Reload this Page >

When portion sizes don't make sense

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

I just finished a Nissen brand microwave ramen noodle type dish. One container, no resealable. I confess I didn't read the package clearly when I purchased it. I just saw 240 calories (of salty starchy goodness). Now, closer inspection reveals that the package contained TWO servings. Jeez. How many people share it, throw away the other half or put it away for later. It really wasn't that big.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I just finished a Nissen brand microwave ramen noodle type dish. One container, no resealable. I confess I didn't read the package clearly when I purchased it. I just saw 240 calories (of salty starchy goodness). Now, closer inspection reveals that the package contained TWO servings. Jeez. How many people share it, throw away the other half or put it away for later. It really wasn't that big.
I see that all the time on stuff that's really more of a single serving. Bran muffins with serving size as 1/2 a muffin. One dish items like you mentioned being two servings. It's just silly. Yes, at least we can figure out by multiplying by two, but it's certainly manipulation of the numbers to make them not look as bad. They hope you don't notice that it's two servings instead of one.

Watch the cereal boxes too, serving sizes all over the map, from 1/2 cup (to make the calorie/sugar/whatever count look lower) to 1 1/4 cups (to make the fiber amount look higher). When you compare cereal labels that way make sure you know what you are comparing amount-wise.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
There's an old joke about portion sizes: "Serves two. (one Hawai'ian.)"
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kaukau
Theres an old joke about portion sizes: "Serves two. (one Hawai'ian.)"

I'll be looking for that on the package labels whenever I'm next in the Star Market.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Most packages don't make sense. I've seen this on individual-size frozen pizzas.

My favorite is still this, found on a pie:

"Serving size: 1/8 pie
Servings per container: About 8"

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When I am in Japan, I can't stand their definition of portion size.

Its way too small. Go to Mosburger and order two full meal sets. I feel like a pig but the hamburger is soo tasty and sooooo small. Can finish it in 3-4 bites.

Then I realize that my Western viewpoint of SUPERSIZING everything just makes everything else look small.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought this thread was about portion sizes in restaurants. Order a salad in NYC, you better share it because they give you an enormous plate of it.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Analise
I thought this thread was about portion sizes in restaurants. Order a salad in NYC, you better share it because they give you an enormous plate of it.
Umm, depends on the restaurant. I've been in places where the entree was about four bites, and that wasn't a tasting menu. Other places you get a mountain of food. And unless you know the restaurant it's impossible to predict whether it's feast or famine.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Umm, depends on the restaurant. I've been in places where the entree was about four bites, and that wasn't a tasting menu. Other places you get a mountain of food. And unless you know the restaurant it's impossible to predict whether it's feast or famine.
This is my experience as well. Salads are tough. You never know what you're going to get.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:29 am

I live in the UK and compared to sizes here, most places I've been to abroad offer huge servings of food, and tiny drinks. In the USA I don't mind too much - I just go to places with salad buffets In Europe I find myself either only eating at lunch time, or leaving half my food

I'd love to see how people eat in places like Japan - quality over quantity is something my taste buds could use....
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Some times it's so they can call something fat free or low calorie, for example, if it has a half gram or less fat per serving, it's fat free.

So if some portion has just under a gram of fat, they can call that two servings, and call the thing fat free.

The government just says the serving size has to be reasonable or something like that, you can't make butter 7,000 servings per container and call it fat free.

My absoulte favorite is the half gallons if ice cream. 14 servings per container (they are actually a bit less than a half gallon now, that's why it's a weird number like 14)

Does anybody really get 14 servings from that?

Or 2.5 servings of soda from a 20 ounce bottle?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Oreos: Serving size: 4 cookies.

Oh come on! I'm at six before my mouth even knows what I'm putting in.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by cordelli

Or 2.5 servings of soda from a 20 ounce bottle?
^ I've always wondered the same myself. I just buy the short 8oz cans so I don't feel bad when I multiply the 36g of sugar by 2.5 for a 20oz bottle
Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911
Oreos: Serving size: 4 cookies.

Oh come on! I'm at six before my mouth even knows what I'm putting in.
A serving size of one would be a lot easier to handle in that case, anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: NWA world perks
I ate a bag of cheetos. 1 bag. calories per serving... 150. servings per container... 2

who the hell eats half of bag of chips with a sub at subway or a similar place

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.