FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When portion sizes don't make sense
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:13 am
CrazyOne

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I just finished a Nissen brand microwave ramen noodle type dish. One container, no resealable. I confess I didn't read the package clearly when I purchased it. I just saw 240 calories (of salty starchy goodness). Now, closer inspection reveals that the package contained TWO servings. Jeez. How many people share it, throw away the other half or put it away for later. It really wasn't that big.
I see that all the time on stuff that's really more of a single serving. Bran muffins with serving size as 1/2 a muffin. One dish items like you mentioned being two servings. It's just silly. Yes, at least we can figure out by multiplying by two, but it's certainly manipulation of the numbers to make them not look as bad. They hope you don't notice that it's two servings instead of one.

Watch the cereal boxes too, serving sizes all over the map, from 1/2 cup (to make the calorie/sugar/whatever count look lower) to 1 1/4 cups (to make the fiber amount look higher). When you compare cereal labels that way make sure you know what you are comparing amount-wise.