Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I would add Marcus. Had always nice experiences. Something casual and different: Harwood Arms
Surprisingly, I've never been to Marcus, Harwood Arms, or Sketch Lecture Room and Library, for that matter, so can't give my personal thoughts. Maybe I'll make it a point this summer. Still on a mission to find the best Mexican restaurants in town - they're few and far between.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Of course, the sommelier wasn't too thrilled with my flirting, either...
Glad I'm not the only one who has been guilty of that...

Originally Posted by DSI
Oh, thanks! I guess things that are more casual would be even better. FWIW: we'll be at the Rosewood, so walking distance is always nice. Plus our son, who's seven, will be with us.
Your location offers an embarrassment of riches, with respect to dining. You will be in easy walking distance of much in Theatreland and there are restaurants galore. If you like sushi, Sushi Hiroba is close. You've got Hawksmoor Seven Dials for steak, Dishoom for reasonably priced Indian food, Great Queen Street, a noted Gastropub that is very near. You have Lupita and Cantina Laredo in walking distance for Mexican, J Sheekey for fish. The list is endless. Might be a bit of a walk for a seven year old, but not too excessive. And that's only on the theatre side. Going towards Clerkenwell/Smithfield there are a myriad of different options.

Just looked and your hotel is very near Sir John Soane's Museum. Hope you get a chance to walk through there, if you have time. Fascinating museum and not to be missed if you're staying right next to it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 26, 2017 at 7:35 am Reason: merge
Old May 24, 2017, 9:31 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Glad I'm not the only one who has been guilty of that...
Our illustrious dinner date for The Fat Duck will be the one and only FT legend himself.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Angler
The Five Fields
Marianne
Club Gascon
The Typing Room
Petrus
Chez Bruce
Restaurant Story
Texture
The Greenhouse
Pollen Street Social
Helene Darozze at the Connaught
All excellent choices. If one doesn't mind of a bit of a tube ride, Hedone is also well worth a visit, especially if you want a unique experience.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
All excellent choices. If one doesn't mind of a bit of a tube ride, Hedone is also well worth a visit, especially if you want a unique experience.
I guess I need to give Hedone another shot. My problem there was the pacing. It just seemed incredibly slow on the day I visited.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Surprisingly, I've never been to Marcus, Harwood Arms, or Sketch Lecture Room and Library, for that matter, so can't give my personal thoughts. Maybe I'll make it a point this summer.
You should^
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just had dinner again at Saam at The Bazaar by Jose Andres in Los Angeles on Saturday night. Photos and a more details can be found in my review of the SLS Beverly Hills:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...-ok-suite-2028

I'd previously said that Saam was the best restaurant in Los Angeles, easily worthy of 2-3 Michelin stars and among the best restaurants in the USA. After this most recent dinner, I believe Saam is easily worthy of 2-3 Michelin stars and easily among the best 50 restaurants in the world--but seemingly is a secret even in Los Angeles!

If you haven't been and want to enjoy it in the current format, you better go soon: the restaurant will close in later July for 3-4 months renovation to make it more like the minibar in Washington, DC (where we dined in April).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:22 pm
DSI

Just had dinner again at Saam at The Bazaar by Jose Andres in Los Angeles on Saturday night. Photos and a more details can be found in my review of the SLS Beverly Hills:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...-ok-suite-2028

I'd previously said that Saam was the best restaurant in Los Angeles, easily worthy of 2-3 Michelin stars and among the best restaurants in the USA. After this most recent dinner, I believe Saam is easily worthy of 2-3 Michelin stars and easily among the best 50 restaurants in the world--but seemingly is a secret even in Los Angeles!

If you haven't been and want to enjoy it in the current format, you better go soon: the restaurant will close in later July for 3-4 months renovation to make it more like the minibar in Washington, DC (where we dined in April).
A couple of points:

a) I dislike michelin stars in general. Three stars means a jacket to me, which I don't like. Or even dressing up for that matter. I'm looking at restaurants from the list for Paris this summer and they all look like they require fancy dressing.
b). Minibar in DC used to be a "minibar" with 6 ppl back in the day. It took us 4 months to get a reservation there. It was tough! But I need to get back, it's been like 5 years.
c) Cosme, number 40, was SUPERB! I absolutely loved it.

Test Kitchen is closed while we'll be in CPT, unfortunately!

