Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh Restaurant:The Witchery - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh Restaurant:The Witchery - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Question Edinburgh Restaurant:The Witchery - worth it?

Hi -

I will be in Scotland this winter and am spending a few days in Edinburgh. I found "The Witchery" googling my way through Edinburgh sites, and I have booked a table for lunch. The cost isn't important *if* the service and food match.

Any FTers been there? Did you like it or not?

Thanks

Portia
Old Dec 10, 2004, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by portiaeliot
Hi -

I will be in Scotland this winter and am spending a few days in Edinburgh. I found "The Witchery" googling my way through Edinburgh sites, and I have booked a table for lunch. The cost isn't important *if* the service and food match.

Thanks

Portia
IMHO, yes - it's one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh. Great experience, and fantastic food. ^

The other restaurants owned by James Thompson are the Tower, and Rhubarb (at Prestonfield House Hotel). I haven't eaten at the Tower for a while, tho a friend did give it a less than favourable review last year. I had a very pleasant lunch in the Rhubarb last month.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:10 pm

The Witchery is probably my favourite restaurant in Edinburgh (although I've been to 'The Ivy of the North' more often...). Both food and service are as good as you're going to get in Edinburgh. Personally I prefer to be in the main room which I think they call "the conservatory" or "the garden room" or something like that. It's entirely candlelit and beautiful. They have smaller rooms (which can be hired privately I believe) which are still very nice wood-panelled affairs, but I think the "theatre" of the main room is unbeatable.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I would reiterate the previously posters' applause. My wife and I ate there a few months ago (Frommer's recommendation - which we tend to give good weight to)...and REALLY enjoyed both the ambience as well as, especially, the superb food.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 2:02 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
The downstairs it is called the Secret Garden and is a great room, full of ambience, as the other posters have mentioned. Food is really good - my favourite there is the rib eye - truly wonderfully cooked. but seriously... the whole deal is worth it. enjoy!

ps the Wine List is one of the best you'll ever see (but that's another story).
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Wink Thanks for the validation!

Thanks very much for all the responses! My sweety will have fun with the wine list (and I'll let him, since he'll be paying!)

I have never done a trip report, but lunch at the Witchery might be a post.

Portia
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by portiaeliot
Hi -

Thanks

Portia

Friends and I were at the Witchery for dinner 4 years ago. The food was fine, not wonderful, but very good. It was a little pricey for the area.

Jim71

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.