Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have added Buffalo Trace to my list. Priced like Knob Creek at around $25 for 750ml, it is smooth with notes of vanilla and spice. I would consider wearing it as an aftershave. So far, I've only come across one brand of bourbon (Wild Turkey) that I don't love. I noticed a high end Rebel Yell on the shelf but will save that for another day.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by jra3
Though I usually drink Makers Mark or Knob Creek in my Manhattans, I have a deep love in my heart for Evan Williams Single Barrel. I haven't found it very often in local liquor stores, but it was easy to find up in New Hampshire when I was in college. And cheap too - used to run 20 bucks for a 750, looks like it goes for a bit more now.
Buying some cheap whisk(e)y last week for a Tailgater, I picked out one of the favorites of my youth (back when the price of a bottle was a significant factor in choice, and Old Crow was the usual tipple), Evan Williams Green Label, the bottom of the line, a little more than $11 a liter.

Surprised, after using it for a Manhattan on a cool night, then with water the next evening, to find it a Hell of a lot better than expected, and certainly comparable to brands selling for considerably more. As with wine, price may be an indicator, but not always a good judgement factor.

I continue to rank Ancient Age among the brands I'd not knowingly consume. ....And although mixing Bourbon (or Tennessee whisky) with CocaCola is an offense somewhere between outright heresy and mopery in a public conveyance, I recall that even the most flavor conscious of drinkers often couldn't tell the difference between a little less Old Crow and more of a "better brand" when doused with Coke.

I'll admit to avoiding Wild Turkey and Crown Royal like the plague, two brands foisted upon us by Madison Avenue Mad Men using the evidence, Chivas Regal's history from Doyle Dane Bernbach, that clever marketing and packaging can make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have no idea where I'm going or what I'll do next, ^
retire, its fun!!!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonerman
retire, its fun!!!
Not ready financially. It will take a while to find a job that is nothing like the last one. In the meantime, I've gone back to school and applied for admission to the Nursing program.

My house is on the market as we had been planning for some time to downsize. I've considered moving to the active adult community where my in-laws live and may well do that in a couple years even without retiring. I'll admit that does look like fun.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Wild Turkey, 80 proof
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:35 pm

Somebody else is buying - Pappy 23 or Parker Beam 27. On my dime - Elijah Craig 18, Woody, or Basil. For home - Elmer T Lee or Knob. I was given a bottle of the 20 yr Hirsch distilled in VA. It's the first whisky over 18 yrs that I didn't like. Don't mind at all when my guests hit that. wj
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I added 1792 Ridgemont Reserve to my tried list. The bottle currently sits on top of my liquor cabinet for a spur of the moment snort. Barton Brands are not known as top shelf drink, but this is quite nice and milder than the 94 proof on the label might suggest. The bottle itself is impressive and weighs more than the contents. It's a temptation to keep the bottle after it's been emptied, maybe to hold the water that I occasionally mix with spirits.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:42 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I was recently introduced to Bulleit Bourbon and it pretty much competes well with Knobb Creek and Woodford Reserve in everything but price. 90 proof, 30% rye, a hint of honey in the nose, and nice oak finish.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sometimes the bourbon is different in the US and export market! I learned this the hard way. Early Times sold in Japan and Australia is excellent, a true bourbon and aged in 100% new charred barrels. But the US product is completely different, with a far worse taste. After much puzzling about this, I finally discovered that for the US market it is sold as a "Kentucky whisky" because it doesn't meet the legal definition of Bourbon (while the export product does!), and it is 20% aged in used charred barrels. Hence the completely different taste (and loss of character and nuance). A shame that brands are manipulated this way! I'm sure other bourbon suffers a similar fate, so be aware that the taste can vary by country, even when made in Kentucky.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
Sometimes the bourbon is different in the US and export market! I learned this the hard way. Early Times sold in Japan and Australia is excellent, a true bourbon and aged in 100% new charred barrels. But the US product is completely different, with a far worse taste. After much puzzling about this, I finally discovered that for the US market it is sold as a "Kentucky whisky" because it doesn't meet the legal definition of Bourbon (while the export product does!), and it is 20% aged in used charred barrels. Hence the completely different taste (and loss of character and nuance). A shame that brands are manipulated this way! I'm sure other bourbon suffers a similar fate, so be aware that the taste can vary by country, even when made in Kentucky.
I pity the visitor from Japan who stocks up at the duty free.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by par8thed View Post
Please don't confuse Jack Daniels with Bourbon. JD is Tennessee Whiskey.

