Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The very bestest bar in the whole wide world ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The very bestest bar in the whole wide world ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
The Newhampton, on the outskirts of Wolverhampton

A place where high court judges sit and drink great beer in the same bar as some people likely to be up in front of them - never any trouble, everyone knows why they're there... The Beer!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The "No Music No Life" Jazz Bar in Gwangju, Korea. The owner is a great person who knows his genre, serves good wines and spirits & snacks and the atmosphere is really extraordniary.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:45 am

Angel's Share in NYC.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
El Chapultepec, or "the 'pec" in Denver. Tiny place, but killer jazz.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by jaginger
El Chapultepec, or "the 'pec" in Denver. Tiny place, but killer jazz.
There's a place across from City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco that fits this description. I forget the name, but it belongs on my list. And for that matter, perhaps so does the Condor Club up the street (although it may be too "famous" to qualify).
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
It was the Rainbow Room at the top of the GE Building in Manhattan. Great selection of malts and a view of the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building and much of the rest of Manhattan. It was especially beautiful pre September 11 . Now that they have turned this into a private party room Im going to have to cogitate a bit on it.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
The Newhampton, on the outskirts of Wolverhampton

A place where high court judges sit and drink great beer in the same bar as some people likely to be up in front of them - never any trouble, everyone knows why they're there... The Beer!
Now this is interesting.
As a former presenter on BRMB Radio I didn't think there was actually a single pub in Wolverhampton worth drinking in.
Every time I went into one the carpet was furry although not as much as the barmaid's top lip.
And the beer was uniformly lousy.
Apart from the ambience - what made it so good ?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:23 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
The Sea Lounge Monte Carlo at the Monte Carlo Beach hotel. ^
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

The Buena Vista in San Francisco.

A tourist trap, but a really good tourist trap.

Nothing like a couple of Irish Coffees with a hearty breakfast and a view of the Golden Gate.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Feb 3, 2007 at 11:40 pm
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
It was the Rainbow Room at the top of the GE Building in Manhattan. Great selection of malts and a view of the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building and much of the rest of Manhattan. It was especially beautiful pre September 11 . Now that they have turned this into a private party room Im going to have to cogitate a bit on it.
You wild old romantic^ A lovely memory was the Rainbow Room where Rosemary Clooney was performing. a couple of years prior to 9/11. A perfect evening.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Frank's Place, South Bend, IN
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:12 am

The Horny Toad, the Bad Apple, the Flying Machine, and the Bamboo Bar in Bangkok.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Frank's Place, South Bend, IN
No.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:03 am
Commander Catcop

There's nothing thing as the bestest but there are a few I like:

This one bar in London at a luxury hotel. No, not the Ritz and not the bar at the Park Lane Sheraton but on a quiet street that has a great lunch menu and fabulous dining room. The bartender makes purrfect Black Russians. I know it when I'm walking from Davidoff's.

Raffles in Singapore.

Any pub in Scotland or Ireland, esp. Dublin.

The FishTail in Long Beach, introduced by a fellow Flyertalker. Nice Buffalo wings and good beer selection.

The Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

My local favorite: Dorrien's in downtown Jersey City. Their "regular" food from Bangers and Mash to Colorado Garlic touched Ribeye is very good. I've brought a few Flyertalkers over there and the staff knows me as "CATMAN."

A great bar is one where I can still smoke a cigar, but I know that's becoming rarer and rarer. That makes me nostaglic for the old bar at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers where after the Catman Do 3 a group of us had drinks and smoked cigars. The bar is gone and the place completely rebuilt. I was there a few months ago and still could remember that night (and several other times I met with Flyertalkers there.)
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catman
There's nothing thing as the bestest but there are a few I like:

This one bar in London at a luxury hotel. No, not the Ritz and not the bar at the Park Lane Sheraton but on a quiet street that has a great lunch menu and fabulous dining room. The bartender makes purrfect Black Russians. I know it when I'm walking from Davidoff's.

Raffles in Singapore.

Any pub in Scotland or Ireland, esp. Dublin.

The FishTail in Long Beach, introduced by a fellow Flyertalker. Nice Buffalo wings and good beer selection.

The Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

My local favorite: Dorrien's in downtown Jersey City. Their "regular" food from Bangers and Mash to Colorado Garlic touched Ribeye is very good. I've brought a few Flyertalkers over there and the staff knows me as "CATMAN."

A great bar is one where I can still smoke a cigar, but I know that's becoming rarer and rarer. That makes me nostaglic for the old bar at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers where after the Catman Do 3 a group of us had drinks and smoked cigars. The bar is gone and the place completely rebuilt. I was there a few months ago and still could remember that night (and several other times I met with Flyertalkers there.)
You haven't drank in the Luisitania Bar.
It's full of tattoed,moustachioed roughnecks who fart and spit and swear.
And that's just the women.
Christ,it's rough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.