Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

I simply don't understand how the Clove Club maintains such a high ranking on this list, especially compared to some of the really outstanding Michelin starred restaurants that aren't on the list at all.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Surprised to see EMP come on top. While the food there is indeed very good, I feel like I have had better food elsewhere in NYC at upper-tier restaurants. That said, when you combine the ambiance that the space has, along with the very NYC-thematic food, it is an extremely excellent experience.

Kind of surprised to see Cosme at #40 . The food is solid but not really mind-blowing...the only thing this will do is make it even harder to get a reservation (which has been steadily getting easier).

The only others I have been to on the list are Blue Hills at Stone Barns and Alinea. Both are far too highly rated, IMO. Basically, I think all of the U.S. ones are ranked too highly
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I simply don't understand how the Clove Club maintains such a high ranking on this list, especially compared to some of the really outstanding Michelin starred restaurants that aren't on the list at all.
Yeah, many of my favorites aren't on the list.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Surprised to see EMP come on top. While the food there is indeed very good, I feel like I have had better food elsewhere in NYC at upper-tier restaurants. That said, when you combine the ambiance that the space has, along with the very NYC-thematic food, it is an extremely excellent experience.

Kind of surprised to see Cosme at #40 . The food is solid but not really mind-blowing...the only thing this will do is make it even harder to get a reservation (which has been steadily getting easier).

The only others I have been to on the list are Blue Hills at Stone Barns and Alinea. Both are far too highly rated, IMO. Basically, I think all of the U.S. ones are ranked too highly
I wasn't terribly impressed with EMP, might go back before their summer closure, but I don't put too much weight into these lists.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:10 am
Suspended

The best restaurant I've eaten at is probably the Japanese place called Tetsuya's.It's weird how they use seafood and make it feel not Japanese in Japanese recipes. It's probably the look and feel of the place that affects food. Their sushi looks like something futuristic, like it's food from a sterile space-age Sci-Fi - on the plate, all clean and accurate, like they put special effort into decorating it. It tastes good, too. And the staff are like helful robots, very polite. Overall, a very japanese, very cultured experience.
Second place is probably for Farmhouse, but only because I'm a sucker for their roasted chicken. if Tetsuya's is about service and atmosphere, this one is strictly about food. The meat there is so tender I wanted to marry the cook.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That´s always a problem with this lists, they remain subjective. Also how can it be, that a restaurant in the top 10 list not even holds 3 stars (if Rating available)? Because rating is different.....
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s always a problem with this lists, they remain subjective. Also how can it be, that a restaurant in the top 10 list not even holds 3 stars (if Rating available)? Because rating is different.....
I totally get that, it reminds me of how People magazine always comes out with their "Best looking people in the world" issue, and somehow, all of their 'best looking people' are Hollywood celebrities. I always think to myself, have these editors never walked the streets of Brazil, say or even Turkey, or the Czech Republic?

Pellegrino is given so much authority, it would be nice if they really got it right.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:34 am

It's true.

We've been to over a third of these - including Mikla (#51) last week. Suffice to say, in my two weeks in Turkey, that was probably my LEAST favorite meal.

I'm left scratching my head as to how on Earth it made it on the SP list (I'm not actually curious; it's some combination of Good Looking Chef + Turkey (oooh, so exotic ) + Tasting Menu + Marketing + Good Story (see: Saveur article).

Saying that, the food was good, though to be honest I couldn't tell you much of what we had off the top of my head.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:50 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens after the close down in June for a renovation. I am trying to get a reservation there at the end of September for my anniversary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/d...-hamptons.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SydBarret
The best restaurant I've eaten at is probably the Japanese place called Tetsuya's.It's weird how they use seafood and make it feel not Japanese in Japanese recipes. It's probably the look and feel of the place that affects food. Their sushi looks like something futuristic, like it's food from a sterile space-age Sci-Fi - on the plate, all clean and accurate, like they put special effort into decorating it. It tastes good, too. And the staff are like helful robots, very polite. Overall, a very japanese, very cultured experience.
Second place is probably for Farmhouse, but only because I'm a sucker for their roasted chicken. if Tetsuya's is about service and atmosphere, this one is strictly about food. The meat there is so tender I wanted to marry the cook.
Tetsuya is extremely good. My favorite dining experience when I was in a Sydney to start 2016.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I definitely agree, was very surprised to see EMP on top. For me it's not even the top in NYC, let alone when taking into account the whole world. I've been to all the three (modulo Masa, getting there...) and two-star restaurants in NYC and while EMP is good, I definitely liked Chef's Table Brooklyn Fare more for example. Some other ones that I feel should be way higher than EMP are Azurmendi (San Sebastian), Fat Duck (Bray) or Geranium (Copenhagen).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rafalio
I definitely agree, was very surprised to see EMP on top. For me it's not even the top in NYC, let alone when taking into account the whole world. I've been to all the three (modulo Masa, getting there...) and two-star restaurants in NYC and while EMP is good, I definitely liked Chef's Table Brooklyn Fare more for example. Some other ones that I feel should be way higher than EMP are Azurmendi (San Sebastian), Fat Duck (Bray) or Geranium (Copenhagen).
+1. EMP is definitely not worthy of its title. Chef's Table is miles better. Also surprised that Per Se is on the list at all, it has long lost its luster.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
+1. EMP is definitely not worthy of its title. Chef's Table is miles better. Also surprised that Per Se is on the list at all, it has long lost its luster.
Per Se is not on the list. And rightfully so
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by United747
Per Se is not on the list. And rightfully so
Number 87
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:20 am

Number 87
My apologies, I was only looking through 50. Looking past 50 just makes me laugh!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by United747
My apologies, I was only looking through 50. Looking past 50 just makes me laugh!
Agreed. St John? I don't think so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.