[QUOTE=Starwood Lurker;12391363]Tell that to the FA's on American Airlines.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

I am not a bourbon drinker, but do hail from Kentucky and would just like to clear up the bourbon definition.

What is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey?

USA Legal Statute Requirements for Whiskey to be called Bourbon

i) Must be made from a mash containing a minimum of 51% and a maximum of 79% corn.

– Other grains commonly used include rye, barley and wheat.

– The varying amounts used of these other grains is part of the reason different brands vary in flavour.

ii) Must be distilled at less than 80% alc/vol

iii) Must be stored in charred, new, white oak barrels at no higher than 62.5 alc/vol for a minimum of 2 years.

iv) To be called Kentucky Bourbon the Whiskey must have been produced and aged in Kentucky.

vi) To be called a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey all of the Whiskey in the bottle must have the above characteristics i.e. not blended with other Whiskey’s.

vii) Other Whiskeys

a) American Whiskey

– Not aged or bottled in Kentucky, or does not meet other Bourbon requirements.

b) Kentucky Whiskey

– Not aged in new charred oak barrels as Bourbon requires, but is aged in Kentucky, or does not meet other Bourbon requirements.

c) Rye Whiskey

– Mash containing at least 51% rye grain (Canadian Whiskey is rye based)

d) Tennessee Whiskey

– Made in Tennessee not Kentucky

– Does not use Kentucky limestone water

– Different filtration process

– Otherwise similar process

e) Blends (any)

– Bourbon Whiskey blended with non Bourbon Whiskey or spirit, may contain other additives (color etc.) also.

– For example Brands labeled “ Distillery Blend” or similar.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:45 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by gnggng
I am not a bourbon drinker, but do hail from Kentucky and would just like to clear up the bourbon definition.

What is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey?

USA Legal Statute Requirements for Whiskey to be called Bourbon

i) Must be made from a mash containing a minimum of 51% and a maximum of 79% corn.

– Other grains commonly used include rye, barley and wheat.

– The varying amounts used of these other grains is part of the reason different brands vary in flavour.

ii) Must be distilled at less than 80% alc/vol

iii) Must be stored in charred, new, white oak barrels at no higher than 62.5 alc/vol for a minimum of 2 years.

iv) To be called Kentucky Bourbon the Whiskey must have been produced and aged in Kentucky.

vi) To be called a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey all of the Whiskey in the bottle must have the above characteristics i.e. not blended with other Whiskey’s.

vii) Other Whiskeys

a) American Whiskey

– Not aged or bottled in Kentucky, or does not meet other Bourbon requirements.

b) Kentucky Whiskey

– Not aged in new charred oak barrels as Bourbon requires, but is aged in Kentucky, or does not meet other Bourbon requirements.

c) Rye Whiskey

– Mash containing at least 51% rye grain (Canadian Whiskey is rye based)

d) Tennessee Whiskey

– Made in Tennessee not Kentucky

– Does not use Kentucky limestone water

– Different filtration process

– Otherwise similar process

e) Blends (any)

– Bourbon Whiskey blended with non Bourbon Whiskey or spirit, may contain other additives (color etc.) also.

– For example Brands labeled “ Distillery Blend” or similar.
Thanks for the great details, but I don't think that par8thed or myself are confused about what differentiates Jack Daniels from Kentucky Straight Bourbon. The FA's on American Airlines, however, are very confused on this issue. If you ask for bourbon, they will hand you Jack Daniels.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Thanks for the great details, but I don't think that par8thed or myself are confused about what differentiates Jack Daniels from Kentucky Straight Bourbon. The FA's on American Airlines, however, are very confused on this issue. If you ask for bourbon, they will hand you Jack Daniels.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Time to switch to DL, where the last time I asked for bourbon, I was given a bottle of Woodford Reserve. (too bad they don't handle everything else as well)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Makers Mark
It has always been good to me.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Has anyone gone on the Maker's Mark Distillery Tour? If yes, is it as fun as the commercials make it look?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.