Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel
It seems harsh to give a poor trip because she didn't think to inform you about the cost of the drink. It probably seems very standard to her. Was she a pleasant waitress otherwise? Unless you indicate to her why you gave such a poor trip, I suspect your attempted "lesson" will be lost.
Yeah, I thought about that after I left...she was okay otherwise...nothing spectacular...didn't come back to check on the meal & only asked if I wanted another coke after my empty glass sat for longer than necessary (I actually had to look around to make eye contact with her to get her to come over). The food was brought out in a timely manner (the restaurant was pretty dead) - however, the burger was undercooked (but that's not her fault unless she didn't enter the right temperature - asked for med. well).

I guess my issue is that whereas it may seem standard to her, as a tourist to the island, it didn't seem standard for the island (and this was a restaurant that more than likely catered to tourists).

I guess it just annoyed me that it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the menu & I feel its something that should be brought to one's attention (especially if it's a fountain drink & not a bottled/canned drink).
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:28 am
iff

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Refills on fountain drinks are very common in the US.
Common, yes, but not universal. If it's an important criterion, then best to verify it up front.

My parents in the US dine out quite often, and there are some restaurants they avoid due to the fact that they don't offer free refills.

In the OP's case, I don't consider it the waitress' fault that he was not informed he'd be charged for a second drink. No doubt she just wrote him off as a lousy cheapskate without knowing why.

As for not being mentioned in the menu, "free refills" are usually mentioned if available, but I've never seen anything mentioning "refills will be charged separately" as the normal standard is to pay for them unless otherwise advertised.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iff
Common, yes, but not universal. If it's an important criterion, then best to verify it up front.
It is my experience that in the US (and I've traveled all over the US as a leisure traveler & a weekly biz traveler for the past 3 years) that it is universal (with the exception of NYC) that there are free refills on soda's at establishments that have burger & fries on the menu.

In retrospect, I should have left a note as JC suggested...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by iff
Common, yes, but not universal.
Well, we can always debate the 1-2% of sit down casual restaurants that charge full boat for refills on fountain drinks. if the server is any good, they will know how much this will tick off the clientele, and mention it. "All refills are charged at the same price as the original".

Perhaps the restaurant thinks that it's only tourists, and it's okay if they don't come back.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
The two cokes came out to 5.60 (2.55 per fountain soda).
I see that simple math isn't your strong point
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
I think it's too bad you stiffed the waitress over the restaurant's policy. It isn't her fault that the restaurant owners don't offer free refills on soda. She still did her job and brought you your food -- heck, even noted that you NEEDED a refill! That's better than you get in some places.

She got a 35 cent tip, but doesn't have the authority to change the rules of the establishment. Hawaii's an expensive place to live, you know.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
I know Europe is not this way but free refills are the rule in the US. A good waitress would warn the customer on this. That made the drink over %25 of the bill! I would have brought it up to her, she may have taken it off. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I would probably say that free refills are the norm in the mainland-USA. When I was in Alaska or if I were in HI, I'd verify. The costs of foodstuff is high over there. Canada in general does not offer free refills (unless that has changed recently).

JP
Originally Posted by AADJ
I know Europe is not this way but free refills are the rule in the US. A good waitress would warn the customer on this. That made the drink over %25 of the bill! I would have brought it up to her, she may have taken it off. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:27 am

I would have left her a tip appropriate for the service she provided, then addressed my disapointment with the manager on duty, who presumably would comp the extra charge. If not, then I'll take future business elsewhere. The only time I would take it out on the server is the rare event when they intentionally hand write a charge on the bill (i.e., don't record it on the register) so they can pocket extra cash.

That said, perhaps it was simply an oversight on her part. Maybe she was busy and didn't notice she had charged you the first time?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I would probably say that free refills are the norm in the mainland-USA. When I was in Alaska or if I were in HI, I'd verify. The costs of foodstuff is high over there. Canada in general does not offer free refills (unless that has changed recently).
JP
Good point. We were in HI on Hawaii island a few years ago and I don't remember not getting free refills.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by iff
As for not being mentioned in the menu, "free refills" are usually mentioned if available, but I've never seen anything mentioning "refills will be charged separately" as the normal standard is to pay for them unless otherwise advertised.
I've seen several restaurants that say, "One free refill," or some such on the menu, in the US.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Before paying, I would have said "you should probably tell diners that soda refills aren't free". If she appeared unphased, I probably would have left a smaller tip (maybe 15% instead of my typically 20%). If she offered to take the refill off the check, I would have given her 20%, assuming she met my expectations in other facets of the job.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I have to agree with the majority here. It's really not her fault that refills aren't free, and while it's common to give free refills, it's not universal.

Slightly OT: Our neighborhood restaurant just switched to charging for refills from free ones without saying anything. I was annoyed the first time I got charged, but after that, just stopped ordering sodas and drink water. Sorry guys, you just lost $3.00 of very high margin sales.

Mike
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:50 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I have nothing to add really, I just want to say that I'm jealous that you're in Kauai
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why penalize the waitress for a pricing policy she didn't set and can't control?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.