Consolidated "Indian Food and Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Indian Food and Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favourite Indian dishes are Chicken Tandoori and Naan Bread. I also crave for those Singaporean Indian style Nasi Biryani.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Having been raised in the UK I'm a little spoiled. A lot of people would (quite rightly IMO) argue that we have the best Indian food in the world since we took the chefs straight from all corners of India, gave them the same equipment and spices but improved the quality of the meat. To be fair I've never had an Indian meal in the US which even came close and I doubt I will in the near future.

There's a restaurant in New York called Dawat which has an amazing lamb starter, main courses were so-so. However in the UK there are several places (the chain called Akbars being one of them) who have some of the best Indian food I've ever had

I guess Indian food is one of the very few things I prefer about the UK to the US
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sajgidda
I guess Indian food is one of the very few things I prefer about the UK to the US
I agree. While I have found some nice places in San Jose, CA, in Chicago I can't find anything that compares to what you get in the UK. I don't really understand it, We have a fairly large Indian population in Chicagoland yet the Indian restaurants are so inferior compared to what I get in the UK.

It's funny, whenever I visit the UK, the three things I must do is have a proper Sunday roast in a pub, go do Nandos, and go out for an Indian.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is my favorite location in Scottsdale, AZ. The lamb vindaloo is amazing as is the service.

http://www.jewelofthecrown.com/
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Curious_George
It's funny, whenever I visit the UK, the three things I must do is have a proper Sunday roast in a pub, go do Nandos, and go out for an Indian.

My first Nando's after I've been away is almost like a religious experience. Lots of extra hot sauce (the black XX stuff isn't spicy just nasty), spicy rice and corn on the cob. Glorious. When I lived in Brighton for a year I was hitting it up 3 times a week at least, now the spot outside Euston or at Canary Wharf are my Nando's ports of call

I think in the US a lot of the food is changed to fit American tastes. I respect the desire to eat more authentic food here in the UK and a lot of people know what dishes are best to get. I think Indian food, much like Italian food, gets torn up while trying to accomodate American tastes. To say I've never had a good experience aside from the lamb at Dawat is quite bad, but as a foodie I stick by it

Pub roasts are something I can do without. Never rate the quality of the meat or the veg and without sounding like an elitist most pubs aren't my scene. There are a lot of upmarket ones in my area but not many that do a roast. I normally go to Waitrose and stock up for a homemade Sunday roast. Last weekend was a small chicken joint and a glorious boneless leg of lamb, complete with my spicy chimichurri. Hmm, getting hungry, may have to do it again this weekend!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nerd
So much food is yummy. Indian included. Try them more!
I agree. I loves to eat at Indians foods and I will do that again for next time.

Originally Posted by CMK10
This is my favorite location in Scottsdale, AZ. The lamb vindaloo is amazing as is the service.

http://www.jewelofthecrown.com/
Drag! I didn't even know they have one in Scottsdale. We do have some on Bell Rd & 16th St. It is easier way that I can have eat at Indians foods again. Also, there is so much more where Indian restaurant on 16th St & Highland Ave, too. This is where my uncle's office on 16th St & Highland Ave.

Last edited by N830MH; Dec 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We went to eat at Indian foods tonight on 27th Ave & Bell Rd. IT was so delicious where we ate at Indian foods with my uncle and it was so delicious! I ordered with chicken & mushroom and the taste was so good! Also, I ate with tomato soup but, it was little bit spicy. It wasn't good enough at all. I drink some water and I eat tomato soup and I am never seen kinds of the Indian foods before.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:48 pm

Woodlands

My wife and I ate twice at Woodlands in the Marylebone section of London this past fall. The restaurant serves vegetarian cuisine. It is great. Which is why we went twice. It is owned by a company that has restaurants in other parts of the world. I have eaten at their Coral Gables, Florida location. It is called Mint Leaf. The second time there was a bad experience. I doubt we will ever return.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by tondoleo
My wife and I ate twice at Woodlands in the Marylebone section of London this past fall. The restaurant serves vegetarian cuisine. It is great. Which is why we went twice. It is owned by a company that has restaurants in other parts of the world. I have eaten at their Coral Gables, Florida location. It is called Mint Leaf. The second time there was a bad experience. I doubt we will ever return.
I thought Woodlands at Marylebone pretty average, I prefer Masala Zone for the Thali
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
I thought Woodlands at Marylebone pretty average, I prefer Masala Zone for the Thali
Back in 2001 on my wife's first trip to England, we went to the Masala Zone in Soho. From what I remember about it, it was pretty good.

I lived across the street from Khans in Bayswater for a couple of years in the mid 1990's when I was studying in London. It got to the point when I just had to show up, and they would bring my usual out for me.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
We ordered a ton of food from here last night:

http://www.dalesindiancuisine.net/

The full tandori chicken was excellent, as was the lamb vindulu (my favorite) and chicken korma, though the shrimp masala was pretty tasteless. It was so good to have Indian food again (my first time in probably a year), nothing beats sopping up sauces with nan bread.

Last edited by CMK10; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm Reason: Thanks Vasantn!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
the shrimp marsala was pretty tasteless
That's what you get for ordering Italian food from an Indian restaurant ...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
That's what you get for ordering Italian food from an Indian restaurant ...
Whoops that was dumb. Fixed it!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Your Favorite Indian or Pakistani Restaurant? Recommendations?

Michigan
Ann Arbor: Raja Rani
Farmington Hills: House of India
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by skchin

Michigan
Ann Arbor: Raja Rani
Farmington Hills: House of India
Raja Rani is still there! I was in grad school in MedSciII many years ago. It was the first Indian restaurant I went to. Maybe the first foreign cuisine restaurant I ever went to. It was quite good. I loved the "lamb pasanda".

That brings back some memories

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.