Hoping to go to Clove Club in August? Any thoughts?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
A couple of points:

a) I dislike michelin stars in general. Three stars means a jacket to me, which I don't like. Or even dressing up for that matter. I'm looking at restaurants from the list for Paris this summer and they all look like they require fancy dressing.
You're wrong. There is no requirement to require jackets for 3 stars. I don't eat at jacket reqt restaurants ever. None of the 6 in the SF Bay Area nor Alinea in Chicago nor EMP or Le Bernardin in NYC require jackets. Le Calandre in Italy didn't. I asked Guy Savoy in Paris and was exempted. Some do, some don't. Fewer are requiring that now as it hurts their business. Especially in the USA...and especially in California. Dressing up is another matter...but one that is unrelated to the stars themselves. Paris jacket requirements have more to do with Parisian fashion standards than Michelin.

b). Minibar in DC used to be a "minibar" with 6 ppl back in the day. It took us 4 months to get a reservation there. It was tough! But I need to get back, it's been like 5 years.
c) Cosme, number 40, was SUPERB! I absolutely loved it.

Test Kitchen is closed while we'll be in CPT, unfortunately!

minibar was outstanding for food and wine pairing--except for their tragically stingy wine pours. Most ridiculously small pours I'd ever seen at any fine dining restaurant EVER.

Not been to Clove Club yet but hear good things. So sorry about The Test Kitchen...but try La Colombe and Aubergine in town, as well as Le Quartier Francais, Camphors at Vergelegen, Tokara, Delaire Graf restaurants in wine areas.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
A couple of points:

Disagree in this generality. Often Iīm even in 3 stars the only one with a "proper" suit, at 2 stars often even the only one with a tie. But in the majority you are correct.

Le Bernardin in NYC require
In 2012 they did and regarding their website they still do.
https://www.le-bernardin.com/reserva...nd-information

If itīs inforced itīs another question. I once sat at Jacket require restaurant Jean Georges between short trousers and jeans. So happy I wear a dark suit, of course with tie (no big deal for me, daily clothing)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 28, 2017 at 11:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:21 pm
DSI

Where in Paris is good but doesn't require a jacket these days? I've never been to L'Arpege, Alleno and Septime but they all look especially interesting.

I should have asked when at Guy Savoy when we were there!

I guess I just don't like to sit in a jacket for a long period of time. I start feeling all hot and sweaty and uncomfortable eventually.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
Where in Paris is good but doesn't require a jacket these days? I've never been to L'Arpege, Alleno and Septime but they all look especially interesting.

I should have asked when at Guy Savoy when we were there!

I guess I just don't like to sit in a jacket for a long period of time. I start feeling all hot and sweaty and uncomfortable eventually.
I emailed Guy Savoy in advance to ask. I always ask in advance for the rare jacket requirement restaurant I want to try, and I only go to those that allow me to be comfortable. I get too hot in a jacket. The last time I wore a jacket at any dinner was at Daniel--it wasn't worth it, and I was extremely warm and uncomfortable. Never again.

In Paris, Atelier Joel Robuchon has no jacket requirement. They're out there...but not common. It's Paris--the capital of dressing up.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum
In 2012 they did and regarding their website they still do.
https://www.le-bernardin.com/reserva...nd-information

If itīs inforced itīs another question. I once sat at Jacket require restaurant Jean Georges between short trousers and jeans. So happy I wear a dark suit, of course with tie (no big deal for me, daily clothing)
Jean Georges only requires one at dinner.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by United747
Jean Georges only requires one at dinner.
Correct, text from their website:

Please note: jackets are not required for lunch service, however jeans and tennis shoes are NOT permitted in the dining room.

OK, I donīt really have trousers that arenīt Jeans beside my suits and some (outwashed) summer-chinos From my former experience I doubt they will care.....
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by DSI

I'm somewhat shocked that Clove Club is on the Pellegrino's top 100 list. Not a bad restaurant and nothing wrong with the food, just nothing so outstanding to warrant such a placement. It probably wouldn't merit a spot in my top ten for London, but YMMV. I'm just not a big fan of hipster cool. One of those goateed waiters even smelled. A bit too casual for me
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:18 am
DSI

I'm somewhat shocked that Clove Club is on the Pellegrino's top 100 list. Not a bad restaurant and nothing wrong with the food, just nothing so outstanding to warrant such a placement. It probably wouldn't merit a spot in my top ten for London, but YMMV. I'm just not a big fan of hipster cool. One of those goateed waiters even smelled. A bit too casual for me
Uh oh, I just paid for one of their pre-paid, non-refundable, reservations at 110 a pop. Are they casual enough to allow for shorts?

I'm not a big fan of hipster cool either, as it too comes off as a bit pretentious to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.