Reload this Page >

The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:19 pm

Even if the service wasn't the best, I would feel bad not leaving anything. I'd at least leave 10%. The server could have had personal issues that affected her work performance. No, that shouldn't happen, but how easily could any of us do her job if we were having a bad day? Honestly, I probably couldn't do her job on my best day. I'd have to leave a tip.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:08 pm
Suspended

I heard a story once about the origins of tipping...and maybe someone addressed this earlier as I did NOT read all the posts back. I apologize. It's the holidays I don't have THAT much time.
A customer would set tip money on the table at the start of "service." As the Meal went along, as long as "service" was fine the money stayed put, but if service started to become below what the customer was expecting, the money would start to disappear. If the service was "above expectations" the tip money might increase the initial layout. It was the servers goal to earn the money laid out.

Just a question though...do any of you verbalize your "beefs" with poor service? Do you compliment good service? Or do you just do it with your tips? I don't work in the food service industry but I was taught by my folks to tell someone if things were bad or good. I usually get the manager involved if things are bad...and I've even been known to get them involved if things were really good too. LOL At one restaurant I asked our server to bring over the manager. They became really worried and asked if there was a problem. I said with a straight face, just bring a manager please. The manager came and asked if there was a problem. I smiled and said, "No...quite the contrary, things are perfect. I just wanted to make sure you knew it...and that our server heard me say it in front of you. Managers only hear the bad stuff and don't ever or hardly every hear the good stuff so I wanted you to hear something good today." We got a free dessert that night!!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bhd87
TIP = To Insure Promptness
Wouldn't it be To Ensure Promptness?

Regardless, I always tip... 10% if the service is absolutely horrible, 15% if it is mediocre/ good, 20% if it is good/ great, 25% if it is super duper

Those numbers are for the US. Here, 10% is pretty standard and often added directly to the bill for me.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:43 pm
Formerly known as katzalex

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hertz Platinum, Marriot Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold
My father has taught me to tip depending on the service, from 0%-for awful service to ~30% absolutely amazing service.

He once told me about a very fancy meal he went to with my mom and another couple, I think in NYC. I recall him saying it was a white-tablecloth place and the bill was ~$750. He said the service was awful and he wasn't going to leave a tip. Instead, he chose to give the maitre'd a check made out to the Red Cross (or some other charity) for $150, or 20% of the bill. He explained that the service was poor but he didn't want to be considered cheap.

I think he said he has done this twice in his life and one time the check was immediately sent to the charity and the other one never made it.

Personally, I think it is a little over the edge, but fitting for this thread.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by katzalex
My father has taught me to tip depending on the service, from 0%-for awful service to ~30% absolutely amazing service.

He once told me about a very fancy meal he went to with my mom and another couple, I think in NYC. I recall him saying it was a white-tablecloth place and the bill was ~$750. He said the service was awful and he wasn't going to leave a tip. Instead, he chose to give the maitre'd a check made out to the Red Cross (or some other charity) for $150, or 20% of the bill. He explained that the service was poor but he didn't want to be considered cheap.

I think he said he has done this twice in his life and one time the check was immediately sent to the charity and the other one never made it.

Personally, I think it is a little over the edge, but fitting for this thread.
i like the idea but if i go to a restaurant (esp at $200/head) and the service is so bad I would consider not tipping, I'd speak to the manager
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
I'm usually in the 15-20% range for good to excelent service...

...but if I really have to send a message about bad service, I'll leave 2 cents...under an inverted water glass. If it's been truely horrid (twice in the last couple of decades) the glass will be full, and the bus help will *certainly* let the wait staff know after they have to mop down the table.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:17 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by mlshanks
...but if I really have to send a message about bad service, I'll leave 2 cents...under an inverted water glass. If it's been truely horrid (twice in the last couple of decades) the glass will be full, and the bus help will *certainly* let the wait staff know after they have to mop down the table.
Good way to penalise the wrong person. Surely if the service is bad it should be addressed immediately so that it can be rectified.

After all we probably all have staff at our employment, would we treat them this way if they didn't perform? Hopefully you would let them immediately know what aspect of their work was unsatisfactory and how to improve their performance.

Failure to address poor performance leads the employee/waiter etc to believe that they are performing well and that they should continue working this way.

