Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Local" Unique Restaurants to Die for... (non-chain)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Local" Unique Restaurants to Die for... (non-chain)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Barbecued Chicken Heaven

Brooks' House of Barbecue on NY Rt. 7 just west of Oneonta, New York.

I was told to try this place while in the area last weekend and it was gooood advice. Brooks' has some of the best barbecued chicken I've ever tasted.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Talking Monsterburgers!

speaking of places in the middle of nowhere... lol

I want to sink my teeth into one of these monster burgers before I die:

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub
1452 Woodland Road
Clearfield, Pa
814-765-7190

my buddy and I almost set out to go there when they had the 9lb burger,
but it started snowing a little and we chickened out... so this girl Kate from NJ
went and finished it in under 3 hours, she was featured on Good Morning America, etc.

This time they have a 15lb burger for you to try, or finish with a friend in under three hours and its free (costs like $50 bux I think) and you must call like an hour before you go there so they can kill a cow and cook it for you.

I doubt I would even want to finish it but a little taste and a picture for bragging rights would be nice!

--Russ
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Little hole in the wall Mexican joint in Noe Valley--San Francisco with AMAZING, really fresh, and delicious food. "Mi Lindo Yucatan" its on 24th street on the north side b/w Noe & Castro.

-W
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
On a business trip to KC a couple weeks ago I managed to break out with a colleague and head over to the original Arthur Bryant's for lunch.

A lot has been said about this place, and some people seem to have issues with it, but on July 19 all I can say is "Oh My Goodness", the brisket and ribs were right on the mark. The place was just humming.

This has been on my list of barbecue destinations for a long time, so it was just awesome to finally get there, and in leaving already longing to return.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Had dinner at Da Nico Ristorante on Mulberty Street in Little Italy the other night

Figure there are a load of one-off restaurants there that are unique to NYC

What is everyone's favorite Italian place to eat in Manhattan?

--Russ
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:08 pm

Hy Vong in Miami.

Amazing hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restuarant located on SW 8th (more popularily known as Calle Ocho).

Get there at either 6:30 or 8:30; if not, expect to wait an hour (or two!).
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just had a FANTASTIC meal at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill NC. We liked it so much we went back a couple of days later.
Tiny little place with unique decor. We sat out on the patio. These folks serve REAL food! We had an heirloom tomato appetizer that was perfectly simple and absolutely delicious. All entrees both times were great and desserts are wonderful. We had a blueberry cobbler the first night that was just outstanding. Super service too!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dudemius
On a business trip to KC a couple weeks ago I managed to break out with a colleague and head over to the original Arthur Bryant's for lunch.

A lot has been said about this place, and some people seem to have issues with it, but on July 19 all I can say is "Oh My Goodness", the brisket and ribs were right on the mark. The place was just humming.

This has been on my list of barbecue destinations for a long time, so it was just awesome to finally get there, and in leaving already longing to return.
We ate there a few weeks ago and the food was great but MAN what rude service! We'll go back for the food - it was just good enough that I'd put up with that kind of bull.... I guess they know it too!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:42 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I vote for Sadie's in Albuquerque, the best version of the truly unique "New Mexican" style of cuisine.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Last night our party of four tried Sydney's self-proclaimed (but acclaimed) 'Dosai Palace', Malabar.

(If there are two restaurants, does it make them a chain? )

There must have been several hundred dosais consumed here last night; however we were here for the banquet.

Serbvice was failry quick and efficient for two thirds of the night but the kitchen must have been overwhelmed by 8.30PM as our courses took longer to arrive.

Great food - prawns, lamb, butter chicken, vegetable korma, fish curry, daal, chapatis, mango and nut icecream varieties - and in unlimied courses. Very appetising and well presented food.

We visited Crows Nest but the other room is at Darlinghurst in the eastern suburbs,. Find a link with restaurant details here.

Last edited by BiziBB; Aug 12, 2007 at 6:29 am
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 am

JerseyVics: When I lived in NJ (parents and sister still do) and you said you were going to Hoboken for a good meal, you'd wind up in a straight jacket
I wonder if you could PM some instructions on how to get to your favorite burger/rib place via public transportation -- say from either Newark Penn Station or Summit (on the now midtown direct line). Sounds like a great place to try next time I visit the folks.
Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

tell you what Mr. Joe,

next time you're in Jersey... I'll give you a ride to Cubby's (at work we jokingly call it Chubby's... for obvious reasons)

thanks,
--Russ
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Schwart'z in Montreal (St. Laurent Blvd) Best smoked meat in Montreal.

JP
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
je prfre la viande fume chez The Main.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
In Tempe, AZ try Classic Italian Pizzeria - every bit as good as Pizzeria Bianco, but without the hour or more wait in 100+ degree temperatures, not to mention driving downtown and finding/paying for parking.

In Chandler, AZ try Cyclo for authentic Vietnamese, try the Pho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.