Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bagels" thread

Consolidated "Bagels" thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We just had a great bagel place open near us in Cockeysville. Goldberg's. They are as good as bagels I have had in NY. I pick them up before 2pm on Friday. A regular Saturday treat now.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We just had a great bagel place open near us in Cockeysville. Goldberg's. They are as good as bagels I have had in NY. I pick them up before 2pm on Friday. A regular Saturday treat now.
Does Goldberg snip a bit off of the Cockeysville bagels when they come out of the oven?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The House of Bagels mini-chain in the San Francisco Bay area makes decent real bagels, even if most of the owners are of Asian origin.

If you happen to be in Palo Alto, California, try Izzy's Brooklyn Bagels on California Avenue. Boiled, kosher, yet open Saturday (presumably with non-Jewish bakers). The main problem with Izzy's is it tends to close at 2 or 3 pm.

After having a bagel at Izzy's, to round off the experience, walk three blocks down California Ave to the hole-in-the-wall Cho's Mandarin Dimsum, kosher bagels followed by pork pot stickers!

As to those who think Noah's Bagels are edible, on behalf of bagel makers everywhere, I apologize.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
A few weeks ago, I had a toasted everything bagel, lox, cream cheese, onion, tomato, and capers at Olde World Bagels in Colorado Springs, Colorado. (Across the street from a decent Doubletree hotel, btw).

This place is pretty far from NYC ... but damn, it was legit. If you ever find yourself out there, it's worth a drive to this place.

http://www.oldeworldbagel.com/
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Dovster
Have you tried BB's Bagels, Alpharetta, Ga? It is near you and listed on the USA Today list as the 2nd best bagels outside of New York.
Anyone had a chance to try BB's Bagels?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:28 am
uk1
Suspended

An unapologetic plug to make people yearn to make far superior bagels at home ....... I give you my absolute word that you will never buy a bagel out that is as good as a home-baked bagel .... once you get the technique, then you will be hooked. The Bagel yearnings will creep up and get you ... particularly late at night. Have you ever smelled baking bagels in your own kitchen late at night......?

This was the last patch cooked in the pizza oven. Soft tops, chewy sweet middles and lovely pert bottoms! They must all be different shapes and some charred. Process with a couple of batches of finished bagels just before scoffing.

[IMG]

Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The House of Bagels mini-chain in the San Francisco Bay area makes decent real bagels, even if most of the owners are of Asian origin.
Love House of Bagels...used to go there every Sunday when I lived in SF.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I have to agree. I don't know the specific bakery, but one of our consultants used to fly regularly with a dozen from Montreal to our location in East Tennessee and they were the best I've ever had. Then he went on a diet and I never saw him eat anything but apples.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dfwoods
I cannot compare them to real NY bagels, but I think the best in the Chicago area are from:

New York Bagel and Bialy
4714 W. Touhy
Lincolnwood, IL

I think they have another location on Dempster in Skokie, but I don't see an address. I have found that their traditional bagels are the best -- slightly hard outside, but dense & chewy inside. But I would avoid the trendy yuppie ones that they also sell. They definitely use the real cooking method as you can see the vats for boiling and the ovens for baking. No steam injection ovens that create the nasty "round bread with a hole in the middle" type of bagel.
I grew up in Lincolnwood and agree. I now live further north and whenever I drive up Edens I'll stop.

I always ask if they have any hot, when available they are best ever anywhere.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
This, so very much.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Israel is finally Jewish!

Believe it or not, until a few years ago bagels were unknown in Israel!

Today, there are several places where you can get acceptable bagels but the best are at Tal Bagels in Tel Aviv. They also have great shmears to put on them, including excellent chopped liver.
As mentioned in the above post from 2006, Israel had no bagels until about 10 years ago. (It did have very large, round, breads with a hole in the middle but it in no other way resembled a bagel).

Real bagels are still hard to find here (outside of Tal's) but a double miracle happened in the last month. The first part is that pastrami, as New Yorkers know it, became available in supermarkets.

The second part is that a few days ago Jewish rye bread appeared on the market (although, to date, I know of only one supermarket in my area that has it).

Today, for the first time, I was able to have pastrami on rye in Israel! Alas, the closest thing that I can find to Deli mustard is French's Spicy Brown, but after 36 years of living here without pastrami on rye I am not about to complain about the mustard.

(Oddly enough, Hebrew National products are not sold in the Hebrew nation.)
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Ok well then a nice gift to the relatives in Israel might be to bring some nice frozen real rye bread and bagels. There of course are none here in Oregon but we import ours from Los Angeles!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Bagels factory

Hi all,

It is very interesting to see how they make a bagels. It's called behind the scene. I watch it all. They have everything, plain, onions, garlic, poppy, sesame, and whole wheat. You will like it.

Here's a video:

Enjoy!
FlyerEC and boxo like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
As mentioned in the above post from 2006, Israel had no bagels until about 10 years ago. (It did have very large, round, breads with a hole in the middle but it in no other way resembled a bagel).

Real bagels are still hard to find here (outside of Tal's) but a double miracle happened in the last month. The first part is that pastrami, as New Yorkers know it, became available in supermarkets.

The second part is that a few days ago Jewish rye bread appeared on the market (although, to date, I know of only one supermarket in my area that has it).

Today, for the first time, I was able to have pastrami on rye in Israel! Alas, the closest thing that I can find to Deli mustard is French's Spicy Brown, but after 36 years of living here without pastrami on rye I am not about to complain about the mustard.

(Oddly enough, Hebrew National products are not sold in the Hebrew nation.)
I’m stunned that bagels weren’t part of the Israeli diet until recent years. How about beigels as they’re called in London??
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

It is very interesting to see how they make a bagels. It's called behind the scene. I watch it all. They have everything, plain, onions, garlic, poppy, sesame, and whole wheat. You will like it.

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/g_t97SW0Yug

Enjoy!
Thanks , N830MH , really enjoyed this video too .
Guess what after watching though ⁉️

Had bagel craving - so eventually caved in & wonder where I could get similar & here are 2 of 3 😉
Success shown below from Two Men Bagel House

The walnut and cream cheese bagel was consumed before I remembered to take a photo . Below are halves of other 2 saved for the following day - was surprisingly just as delicious 😋

“ Lamb of God “ - with lamb 🙄 & “ Mademoiselle “ corned beef & honey baked ham
N830MH and boxo like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.