Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cereal Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mattkorey
My favorite is Grape Nuts with a little Cinnamon Life thrown in for a kick. I can play tennis four hours and hours off a nice, big bowl of Grape Nuts.
That's my fave, too (Grape Nuts), with some sliced banana or raspberries.
Unfortunately impossible to find when traveling - have not found a hotel yet that carries it.

At home, I have to fend off the "vultures" when I fix a bowl. My cats absolutely adore Grape Nuts, so I don't dare set my bowl down unattended for even a second.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: NWA, AA
I love Frosted Mini Wheats, Reeses Puffs, Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. I like Frosted Flakes (especially with cut up banana) and Frosted Cheerios.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Having a wheat-allergy, I'm stuck Kellogs Corn Pops and Rice Krispies!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
The limited edition Dino-Pebbles spin-off from Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles was heavenly. Unfortunately, I think they just ran it from 1988-1989 or so...

These days, I have a mix of mostly All Bran (extra fiber) along with All Bran Flakes with Yogurt every weekday morning. Sad, but true.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:46 am

About half the time, cereal for breakfast, as follows:

Microwaved oatmeal, topped with a few spoonfuls of wheat germ. Over this I pour low-fat plain, unsweetened kefir, the very sour kind (Lifeway). If I am out of kefir, I use buttermilk. (No rolling of the eyes, please. )

Sometimes, for variety, I use shredded wheat (unsweetened, of course ) instead of oatmeal/wheat germ. With that, I usually opt for buttermilk instead of kefir.

Sometimes--I say this on the grounds that confession is good for the soul -- I have a slice of homemade cornbread (the type with no sugar on it), baked ahead of time and frozen, to be microwaved for breakfast. Over the cornbread, I pour buttermilk. (It's an old Southern dish, one I remember from childhood, although even then no one would have had it for breakfast. Very good, however.)

Yes, I am not joking. This is all very good.

Occasionally I add fresh blueberries if I have them.

On rare occasions I have corn flakes (eek! all that sugar!) with a banana, but when I do, I have that for a light evening meal, not for breakfast.

It's a free world. . . .
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The best bowl of cereal ever is Quaker Corn Bran garnished with the Trail Mix variant of Grape Nuts. Quaker Corn Bran is hard to find (yellow box). Quaker Oat Squares will do in a pinch, but the Corn Bran is to die for. I bring some to work with me every day.

Kellogg's Smart Start is excellent also. We used to buy Smart Start for the grownups and Fruity Cheerios for our kid, but when said kid sampled the Smart Start one day he ate all of it, leaving us with the Fruity Cheerios, which take some getting used to.

I'm sorry, I've really tried to like the Kashi cereals but they all taste like rough-cut shards of shirt cardboard to me. Yccch.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by BearX220
to work with me every day.

Kellogg's Smart Start is excellent also. We used to buy Smart Start for the grownups and Fruity Cheerios for our kid, but when said kid sampled the Smart Start one day he ate all of it, leaving us with the Fruity Cheerios, which take some getting used to.
Smart Start's name is a kind of a mktg ploy. It does taste great, but it is not very good for you (or so I was reading in CR or some cereal nutrition analysis article). Same goes with the oh-so-addictive tasting Cracklin' Oat Bran.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
...Sometimes--I say this on the grounds that confession is good for the soul -- I have a slice of homemade cornbread (the type with no sugar on it), baked ahead of time and frozen, to be microwaved for breakfast. Over the cornbread, I pour buttermilk. (It's an old Southern dish, one I remember from childhood, although even then no one would have had it for breakfast. Very good, however.)...
LOL. I usually crumble the cornbread up into a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. But, I usually do this as a late-nighter before bed, not for breakfast.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My office got those little boxes of Kellogg's cereals and little cartons of milk. We are all now cereal fiends and fight over our favorites. I had burned out on cereal after eating so much for the Kellogg's AA miles, but have found that I enjoy it again.

Our office munches are free. Another topic to discuss.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:48 am

I love "Special K with Strawberries", although I'm trying to move away from that to brands that are a little healthier (i.e. less sugar, more fiber). I always try to add fresh fruit to whatever cereal I'm eating and I really appreciate it when hotels have fruit or nuts available to add to the cereal. Summer time is the best - for me, nothing beats fresh berries (especially strawberries) or peaches!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1P
I love plain Cheerios with enough very cold skim milk to cover the cereal. I also like "Old Fashioned" Quaker Oats cooked in the microwave. I like fruit on the side not in my cereals.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
[QUOTE=pbjag;7300833]That's my fave, too (Grape Nuts), with some sliced banana or raspberries.
Unfortunately impossible to find when traveling - have not found a hotel yet that carries it.[QUOTE]

In the beginning, soon after filling the void and creating the waters and the earth, the Inspirer of Belief gave us Raisin Bran. Later, having created fruits of all sorts to be borne upon it, he gave unto us Grape Nuts. Having done so, a variey of cheap imitators, false prophets, and evil angels came upon the scene and filled the cereal aisles with the sum of all vanities.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:16 pm
DEK

I'm going to run out and invest in sugar a.s.a.p.!

I eat Barbara's Organic Grain Shop cereal topped with blueberries. I use skim milk and let it soak up the milk for about 15-30 minutes and then put in some more. The soggier the better!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, NW Silver
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup cereal and Frosted Mini-wheats. Also any version of Lucky Charms (store brand or whatever).^
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my office mini boxes of cereals are now bribes. If someone wants to make friends or butter up someone, cereal is it. Nothing else is allowed. You can buy them at the store or obtain them in our kitchen (favorites go fast). Anything with sugar tops the demand list. No one seems to want (or admit to wanting) bran flakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.