Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, AA, Hyatt, HH, DL
Restaurants in San Diego

Mr Theologian and I will head off to San Diego this upcoming week. Here's the deal:

I'm looking for the places within 5 mi of Sea World as well as the best pub and eatery in Coronado. It can be fancy, plain, or anywhere in between.

Some categories:

Very romantic
Cheap and plentiful
"Cult" following
Great wine list

It's a given that we'll eat at In N Out!

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
San Diego

Roberto's Taco Shops. Aztec Taco shop off of Washington Street. Is McP's still open on Coronado? Good pub, don't know about the food. Filippi's Pizza, but only the one on India St.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:50 pm

I lived in SD for 11 years (84 to 95).

Love Old Town Mexican Cafe (where else but in Old Town). Get the carnitas for 2...inexpensive and the tortillas melt in your mouth...very popular and touristy place but the locals are also there.

For the local hang out, go to Bully's East on Texas Street near the stadium. The best bartender in SD (Brad) works there. The sea food and prime rib are great and at an excellent price.

Can't go wrong in the Gas Lamp district. Too many good choices to list.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
(Not sure there's and In and Out within 5 miles of Sea World.

Cult following, cheap, better burger than In and Out, within 5 miles of Sea World: Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Voted one of the best burgers in San Diego year after year. If Jimmy Buffet where hanging in the neighborhood this is where you'd find him.

Mexican, cheap, better than Roberto's IMHO: Nati's on Bacon St. in Ocean Beach. Free parking, nice patio. If you go on Wednesday you can leave your car in their lot for the Farmer's Market. A little more expensive, La Pinata on Juan Street in Old Town. (Pay no attention to the crummy interior, ask for patio seating which is beautiful and heated. Margaritas are good. Wine is cheap, but jug. Carnitas superior. AND they have their own parking, a real plus in Old Town) Avoid Casa de Bandini. No reservations, but they'll give you a pager for your 1-2 hour wait, no parking, the food is barely average and the tables are all the cheap round metal umbrella tables your parents had on their patio. Roberto's any location is MUCH better, and all Roberto's have their own parking . I would like to try El Agave for a more upscale experience. Another Mexican, this time La Jolla, Alphonso's a classic right on Prospect.

Also in La Jolla, overlooking the Cove is Brockton Villa. Get a table on the deck, the inside is unimpressive. Cant beat this on a sunny afternoon. Call for reservations. They serve Bread et Cie breads. Yumm.

I heartily second the original Filippi's on India Street, especially on a Friday night when it's really lively. (They also have free parking.) No reservations, it's very popular but worth the wait. Ample portions, low price. Somehow, the other locations aren't nearly as good.

Hillcrest isn't far from Sea World and has lots of more upscale dining. I like Kemo Sabe . My advice is to avoid the City Delicatessen no matter how cute it llooks outside. Hard to believe they could ruin a cheese omelet or meatloaf, but they did it to me and my friends twice. No mas! Bread et Cie for lunch is good. Very good.

For diner style breakfast with huge portions of good food and and a diverse crowd Brian's American Eatery also in Hillcrest.

These restaurants are not the latest thing in town. They all have a loyal crowd, have been around for a number of years, have consistently good food of their type. And they're cheap. Pretty much the quintessential San Diego experience. For romance, great wine, special dinners, there are many places that are quite easy to find. George's at the Cove, Top of the Cove, Donavan's, Mille Fleurs, the Marine Room. No advice from me here, I spend my big bucks dining in San Francisco.

Last edited by lili; Feb 23, 2005 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
McP's Food McMediocre

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Roberto's Taco Shops. Aztec Taco shop off of Washington Street. Is McP's still open on Coronado? Good pub, don't know about the food. Filippi's Pizza, but only the one on India St.
I wasn't too impressed with the food at McP's the one time I've eaten there. If you're after a "pub and eatery" setting on Coronado, I'd suggest the Coronado Brewing Company's brewpub.

http://www.coronadobrewingcompany.com/
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, AA, Hyatt, HH, DL
Talking Thanks for the Tips!

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll check our CBC and would try Bully's East. Looking forward to the trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.