45 Oud Sluis Netherlands
46 Combal Zero Italy
47 Le Quartier Français South Africa Best in Mid East & Africa
48 Taillevent France
49 Bocuse France
50 Les Ambassadeurs France

http://www.theworlds50best.com/2007_list.html
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:41 pm

Wonder if you need to serve the products of the sponsors mentioned to be considered for this list.I have had lunch at the French Laundry it was nice but I've had better at local restaurants,maybe I caught them on a bad day.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Number of those places I probably could afford: 0.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by thebug622
Wonder if you need to serve the products of the sponsors mentioned to be considered for this list.I have had lunch at the French Laundry it was nice but I've had better at local restaurants,maybe I caught them on a bad day.
It is interesting that the UK, not generally known for their good food, has as many or more restaurants (8) on the list as any country, with the exception of France. Also interesting that they can't count. As you read down, they claim that the U.S. has seven on the list. I was able to count 8.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
These lists are always fun, but rather silly. I much like Tetsuya's, but #5 in the world? And Rockpool is fine, but I can think of a half dozen better restaurants in the US mid-atlantic that are superior (and not on the list). And then there are the restaurants on here based solely on past reputation and little else...
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
[QUOTE=ILuvParis;7643786]It is interesting that the UK, not generally known for their good food......QUOTE]

No, it's just that people keep reverting to type and saying this!

Saying that England doesn't have good food is like saying that the only food available in the US is the Burger - both utterly a myth, both you will still hear from people too lazy to discover the truth, and both, IMO insulting.

The UK, in the last 15-20 years, (not the last 1-2 years) has seen an explosion in the number of highly rated restaurants not only in London but outside the capital and well into the countryside. We have also seen a significant increase in the media coverage of high quality cooking in the UK. Even the humble British Pub is starting to change - yes the pies, and fish n Chips can be easily found - but we are seeing, on almost a daily basis, old fashioned pubs closing and reopening with an emphasis on good food, some even go so far to call them selves "gastro pubs".

Yes, our home grown wine still isn't up to much, but then again there is always our beer!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
[QUOTE=Kettering Northants QC;7644181]
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
It is interesting that the UK, not generally known for their good food......QUOTE]

No, it's just that people keep reverting to type and saying this!

Saying that England doesn't have good food is like saying that the only food available in the US is the Burger - both utterly a myth, both you will still hear from people too lazy to discover the truth, and both, IMO insulting.

The UK, in the last 15-20 years, (not the last 1-2 years) has seen an explosion in the number of highly rated restaurants not only in London but outside the capital and well into the countryside. We have also seen a significant increase in the media coverage of high quality cooking in the UK. Even the humble British Pub is starting to change - yes the pies, and fish n Chips can be easily found - but we are seeing, on almost a daily basis, old fashioned pubs closing and reopening with an emphasis on good food, some even go so far to call them selves "gastro pubs".

Yes, our home grown wine still isn't up to much, but then again there is always our beer!
What I said was that the UK isn't "generally known for their good food," which doesn't differ substantially with what you said.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:16 am
Suspended

No Swiss restaurant mentioned, uh?

Guess they are just expensive and not very innovative.

Last edited by SwissCircle; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:18 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:20 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
So many restaurants, so little time.

I've only eaten at 4 of them. Clearly time to up the count. Though I have eaten at a great number of the second tier reataurants by the same chefs.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
4 The French Laundry USA Best in the Americas
5 Tetsuya's Australia Best in Australasia
IMHO these two are the most over-rated restaurants in the world. While The French Laundry might have possibly the worlds greatest food, it is let down each time I visit by appalling customer services.

Tetsuya's is the opposite - mediocre food and fantastic customer service.

Good restaurants, yes
Worth visiting, yes
Best in the world, no.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
When this list came out last year it was a bit of a laugher. They have cleaned it up a bit but it still is a pretty tough list to put together, or accept for that matter. I have eaten at 8 of the places on the list. I dont think their order is too crazy but I dont completely agree with it. I would not for instance, place St. John ahead of L'Arpege and Chez Panisse. In fact, I wouldnt place Daniel ahead of them either. I also prefer LeBernardin and L'Arpege to Jean Georges. I would on the other hand, probably place Gagnaire at the top of the ones I had been to as much as I have a soft spot in my heart for Taillevant.

Then there is the whole French Laundry/Per Se thing that I just keep telling myself Im going to have to break down and try one of them but I can never bring myself to do it........
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
I'm surprised there aren't any cheesesteak joints from Philly on that list.

Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Lots of French restaurants, we had friend visit there a few months ago, 3 restaurants in a row refused them service because they were U.S.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by shirts6
Lots of French restaurants, we had friend visit there a few months ago, 3 restaurants in a row refused them service because they were U.S.
I simply dont believe this.

I havent been to France since last fall, but I was there at that time. As were lots of other Americans at the meeting I was at. And I have been there a number of other times and I have never had this happen and havent heard of it happening. Moreover, I have been to several of the ones on this list in France. Taillevent on each visit, and I have been there a fair number of times, has had better service than any other restaurant I have been to. Pierre Gagnaire has also had outstanding service on the multiple times I have been there. I should also add that my wife and I were in Taillevent in the first week of September 2001. A week or so after September 11 we received in the mail a hand written note from the owner saying that he noticed a New York address on the reservation we just had and that he hoped we and our loved ones were safe.

Oh and the reason there are lots of French restaurants is that they tend to be real good. Several of the ones in the US are also French.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Apr 26, 2007 at 8:42 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by shirts6
Are you sure you didn't dream that conversation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.