Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

I would go back to _______ just to eat _______.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I would go back to _______ just to eat _______.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Troy, Ohio for Lee's Garden Spot. Lemon Chicken in Brown Sauce with Pork Fried Rice. Going next Friday...yum!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Osaka for whale sashimi.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
(a fun thread worth reviving)

My original choices

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Kayenta, Arizona, for a Navajo Taco at the Amigo Cafe.

Any In-N-Out Burger, anywhere, anytime.

Monahans, Texas for the ground beef nachos at Leals Mexican Restaurant

The badly misnamed Garden City, Texas, for the little no-name cafe on the courthouse square and its enchilada dinner plate

Kansas City for Gates Barbecue

Eureka, Missouri, for a little downtown family-run cafe that I could find again if I were there but can't remember the name for the toasted ravioli

Reno, Nevada (really!) for sushi (really!) at the Sushi Pier

The Indian Lodge restaurant at Ft. Davis State Park in the Davis Mountains of Texas for the enchilada dinner plate.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, for breakfast at the Frontier Restaurant
are still quite apt.

And I'd add a couple of more

The Kualapu`u Cookhouse on Moloka`i for anything they're serving

Pork Laulau and chicken yakitori at the Hilo Kuhio Grill
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Are there long lines for in’n’out for all locations like I’ve seen by Sfo / Daly City / Salinas? Long car lines that extend out of the big parking lot and into the street. It’s stunning.

I’d return to Nuernberg (Germany) for franconian food - pork shoulder, Karpfen, etc. i especially love Schlenkerla (by top of castle) for their Franconian food and smoked beer.

i can kind of get almost every other cuisine or desired dish in my home city - German food in Sf just isn’t Franconian.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I would fly to Singapore just to eat a bowl of Muthu's fish head curry with rice and veg.

I would fly to Bavaria again just for the Schweinshaxe and a local beer at Bier Adam, in Berchtesgaden.

I would fly to Geneva and make the drive to pretty much any place in Haute-Savoie just to have a good tartiflette (which would be my choice for a last meal, but that's another thread).

If I could turn back the hands of time, I'd go back to my childhood to enjoy one more of my mom's tuna noodle casserole at our family dinner table.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I would drive across town for Tratto's cacio e pepe.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I would drive across town for Tratto's cacio e pepe.
its really good at A Mano on Hayes in San Francisco
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:05 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I would go back to the Czech Republic for svčkov na smetaně, because while I make it, it is so nice to not have to put the labor in to cook it. I would wash it down with a Pilsner Urquell or other Czech beer. Maybe a Budvar, since the best svčkov I had was in Česk Budějovice. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Prague.
work2fly and pudgym29 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I would go back to the Czech Republic for svčkov na smetaně, because while I make it, it is so nice to not have to put the labor in to cook it. I would wash it down with a Pilsner Urquell or other Czech beer. Maybe a Budvar, since the best svčkov I had was in Česk Budějovice. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Prague.
I think I had a heart attack just reading what svčkov na smetaně was - steak in cream sauce right?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:23 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think I had a heart attack just reading what svčkov na smetaně was - steak in cream sauce right?
It is so amazing. Once I'm settled again, if you are ever in my area and give me a week's notice, I'll make it for you, along with dumplings to soak up the cream sauce. It's not sirloin like we think of a sirloin steak. It's more like what we would consider a roast, threaded with bacon, marinated with root veggies, slow roasted, and then once cooked, topped a cream sauce. It isn't horrible for you, because the cream sauce also uses some of the veggies, and you top it with cranberry sauce.

In fact, if I have a Divorce 'Do, I can probably be convinced to cook up a few batches of it as part of a meal.
work2fly and gfunkdave like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Napoli for pizza at Da Michele
Rome for gelato at Giolitti
Paris for fondue at Le Marivaux
Lisbon for paella at Pinoquio
Brugges for Flemish beef stew at Vlaminck 14
Amsterdam for chocolate at Puccini Bomboni
Vienna for schnitzel at Figlmuller
Budapest for strudel at Strudel House
London for fish pie at J Sheekey

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’d return to Nuernberg (Germany) for franconian food - pork shoulder, Karpfen, etc. i especially love Schlenkerla (by top of castle) for their Franconian food and smoked beer.
I'm heading there for a few days this summer, if you have any other recommendations, please PM me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.