Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food that's nasty no matter how you look at it...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food that's nasty no matter how you look at it...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Tripe. (Pronounced trip-air) It's an old school Italian dish common in the tiny villages in Calabria and Sicily. It's so vile the smell of it makes me dry reach!
My grandmother (or someone in my mom's extended family) used to make this when she was growing up. I, however, have never had it inflicted on me because she considers it a form of child abuse.

She hasn't been keen on sharing that part of my heritage with me now that I'm well into adulthood, come to think of it.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: QF
Stinky tofu
Haggis
Durian
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Andouillette de Troyes. Had it one time. Never again.
"Politics is like an andouillette – it should smell a little like sh*t, but not too much."
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Andouillette de Troyes. Had it one time. Never again.
Agreed. My Father-in-law loves it and always orders it when he sees it. My 2 year old daughter's verdict on it, when offered a taste on holiday this summer, was that it smells like nappies (diapers) and was not an acceptable foodstuff. She did, however, happily sample boudin noir at the same lunch, and thinks durian is food of the gods so is far from picky.

I also strongly agree on the utter wrongness of natto.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
My dad used to eat brain sandwiches growing up. To me it was absolutely disgusting. Makes we want to retch thinking about it after all these years
I've had sweetbreads, both deer and (I'm not completely sure since the menu was in French) beef. It was tasty and not that tough to look at. I would think in a sandwich would be tolerable.

However, I have seen pig brains in gravy and it made me want to spew.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've had sweetbreads, both deer and (I'm not completely sure since the menu was in French) beef. It was tasty and not that tough to look at. I would think in a sandwich would be tolerable.

However, I have seen pig brains in gravy and it made me want to spew.
People need to understand that offal is not food for people.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Nonsense, offal is lovely - it's all in preparation. Not so keen on kidneys, mind. There's little else I won't eat, though.

To me, the most vile of all substances is tomato ketchup.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, I also struggled with sea urchin, but people seem to rave about it now, so I'll see if I can try it again...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
To reply to the original question, although I've never had the pleasure myself, I'm told that the economy class "food" served Iberia's long-haul routes to central America is about the worst you could imagine.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by stut
Nonsense, offal is lovely - it's all in preparation. Not so keen on kidneys, mind. There's little else I won't eat, though.

To me, the most vile of all substances is tomato ketchup.
I'll allow liver and bacon. But that's it.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I also struggled with sea urchin, but people seem to rave about it now, so I'll see if I can try it again...
I had it at Sushi Nakazawa last weekend. I didn't have a choice; it was part of the omakase menu. I had had it in the past and thought it absolutely disgusting. This was not nearly as bad, but I still wouldn't order it. The consistency is about the same as snot. The taste is too fishy for me.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Sviđ for sure. An Icelandic delicacy, it is a half of a boiled sheep's head. I haven't tried it yet on my two visits to Iceland, but I'm gonna attempt to try it next time I'm there!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The worst food I've ever heard described is Hákarl.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

Hákarl is traditionally prepared by gutting and beheading a Greenland or basking shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly sand, with the now cleaned cavity resting on a small mound of sand. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. In this way the fluids are pressed out of the body. The shark ferments in this fashion for 6–12 weeks depending on the season.

Chef Anthony Bourdain described hákarl as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.[1]

Chef Gordon Ramsay challenged James May to sample three "delicacies" (Laotian snake whiskey, bull penis, and hákarl) on The F Word; after eating hákarl, Ramsay spat it out, although May kept his down. May's only reaction was, "You disappoint me, Ramsay."[7]

On season 2's Iceland episode of Travel Channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, Andrew Zimmern described the smell as reminding him of "some of the most horrific things I've ever breathed in my life," but said the taste was not nearly as bad as the smell. Nonetheless, he did note that hákarl was "hardcore food" and "not for beginners".

Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I was at a Seafood Festival in Santa Barbara on Saturday, and one of the featured items was sea urchin. They were the size of grapefruit, and served cracked in half, spines and all.

I'm not that big a fan of uni so I didn't buy any at $10 apiece. Lots of people walking around with them, though.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I like sweetbreads, USA_flyer. They are great if prepared properly (which I have had in French and upscale Chinese restaurants).

Foods that were horrible:

Jellyfish -- I had it twice in Hong Kong. The first time was sort of crispy and somewhat edible. The second time was gelatinous goop. Disgusting. Alas, I was the guest of a potential client who was taking me to his favorite restaurant from his region (Fukien).

At that same meal, there was an inedible cold pigeon dish.

Avgolemono, which is is "a family of Mediterranean sauces and soups made with egg and lemon juice mixed with broth, heated until they thicken." -- I hate raw or soft-boiled eggs. I dropped off a young Greek-American woman who was one of my college classmates at her home and her parents cooked me dinner with avgolemono. I really could not get it down.
I don't love sea urchin or durian (both mentioned earlier).

Last edited by shawbridge; Oct 13, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.