Wiki Posts
Search

Best craft/regional/local microbrew beer? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO OP Serf
Best craft/regional/local microbrew beer? [Merged threads]

For me, it would have to be anything from Deschutes out of Bend, OR. I've heard the stuff down in PDX is even better than the stuff we get up here in Western Washington, but there's nothing better than a Twilight ale with some nice BBQ or an Obsidian Stout with a big piece of meat. Mmmmmmm........microbrew beer arrrrrrrrrrrr.

- Ben
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I really love Shipyard Export Ale out of Portland. I can't wait to try Sea Dog Apricot which will be released next month. http://www.shipyard.com

4 more weeks until I'm back in Portland!! ^
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:15 am

Well technically not local, but definitely Microbrew. De Garre house beer in Brugge, Belgium.

I really like Anchor Steam.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
This is truly a question for which YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) because it is ultimately a subjective judgement what is "best". Do you like stouts and porters? Wheat beers? Belgian lambics? IPAs?

Asking what's the best beer is like asking what's the best food. Personally, at different times I'm in the mood for different styles of beer, just as sometimes I want a steak and other times I'd select seafood.

So I'll bow to the wisdom of Fred Eckhardt; Fred is universally acknowledged by his fellow reporters on the beer beat (and, if you didn't know, I get paid to write about beer for a couple of magazines) as the dean of American beer writers, as well as the man who literally wrote the book on sake -- his name's on the title page of the most-cited English-language guide to that beverage.

Well into his 80s, Fred is still covering stories better than most of us ever could while devoting himself to fine foods, delicious drinks and intelligent and beautiful women -- which is why so many of us who know him say we want to grow up to be Fred Eckhardt.

Anyway, as you might imagine considering his resume and reputation, Fred is frequently asked "what's the best beer?"

His stock answer:

"The one in front of me."
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Anyway, as you might imagine considering his resume and reputation, Fred is frequently asked "what's the best beer?"

His stock answer:

"The one in front of me."
God Bless Fred.

Had a friend in from Chicago the past two nights and took him out for Thai the first night, which we washed down with a couple of Bridgeport IPAs, which is very high IBUs, and a top three fave of mine.

Last night we started out at an oyster bar for a quick appetizer and brew before heading out for dinner. I ordered Deschute's Mirror Pond Ale and my companion opted for a Widmer Hefeweissen (with a the obligatory slice of lemon). Either was perfect for the food.

Basically, whatever was in front us in terms of brew options was the best beer either of us had ever had. ^
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yes, the topic of the best beer is really, really subjective. That said, the best beers made in the U.S. come from a Maryland microbrewery, Dogfish Head. They have made some of the most innovative brews in the world recently, including the 120 Minute I.P.A. , which was my introduction to their beers. Several of their products have won multiple awards, and deservedly so.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Next time you're in Australia, head to Redoak. The ChocCherry Stout is the worlds greatest beer!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum,
Originally Posted by tkey75
Yes, the topic of the best beer is really, really subjective. That said, the best beers made in the U.S. come from a Maryland microbrewery, Dogfish Head. They have made some of the most innovative brews in the world recently, including the 120 Minute I.P.A. , which was my introduction to their beers. Several of their products have won multiple awards, and deservedly so.

I've had Dogfish Head several times, I agree it is very good! The Aprihop is my favorite seasonal beer.

Legend Brewery
Legend Brewery is also a local favorite of mine. The Golden IPA is very good. If you are ever in the Richmond, VA area try it!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Hm I'm a big fan of regular Long Trail and Long Trail's summer ale Blackberry Wheat; their Winter brew is pretty good too.

Lots of people like Magic Hat 9, I think its ok.

Shipyard Export is good.

I'm also a fan of Saranac stuff in general, though I think their Black and Tan stands out.

Otter Creek Copper Ale is also very good..
Old Apr 30, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Agreed!! Dogfishead makes some of the best IPAs I've ever tried.

-W
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I was visitin my folks in PHX a couple weeks ago and tried the Four Peaks hefe-weizen. It was by far the best american made hefe I've ever had (I used to give that honor to Widmere). My favorite hefe overall is Franziskaner and Four Peaks is the closest I've come to a german hefe in terms of smoothness, banana/clove flavor, etc....
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
BLATZ!
Old May 2, 2006, 12:22 pm

Dogfish Head's Head Dogfish Thanks You

Earlier today I forwarded a link to this thread to Sam Calagione, the founder and CEO of the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.

I thought you'd like to know that his one-word reply to me was 'AWESOME'

Last edited by greggwiggins; May 2, 2006 at 12:25 pm Reason: Add Title
Old May 2, 2006, 12:24 pm

Oh. And Dogfish Head was born and is still made in Delaware, not Maryland.

Old May 2, 2006, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Duhey2
I was visitin my folks in PHX a couple weeks ago and tried the Four Peaks hefe-weizen. ...
Have never tried their Hefeweizen (didn't even know they made it ... 4 Peaks is hard to find), but they make a superb Kiltlifter. The beer that wins the double entendre wars, but has the flavour to live through it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.