Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Pickle thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by BamaVol
i found them here in Central Florida and they’re my new favorite.

<snip picture>
I prefer the Half Sour Pickles that this brand makes. They are found n the refrigerated Kosher section at my local Publix.

Last edited by teddybear99; Nov 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
Tsukemono are one of my absolute favorite Japanese foods, and pickles in general.
One of?
I’ve been sampling and making them for years and have barely scratched through all the different kinds.

Are you thinking of a particular example?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I found these at Publix and decided they’re a nice alternative to Claussens, not as tart or as garlicky.

Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by LapLap
One of?
I’ve been sampling and making them for years and have barely scratched through all the different kinds.

Are you thinking of a particular example?
Well, just the ones served with various meals in Japan. Usually a mixture of various veggies, but always seem to have a very similar pickled flavor.
I guess I meant to say that they (any of them) are usually my favorite part of any Japanese meal they are served with.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:16 am

I adore any dill pickle but especially adore Ba-Tampte Garlic Dill pickles! Have you tried Wickles? They are quite lovely in the spicy pickle realm.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I am really craving fried pickles from Lucille's BBQ.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by corky
Now I am really craving fried pickles from Lucille's BBQ.
Try Lucille's Fried Green Tomatoes too! Yumm.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a fermentation so am posting this here.

I had a glut of rhubarb stems to deal with last week and decided to try immersing them in a vinegar and sugar solution (also added a tiny bit of salt and a few thin slices of ginger).

Delicious!

The pickled rhubarb goes with both savoury and sweet foods. Great with cheese or cold cuts but also chopped up and added to a strawberry compote.

Anyone else pickled their rhubarb?
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not a fermentation so am posting this here.

I had a glut of rhubarb stems to deal with last week and decided to try immersing them in a vinegar and sugar solution (also added a tiny bit of salt and a few thin slices of ginger).

Delicious!

The pickled rhubarb goes with both savoury and sweet foods. Great with cheese or cold cuts but also chopped up and added to a strawberry compote.

Anyone else pickled their rhubarb?
I would try but I never see it in stores and I don’t think it grows well here. Up north it was found in many gardens in my neighborhood. But it was always turned into strawberry-rhubarb pie or dipped in sugar and eaten raw.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would try but I never see it in stores and I don’t think it grows well here. Up north it was found in many gardens in my neighborhood. But it was always turned into strawberry-rhubarb pie or dipped in sugar and eaten raw.
I made a chutney with rhubarb last year, but I just had a back problem (which is resolving) and am keeping things simple. Pickling seemed the easiest way to deal with the stems as, raw, they take up a lot of room in the fridge. Turns out I like them better in the sweetened vinegar than as a chutney, much more versatile too.

But, yes, I see that Florida isn’t the best place to find them: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/MV124

Still, if you ever do come across any it’s a great way to lengthen the time you’d have to use them. So long as the vinegar used isn’t too piquant and abrasive they should taste fine combined with strawberries in a dessert. Or blended and added to a drink, with or without alcohol. Since Aperol has become more and more popular, more and more people seem to be getting a taste for rhubarb, even if they don’t know it!
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I made a chutney with rhubarb last year, but I just had a back problem (which is resolving) and am keeping things simple. Pickling seemed the easiest way to deal with the stems as, raw, they take up a lot of room in the fridge. Turns out I like them better in the sweetened vinegar than as a chutney, much more versatile too.

But, yes, I see that Florida isn’t the best place to find them: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/MV124

Still, if you ever do come across any it’s a great way to lengthen the time you’d have to use them. So long as the vinegar used isn’t too piquant and abrasive they should taste fine combined with strawberries in a dessert. Or blended and added to a drink, with or without alcohol. Since Aperol has become more and more popular, more and more people seem to be getting a taste for rhubarb, even if they don’t know it!
I think it would be an incredible kombucha flavor if I could put my hands on any.
LapLap likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: HH Gold
I was given pickle beer. Not sure if anyone has tried it but I will report back in a few days
LapLap likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

i found them here in Central Florida and they’re my new favorite.

Publix now charges almost ten dollars for a jar of these pickles. That is insanely ridiculous.

I have not bought them at that price point — yet, anyway...
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Cards1234
I was given pickle beer. Not sure if anyone has tried it but I will report back in a few days
I've tried pickle beer before. IIRC, Martin House released a pickle beer a few years ago and that's what I tried.
LapLap likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I've tried pickle beer before. IIRC, Martin House released a pickle beer a few years ago and that's what I tried.
was it any good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.