Decent Restaurant near Tampa Airport..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decent Restaurant near Tampa Airport..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:20 pm

whoa! duplicate post!

Last edited by chobby100; Feb 1, 2005 at 2:39 pm Reason: posted already!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by terenz
For cheap and cheerful, ther's always the Cuban restaurants just east of the airport. On Columbus (which is joined onto by Boy Scout Blvd) just east of Dale Mabry, south side of Columbus.
Slighty off topic but you will be pleased to know that the Argentinian restaurant in Ybor you tried to dine at and found closed on your recent visit has reopened. Rumor has it that the weekend of your visit the owners (a married couple) had a maritial separation.. hope it didnt affect the food

mike
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoshMyPickle
Ceviche in South Tampa is savory and fun... great tapas and yummy sangria. *sigh*
Much as I have dined at Cerviche a fair number of times, I find the food to be miuch better at Sangrias, the menu same Spanish style and tapas and location is also on Howard Ave, a few blocks north of Berns and ( which in turn a few blocks north of Cerviche)
Sangria's has the added bonus in that it is a I-dine participant every day except Friday nights, 10 miles/$ (until July anyways)

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Feb 1, 2005 at 5:45 pm
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Originally Posted by leviferret
My wife and I will be arriving late on a Friday night...

Anything open after 11pm that is decent. Will be heading toward Orlando.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Two keys, IMHO, to your inquiry here are "after 11pm that is decent" and "heading toward Orlando."

I also love Bern's Steak House, but feel that you won't do it justice by arriving such a short time before closing. You may want to stop at the IHOP at 802 S Dale Mabry Highway, less than a couple miles from the airport and close to Interstate 4, your probable route to Orlando. The IHOP is open 24/7 and is pretty busy, clean and safe... A lot of Tampa cops eat at that location during the night (one of my business partners has a son who is a Tampa P.D. detective and we've met him there for a late evening meal). Also, IHOP charges on your affinity CC generate FF Miles, if you've signed up for the dining programs.

Last edited by prspad; Feb 1, 2005 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
I absloutely disagree about going to Bern's late. In fact, many times they have 11:00 pm reservations and their staff is not one to "rush you out" as they feel the need to go home. To the contrary, they will do everything to accomodate you and could provide personal extra attention. IHOP and Bern's could not be farther from each other on the sliding scale!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Despite the attractions of Berns ( which I personally find it "boring" and vastly overrated) The OP did say he was coming in at 1100PM NOT 1000 OR 1030PM for that matter. I assume he is not that familiar with Tampa, so while it might take me 10/15 mins from the airport I think its pressing even to try make to Berns by 1130PM, since its not a direct shot.
First he needs to know to turn south on Armenia since Howard is one way north ( whether he is approaching from the Intertstate or Kennedy, his likely routes) north/above Platt. Then go all the way south to Swann turn left on Swann and then right on Howard. If he gets lost precious minutes will be wasted.

I agree, to enjoy Berns you need at least 2 hours seated.
mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Feb 1, 2005 at 6:21 pm
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
to enjoy Berns you need at least 2 hours seated.
Very true. One of the things you give up by the late night rush, is being able to spend time in a private dessert cubicle. I'm a fan of Berns (been there at least 15 times), but without the dessert experience it is just an above average steak house. Dessert takes it to a different level.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
I am very interested in "experiencing" Bern's. So again, I am asking for advice. Below is the pertinent information that will allow for sound advice.

I will arrive in Tampa at 9:50PM, flying SWA.
I am renting a vehicle from Hertz.
I will have my Garmin with me for mapping a route.
I will be staying in Orlando for the night, but it does not matter when I get there.
Travel is Friday, February 11th.

Thanking all of you in advance for your help.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by leviferret
I am very interested in "experiencing" Bern's. So again, I am asking for advice. Below is the pertinent information that will allow for sound advice.

I will arrive in Tampa at 9:50PM, flying SWA.
I am renting a vehicle from Hertz.
I will have my Garmin with me for mapping a route.
I will be staying in Orlando for the night, but it does not matter when I get there.
Travel is Friday, February 11th.
What advice are you looking for? If your question is can you make it, the answer probably is yes, so long as your flight is reasonably on time. Once you arrive at TPA, you'll have to take a train to the main terminal building. It should take you no more than 5-10 minutes to get the train and get to the main building once you are off the plane. Once in the main terminal, take the escalator down to the baggage claim. If you have checked bags, you must make sure you take the correct escalator down, depending on whether SWA uses the Red side or the Blue side; if you don't have checked bags, you can go to either side. (Not checking bags could make a huge difference in your ability to get to Bern's before they close.) If you do have checked bags, have your wife wait for them while you go across the street and complete your paperwork with Hertz (you have to go to the counter even if you are #1 Gold). At TPA, the rental car counters are all across the street from the baggage claim area; just walk straight out and you'll see them across the way. One huge time advantage at TPA is that you don't need to take a shuttle bus to retrieve your car; you just walk to it in the garage adjacent to the rental car counters. So after you've completed the paperwork, go back and retrieve your wife if you left her at the baggage claim, and then walk to your car and head on your way. The drive to Bern's should take no more than 15 minutes.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:31 pm
Suspended

One important piece of advice is make sure to call and make reservations
Bern is not the place to drive up and expect to get right in, added to that is the night is question is a Friday.

mike
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Of which, the best would be La Terisita!

http://cuban-food-usa.com/tampa_teresita.html
Hey! I remember having a great lunch at La Terista. A great spot!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
Hey! I remember having a great lunch at La Terista. A great spot!
Thinking ahead to the next day, breakfast of Cuban toast and cafe con leche is a great way to start off, and LaTeresita is as good a place as any to experience it.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
Thanks for the great information.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Knowing you are now going on a Friday night, the 11:00 pm reservation can also result you in visiting the dessert room where I have seen many patrons until 1-2 am. You will be fine and have a great experience.

Please remember to write and let us know how it was.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bas5838
Knowing you are now going on a Friday night, the 11:00 pm reservation can also result you in visiting the dessert room where I have seen many patrons until 1-2 am. You will be fine and have a great experience.

Please remember to write and let us know how it was.
This is actually a great recommendation. The food, service, and atmosphere at Bern's are incredible. However, if you are not in the mood for a big dinner that late at night, you can spend a leisurely hour (or two) over dessert and a specialty coffee in the dessert room. Also see if you can take a tour of the wine cellar (the biggest private wine collection in the world, I believe) and the kitchen.

As for finding Bern's, it shouldn't be that difficult. From the airport, take I-275 "north" (actually east) toward Tampa. Exit on Howard-Armenia, going south on Armenia until you reach the end at Swann. Turn left on Swann and right on Howard. After you go through a light, Bern's will be the non-descript white building a few blocks ahead on the left. You can valet park there or self-park in the big parking lot across the street. Getting back is even easier. Just head north on Howard to I-275 and take I-275 south the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.