Cholula Addiction Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cholula Addiction Club

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
On Facebook, one of my fave tea companies asked me to vote for their lady in “The 35 Most Beautiful People in Food” poll, but I may have to choose tia Cholula (entry #27). or maybe Orville. Kidding.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
There used to be a burrito stand at Bank One Ballpark (now Chase Field) in the upper deck. Every Diamondbacks game I went to I would get a $5 chicken burrito and a couple of packs of Cholula and it became part of the experience for me. This thread brought back those memories
Old May 7, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Cholula is a primary staple of a well operating US Navy warship. Proper rationing must be observed to keep everyone sane. I kept a spare bottle in my rack in case the ship ran low.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I love Cholula, and have been pleasantly surprised to see it outside the U.S. recently, given that Mexican food (at least of the decent and/or authentic genre) apparently hasn't caught on widely around the world. I can't remember where, maybe it was Morocco or Europe somewhere. . . I'll have to check whether it's on supermarket shelves in the Gulf region.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In honor of this thread, I just became the 89,490th person to "Like" Cholula Hot Sauce on Facebook!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Let's aim for 90,000.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
My fave, of course.

What is the gender of the person depicted on the bottle??
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mbstone
My fave, of course.

What is the gender of the person depicted on the bottle??
Female.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:50 am

I like Cholula but I think they are gouging their customers with their very high price. Is there something in Cholula that justifies their premium price? I know it's not the wooden top since the large plastic bottles are equally pricey.

Obviously the sauce is still cheapt, but on capitalistic principle I want to explore if there's another sauce on the market that is comparable to Cholula. I haven't found it yet.

Anyone know of a similar tasting sauce that doesn't gouge?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Flying Hawaiian
I want to explore if there's another sauce on the market that is comparable to Cholula. I haven't found it yet.

Anyone know of a similar tasting sauce that doesn't gouge?
You get what you pay for. Personally, it's what's NOT in the Cholula product that's attractive to me. I check the ingredients list and nutritional information in addition to the price when I'm making a decision about food I put into my body. I've been on a restricted calorie diet for the past few months to lose weight, and the Cholula sauce has helped me survive the bland food I'm allowed to eat. A serving of Cholula has 0 calories, 0 grams of fat, 0 grams of protein, 0 carbs, is relatively low in sodium, and isn't loaded with chemicals you can't pronounce. It fits my dietary needs perfectly, and allows me to spice up my food with no "cost" in things that aren't allowed on my diet. Check out the ingredients and nutritional information on other hot sauces, you may be surprised. So far I've lost 45 pounds in the past 2 1/2 months. For me, that's worth whatever premium price the product might cost. Thanks Cholula! (As mentioned above, Costco carries large 12 oz bottles of Cholula in 2-packs at a very reasonable price.)

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Jul 13, 2011 at 7:33 am
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Don't get me wrong! Cholula is a fine product with a definitive and appealing flavor bite, especially to the palates of those unexposed to a myriad of "Mexican" (as opposed to "Louisiana") style hot sauces. Its ascent up the popularity ladder has been much due to side by side comparison with Tabasco, thinner, hotter, and without the body and flavor spectrum of Cholula. Cholula belong to a generic family which many Mexicans, Mexican food and TexMex addicts might be likely to refer to as "Taco Sauces", designed to be liberally dashed on "real" (traditional) tacos, since in most Mexican cuisine the meat, organ meat, poultry and seafood fillings are cooked with only modest seasoning. My local HEB, a gringo company, even carries a couple of brands of hot sauces for use on fruit, along with rows of "Salsas" of every hue and intensity, the spreading tree from which "Pace's" is but a limb.

Living, however, where even basic grocery chains may carry 15-20 "commercial" (not craft or niche market) "hot' sauces of Mexican lineage, Cholula is simply one of a crowd, ranking high, but hardly unique. These days, I'm partial to "Sabrosita", but recently (in San Antonio, the bosom from which has flowed veritable rivers of piquant flavor, I ran across a restaurant offering for which to die in a taco joint on North Broadway, far removed from the cradle neighborhoods of the Westside, breeding ground of a culinary culture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.