Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian and Vegan Food: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:30 am

Vegetarian in Nashville...

...I know...seems ironic.

But there are 2 really great places:
1) Woodlands. The best Indian food in Nashville, and it's completely vegetarian. No meat on the menu!

2) Grins (pronounced like the color green). On Vanderbilt's campus. It's Kosher and I think it's even Vegan.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai

Orange County, CA: Mothers Market and Kitchen - mothersmarket.com
Good quality, reasonable priced vegan or vegetarian breakfasts and lunches.
I discovered a new brand at Mothers the other day. Have anyone ever heard of Helen's Foods? I had the Thai Yellow Curry with Tofu Steaks & Vegetables over Rice and it was surprisingly good (though the fresh avocado i added might have helped).
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the best veggie meals I've had were at Buddhist Temples.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Some of the best veggie meals I've had were at Buddhist Temples.
...and, I would add, Hare Krshna temples.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:58 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Reviving this to add a few more:

San Francisco and Berkeley
Cafe Gratitude ...casual Berkeley-sorta place, but good food.

Cambridge
Upstairs on the Square. Good vegetarian menu. Good food overall.

I also noticed that Boston now has a vegan raw foods restaurant (or maybe it's been there a while and I didn't realize). Grezzo. Anyone been? I didn't get there this time.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by caleo
I discovered a new brand at Mothers the other day. Have anyone ever heard of Helen's Foods? I
I buy Helen's occasionally and have liked what I've tried.

To add to the restaurant list, a great vegan place by me - a Fort Worth original that has won national awards.

Spiral Diner
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:18 pm

Ooh, a thread with which I can relate as a near-vegan (I eat goat cheese on occasion...).

Before I hit the road, I always check http://www.happycow.com, and it has done me well. I even found vegan grub in Pensacola, FL. My personal favourites are:

DC:

Asylum- A mainly vegan biker bar with an amazing brunch.
Sticky Fingers- A fully vegan bakery with killer brownies and cookies.

NYC:

Red Bamboo- I am only familiar with the Manhattan location, but I always eat enough to make myself sick, as everything is good.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
In Milwaukee I can recommend Palomino's (http://www.myspace.com/palominobar). It's actually a bar with a corner bar/hipster rockabilly vibe to it, but the food is the best bar food I've had!

The food is basic bar food, wings, burgers, anything fried (tator tots, fired pickles, hushpuppies, etc), but they actually have a vegan version of everything on the menu. I eat meat (was vegatarian for 12 years) and actually prefer their vegan riblet sandwich to the non-vegan one I usually order that with an order of tator tots, asian slaw and the vegan pinky horseradish sauce to dip the tots in and wash it all down with a couple pints of Guiness The wife gets the wings (spicy, not sissy style) with fried pickles.

The recently converted the dining area to smoke-free, have patio seating in the summer and is only 5 minutes from MKE (as you can tell I'm a really big fan of this joint, it's my favorite bar in Milwaukee).
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
I just spotted this article and thought others might be interested: Meatless in Paris: Dining for vegetarian visitors
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:11 am
gns

Programs: Dividend Miles
Horizon's in Philly - a "meat and potoatoes" vegetarian restaurant is lovely.

http://www.horizonsphiladelphia.com/
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I also noticed that Boston now has a vegan raw foods restaurant (or maybe it's been there a while and I didn't realize). Grezzo. Anyone been? I didn't get there this time.
I did get to Grezzo on a recent Boston trip. It's OK, but I far prefer the vegetarian menu at Upstairs on the Square. And for raw food ...it's hard to top Pure in New York and probably no one will ever measure up to the now-gone Roxanne's.

Specific thoughts on the meal and photos are on my blog.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:09 pm

NYC - Zenith on 48th St. Good for pre-theater.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by gns
Horizon's in Philly - a "meat and potoatoes" vegetarian restaurant is lovely.

http://www.horizonsphiladelphia.com/

Correction! Horizons is actually vegan -- not vegetarian!! And it can be enjoyed by meat-eaters; it's THAT good!!!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Correction! Horizons is actually vegan -- not vegetarian!! And it can be enjoyed by meat-eaters; it's THAT good!!!
Anyone for recommending vegetarian food options in Istanbul? plenty to find? Anything disguised meat (stock/ filling) etc. in seemingly veggie foods?.

The reason I ask is I dined in a Japanese restaurant last night, and ordered steamed asparagus - came with a flaky thing on top, and asked the waiteress who said it was like chips. I wasn't convinced, and requested to speak to the chef, who said they were fish flakes. I of course, returned the dish. Seemingly veggies soups were made of fish stock.

Since then I am extremely wary eating in international restaurants (except indian).
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
The chef/owners there are doing the first ever vegan dinner at the James Beard House in early November. I made a reservation and am eager to attend.

Originally Posted by zoonil
Anyone for recommending vegetarian food options in Istanbul? plenty to find? Anything disguised meat (stock/ filling) etc. in seemingly veggie foods?.
Some Asian countries can be particularly difficult. I've ran into the same things you have where the stocks are fish or chicken based or pork comes on a dish that's supposed to be vegetarian (just had this in Taipei).

I didn't find any similar problems in Turkey. You should find plenty to eat. Have fun.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 22, 2009 at 10:57 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.