Surely a quiet word about your expectations if something goes wrong is the only fair thing to do? If the poor performance continues then escalate the complaint so that their supervisor can deal with it.

This way no one will be in any doubt about why you haven't tipped and hopefully will work to rectify their shortfalls in the future.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:33 am

No tip.

Leaving a small tip to make a point is just stupid...they still get what little money you left rather than the nothing they deserve.

I tip well if taken care of...it works both ways.

Most people are not going to change because you have a word with them or their manager...you can tell the difference between someone who is flustered, new or having a bad day and the idiots that run rampant in this world.

In fact most people react negatively to any sort of criticism be it constructive or not..people do not like being told they are wrong and like even less to change.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree leaving a small tip is pointless and wont help the situation...

...having been a bartender and a waiter I can tell you that leaving any amount on a tip line of a CC statement will be overlooked by the manager at nights end.
You have to cash out at night, the total you rang in has to be paid for out of CC totals and cash. So even if you put 1$ on CC it will probably be overlooked as there is an amount filled in. However restaurant managers are taught to look for 0's or blank tip amounts. If you leave cash its easy to hide. So if you really wish to voice your displeasure than fill out $0 or leave that CC slip blank in the tip section.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by sammy0623
i like the idea but if i go to a restaurant (esp at $200/head) and the service is so bad I would consider not tipping, I'd speak to the manager
Yeah, that's basically my rule; if the service is bad enough that I'd be tipping under 10% (or nothing), then it's bad enough that I'd better inform the manager.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:38 pm

I also totally agree with those who hate the 'tip me because the West does it" people. Where I live and in many of the places I go the service is added automatically but because since the staff has found out it is common for Westerner's to tip they now EXPECT it and if you don't they treat you poorly.

It has created a load of places I will never return because they were so freaking greedy that not getting paid for the service TWICE pisses them off.

People are selfish and greedy...at all levels. They just don't all have the power to spit in your food.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave a pretty bad tip tonight...intentionally...thoughts?

So, I'm in LIH (Kauai, HI) and I just had dinner at a relatively inexpensive restaurant near my hotel. I ordered a burger with fries & a diet coke (fountain drink). After finishing my drink, the waitress asked if I wanted another one (still waiting for my burger) - I said sure & she brought it to me. I finished the burger & drank my coke and asked for the bill.

When I got the check, I was charged for a burger & fries and 2 cokes. The two cokes came out to 5.60 (2.55 per fountain soda). I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't in the mood to argue, but felt that if the waitress didn't have the courtesy to tell me that they charge on a per fountain drink basis, then I don't feel the need to tip well. There was no indicator on the menu about it and she didn't say anything. Had I known this, I probably would have either stuck with water or asked for the diet coke with no ice (the cup was about 2/3rd's ice each time)

My bill was 18.65 & I paid with a 20.00 & left 35 cents as a tip to reflect that tip wasn't forgotten, but left poorly.

Thoughts? Should I have said something? Should I have left a better tip?

If this was NYC (where I feel its the norm to charge on a per drink basis), that'd be one thing - but this is my 3rd day in LIH & no other restaurant I've been to have charged for second soda refills...if it was the norm here, then I would have accepted it - but it doesn't seem like it is...

Last edited by bhatnasx; Dec 11, 2008 at 1:22 am Reason: Changed a 3 to a 2
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:17 am

It seems harsh to give a poor trip because she didn't think to inform you about the cost of the drink. It probably seems very standard to her. Was she a pleasant waitress otherwise? Unless you indicate to her why you gave such a poor trip, I suspect your attempted "lesson" will be lost.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:21 am
iff

Personally, unless the menu specifically states that refills are free, then I assume they are charged as a separate drink.

If in doubt, you could have asked the waitress. I wouldn't fault her for not saying anything; she probably assumes you've read the menu and have no questions about it.

Have the other restaurants you've gone to specified whether refills were free? Were they the same type/category of restaurant?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Refills on fountain drinks are very common in the US. I've had the same thing happen to me in mid tier restaurants, and was not pleased.

Personally, I'd write a note on the receipt saying, "I would have left a better tip, but after the refill for $2.55, I didn't have anything left". I'm kind of rude, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.