Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite beer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by kipper
I think I need to make a trip to Dogfish Head soon.
Even when I'm not working on a story there are advantages to being a professional beer drinker -- um, I mean, to writing about beer.

I visited Dogfish Head's Rehoboth Beach brewpub while relaxing at that Delaware beach over Easter weekend and I was invited to try an early taste of their third ancient beer revival, Theobroma. It's Aztec-style fermented chocolate, at about 10% alcohol.

I'd describe it as moderately sweet with a complex flavor that (I'm speculating) comes at least in part from the chilies in the recipe and a distinct chocolate aftertaste. A glass of this would make an excellent dessert all by itself. Theobroma is scheduled for release in August

DFH has done this before, working with an archaeologist from the University of Pennsylvania who does chemical analysis of residues found in cooking pots and drinking vessels to determine what people ate and drink.

The first is Midas Touch, which is a beer/wine/mead blend that is as best they can recreate what was served around 700 B.C.E. at the funeral feast for King Mithras, the Phrygian king who inspired the King Midas myth. This was supposed to be made as a one-time thing for a U. of Pennsylvania fundraiser that recreated the funeral feast, but the demand for it has turned Midas Touch into an award-winning part of Dogfish Head's regular lineup.

The second ancient beer recreation is Chateau Jiahu, which is a modern version of an ancient Chinese beer made from a blend of rice, hawthorne fruit and chrysanthemum flowers. The first time I tasted this, I described it as "Belgian sake".
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Even when I'm not working on a story there are advantages to being a professional beer drinker -- um, I mean, to writing about beer.

I visited Dogfish Head's Rehoboth Beach brewpub while relaxing at that Delaware beach over Easter weekend and I was invited to try an early taste of their third ancient beer revival, Theobroma. It's Aztec-style fermented chocolate, at about 10% alcohol.

I'd describe it as moderately sweet with a complex flavor that (I'm speculating) comes at least in part from the chilies in the recipe and a distinct chocolate aftertaste. A glass of this would make an excellent dessert all by itself. Theobroma is scheduled for release in August
Mmm, that sounds wonderful!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Guinness.
Word.^
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:04 am

My number one beer is Cascade from Tasmania, it's as far as I know not available outside Australia. It,s brewed with natural spring water and is all natural ingredients. When flying you can make me happy with a Tooheys New or a Hahn Lager.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Paulaner Helles and/or Mnchner HB Helles ^
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:37 pm

When in Germany : Kloster Andechs, Krombacher Pils and most Dunkles Weizen
In California : Henry Weinhard
In Thailand : Beer Chang
In Copenhagen : Carlsberg Elephant
In England : Double Diamond
In Australia : will be there next month and looking for a good brew.
Preferably a Bitter type.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
With the plethora of fabulous American microbrews out there, who can have just one favorite?

Honorable mention goes to the Sleeman family of beers that I'm finding readily available in my temporary home of NE Ohio. My favorite is their Porter...the Cream Ale and Honey Brown aren't too bad either. At $6 a 6-pack, these are great everyday beers. ^
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:34 pm

Among things that are available where I live (Tucson) here's what I like to keep "in stock":

Abbaye Des Rocs
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Cantillon Kriek / Saint Lamvinus
Gouden Carolus
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Stone IPA
Trappistes Rochefort 10
Tripel Karmeliet
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Westmalle Tripel
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Big fan of the Oskar Blues Brewery in Lyons, Colo. right now. Their Dale's Pale Ale is a good basic beer, very hoppy without being overwhelming. The Old Chub Scottish Ale and Ten Fidy, which is like (meaning maybe not exactly) a Russian Imperial Stout. Plus, they come in cans, making them easy to store and hard to skunk.

I recommend www.beeradvocate.com for all your beer research needs. They publish a great monthly magazine on American microbrews and review about 30 beers in each issues (domestic and import). They also aggregate all of the beer festivals around the country (and the world, to some extent) in the events section of the website, and even plan a few of their own like the American Craft Beer Festival at the Boston Seaport Hotel over the weekend of June 20 (http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/).

Last edited by GoBob; Apr 14, 2008 at 1:39 pm Reason: fixed link for festival
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TMOliver
...Shiner Black Lager
Okay, so I took the plunge on Shiner '97 this weekend.

Pulled a frosted Pilsner glass out of the freezer and poured it. Have to say that the first thing I thought was, "Oh my...this looks exactly like Guinness Stout." But, encouraged by the words on the label, "Don't be afraid of the dark", I pressed on.

Very tasty and not at all as "strong-flavored" as Guinness, but still very much a different "presence" from the Shiner Bock, I normally drink.

So, I shall no longer be afraid of the dark or of lagers in general as long as it is Shiner Black Lager.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not really much of a beer connoisseur, but given a choice, I like Asahi, Carlsberg, the Czech Budweiser, Staropramen, Shultheiss (which is a small German brewery), or just even a plain old regular Budweiser. Beck's, Foster's and Stella's are all good, too.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
BridgePort IPA
Full Sail Amber
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
When in Germany : Kloster Andechs, Krombacher Pils and most Dunkles Weizen
In California : Henry Weinhard
In Thailand : Beer Chang
In Copenhagen : Carlsberg Elephant
In England : Double Diamond
In Australia : will be there next month and looking for a good brew.
Preferably a Bitter type.
Beer Chang? Seriously? Yikes! Whatever works for you.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Tusker as of lately....
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Apologies to Starwood Lurker

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Pulled a frosted Pilsner glass out of the freezer and poured it. Have to say that the first thing I thought was, "Oh my...this looks exactly like Guinness Stout."
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
So, I shall no longer be afraid of the dark or of lagers in general as long as it is Shiner Black Lager.
The Shiner Black Lager is an example of what Germans call "schwarzbier". Except for its color, it has nothing in common with Guinness or any other ale, dark or pale. A good German example of the style is made by Koestritzer. Several of the best schwarzbiers in the U.S. are made in Utah -- and, no, I can't explain why. At a guess, perhaps because it's a low-alcohol style, and Utah makes it difficult for local brewers to show off their abilities on more potent brews.

The other thing I'll note is that you should not drink lighter-flavored beers like a schwarzbier (heck, I'd argue ANY beers) from a frosted or frozen glass. That over-chills your drink and you don't get all of the flavors the brewer worked so hard to put into the beer. And the condensation of atmospheric moisture on the inside of the glass dilutes the beer, having a similar effect as the too-cold temperature.

Too often, especially in the U.S., beer is served too cold. A bar advertising "the coldest beer in town" wouldn't get my business.

While it is ultimately a subjective decision, the proper serving temperature to get the most flavor from a lager such as a pilsner would be around 7 degrees C/45 degrees F; a darker lager like schwarzbier or a wheat beer should be about a degree C/couple of degrees F warmer. Ales would be at their best when served at about 13 degrees C/55 degrees F, and really big strong beers like some of the Belgian Trappist ales or English barleywines show off their complexities when served at just below room temperature; call it 15 degrees C/60 degrees F.

Starwood Lurker, my thanks and my apologies for using your post to create a "teachable moment" -- and a little bit of a rant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.