FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Indian Food and Restaurants" thread
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:43 pm
sajgidda

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Curious_George
It's funny, whenever I visit the UK, the three things I must do is have a proper Sunday roast in a pub, go do Nandos, and go out for an Indian.

My first Nando's after I've been away is almost like a religious experience. Lots of extra hot sauce (the black XX stuff isn't spicy just nasty), spicy rice and corn on the cob. Glorious. When I lived in Brighton for a year I was hitting it up 3 times a week at least, now the spot outside Euston or at Canary Wharf are my Nando's ports of call

I think in the US a lot of the food is changed to fit American tastes. I respect the desire to eat more authentic food here in the UK and a lot of people know what dishes are best to get. I think Indian food, much like Italian food, gets torn up while trying to accomodate American tastes. To say I've never had a good experience aside from the lamb at Dawat is quite bad, but as a foodie I stick by it

Pub roasts are something I can do without. Never rate the quality of the meat or the veg and without sounding like an elitist most pubs aren't my scene. There are a lot of upmarket ones in my area but not many that do a roast. I normally go to Waitrose and stock up for a homemade Sunday roast. Last weekend was a small chicken joint and a glorious boneless leg of lamb, complete with my spicy chimichurri. Hmm, getting hungry, may have to do it again this weekend!