the 30s, but this likely has more to do with other new restaurants pushing it down and other very good restaurants slightly improving as well. Still an amazing restaurant.

(11) Saison--this was the best meal we've had in SF city, though I'd put Meadowood up with it, too. Not surprised to see it rise so quickly to #27.

(12) Astrid y Gaston--this was our first Lima world experience and it was amazing. Loved it as much as Central, but thought Central was a bit more modern and inventive, which this list rewards.

(13) Le Calandre--going in October. Can't wait.

(14) Relae--this debuted a few yrs ago in the 50s and has hovered in the 40s, now at #40. I'd say this is about right. It was outstanding and more relaxed than Noma or Geranium while being crazy inventive and simple at the same time.

(15) Biko--this actually was my favorite among Quintonil and Pujul, which is saying something! At #43, it still could rise higher IMO.

(16) Mikla--we dined here just a year ago after some research and were amazed at how good it was...along with how amazing its fine but unremarkable Turkish wine pairings matched the meal! It was our favorite in Istanbul by a mile. Now it debuts at #56. We got this right too.

(17) Alain Ducasse Plaza Athenee--a fantastic restaurant.But I still prefer Guy Savoy and am stunned that it hasn't made the list to be honest.

(18) Meadowood--this has been our Napa staple for years, as we far prefer it to the French Laundry which has become stale and boring for years IMO. The list reflects this. Meadowood is nearly as good as Saison for us, so we expect this to rise significantly as people stop assuming FL is the star here.

(19) La Colombe--it's nice to see this place rebound! It was amazing for our first trip in 2003, then dropped off the list as its team departed and it tried to find its place. Now the new team has it right as we discovered in Jan 2015. Back at #76 and could climb even higher.

(20) L'Atelier St Germain de Joel Robuchon--amazing...and still worthy of the list. There is so much new competition, though...

(21) Manresa--going in December!

(22) French Laundry--this used to be amazing, then Keller opened Per Se and this got stale IMO. It might not be on the list in a year or two, if voters were brave enough to piss Keller off.

(23) India Accent--going in Jan 2017! Can't wait...along with Bukhara which has potential to make the list, too.

(24) Benu--went here last year and were very impressed. This restaurant has it all..and will rise to the top 50 or so for sure.

My biggest surprises remain that Guy Savoy isn't on the list...and that St. John is.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
(13) Le Calandre--going in October. Can't wait.
I'm going to try Le Calandre again this September. It just didn't grab me the first time around, but you never know, maybe nothing would have grabbed me that day. Some days are like that

I'm surprised that Schloss Berg/Victor's Gourmet Restaurant in Nennig is not on the list somewhere, especially when places like St. John's are. Just no comparison whatsoever.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
bhrubin - have you been to Atelier Crenn?

The demotion of Per Se from 4 to 2 stars in the NY Times was a clarion notice of Keller's drift. And the best thing about the French Laundry seems to be the training of good young chefs, like Tim Hollingsworth, now at Otium in downtown LA.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
bhrubin - have you been to Atelier Crenn?

The demotion of Per Se from 4 to 2 stars in the NY Times was a clarion notice of Keller's drift. And the best thing about the FL seems to be theffective training of
We actually were at Atelier Crenn last Dec. and you're right--that's another omission (which I suspect will eventually find its way onto the list in a year or two). We definitely felt like the meal was 3 star quality and incredibly inventive...but without the dining room fussiness. We even had a nice chat with Dame Dominique, herself.

Do keep in mind that it's impossible to add all the amazing restaurants. But Crenn is an obvious oversight perhaps because of misogyny in the professional world of chefs--both for not getting an obviously deserved 3rd star and for not yet making this list. I strongly suspect that will change in a year or two (at least with this list...not as much for Michelin!).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC
(6) Alinea--this is undoubtedly one of the most crazy and incredible dining experiences I've ever had. It's certainly among the top 10 or 20 restaurants int he world, and I seriously doubt that will change any time soon.
I wanted to place a reservation at Alinea this summer for a party of five - only to be left baffled with the fact that they don't accept odd number reservations at all. The so-called explanation for this (besides the fact that they *can*, without any prospect of losing too much business) is that you don't reserve a number of seats, you reserve a table. A table designated for 2, 4 or 6 people.

After looking into Grace, 42 grams and Acadia, a reservation was placed at the latter. Can't wait ^
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We actually were at Atelier Crenn last Dec. and you're right--that's another omission (which I suspect will eventually find its way onto the list in a year or two). We definitely felt like the meal was 3 star quality and incredibly inventive...but without the dining room fussiness. We even had a nice chat with Dame Dominique, herself. Do keep in mind that it's impossible to add all the amazing restaurants. But Crenn is an obvious oversight perhaps because of misogyny in the professional world of chefs--both for not getting an obviously deserved 3rd star and for not yet making this list. I strongly suspect that will change in a year or two (at least with this list...not as much for Michelin!).
I saw a note in which Chef Crenn, in Los Angeles for an event, stated that she is considering opening a location of Petit Crenn (her casual bistro) in L.A.

Originally Posted by Hilde
I wanted to place a reservation at Alinea this summer for a party of five - only to be left baffled with the fact that they don't accept odd number reservations at all. The so-called explanation for this (besides the fact that they *can*, without any prospect of losing too much business) is that you don't reserve a number of seats, you reserve a table. A table designated for 2, 4 or 6 people. After looking into Grace, 42 grams and Acadia, a reservation was placed at the latter. Can't wait ^
Alinea's owners created and patented a computerized system called Tock. With Tock, you are not making a reservation, you are buying nonrefundable "tickets" that, in effect, pre-pay your dinner (alcohol extra, paid the night of the dinner).

They only sell tickets per table, hence 2, 4 or 6. The tickets are transferrable; as a party of 5, you have the option of buying tickets for 6, then selling the sixth on an open market, or simply writing off the cost.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 16, 2016 at 5:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Hilde
I wanted to place a reservation at Alinea this summer for a party of five - only to be left baffled with the fact that they don't accept odd number reservations at all. The so-called explanation for this (besides the fact that they *can*, without any prospect of losing too much business) is that you don't reserve a number of seats, you reserve a table. A table designated for 2, 4 or 6 people.

After looking into Grace, 42 grams and Acadia, a reservation was placed at the latter. Can't wait ^
Grace is my priority for our next visit to Chicago...along with Girl and the Goat! We dined at L20 the night before Alinea and thought it was fantastic, too, so it's a shame it has since closed.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Grace is my priority for our next visit to Chicago...along with Girl and the Goat! We dined at L20 the night before Alinea and thought it was fantastic, too, so it's a shame it has since closed.
Girl and the Goat is HIGHLY recommendable! Just make sure to book early(60 days out), as it's a crazy popular place.

I will need a lot of visits to Chicago in order to try all the restaurants I would like to dine at

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.