Search

Dine About Town -- San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:46 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Dine About Town -- San Francisco

Once again we will be in SFO in January. And it's Dine About Towntime. Over the years we've enjoyed many overpriced meals in the City with or without the Dine About deal. Last year we tried Bacar, I was unimpressed. (Trip report available iby PM if you are interested.)

Am considering One Market, Lulu, Acme Chophouse, Daily Grill. One Market because I had absolutely the best meal of my life there, Lulu because I've never been, Acme Chophouse because FTers have recommended it, Daily Grill because it's close to our hotel and O2K recommends it as a pretty good chain. Three of our party of five don't care for red meat, and only one eats seafood. Two actually prefer chains like California Pizza Kitchen, one is a slowfood enthusiast.

Mr. lili has suggested importing his take on Chasen's Chili, which we could consume at my son's apt. but that's not a carryon I'm willing to deal with.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by lili-dui
Once again we will be in SFO in January. And it's Dine About Towntime. Over the years we've enjoyed many overpriced meals in the City with or without the Dine About deal. Last year we tried Bacar, I was unimpressed. (Trip report available iby PM if you are interested.)

Am considering One Market, Lulu, Acme Chophouse, Daily Grill. One Market because I had absolutely the best meal of my life there, Lulu because I've never been, Acme Chophouse because FTers have recommended it, Daily Grill because it's close to our hotel and O2K recommends it as a pretty good chain. Three of our party of five don't care for red meat, and only one eats seafood. Two actually prefer chains like California Pizza Kitchen, one is a slowfood enthusiast.

Mr. lili has suggested importing his take on Chasen's Chili, which we could consume at my son's apt. but that's not a carryon I'm willing to deal with.

Any suggestions?
lili-dui Daily Grill is really nothing special, but it is pretty good fare with a menu which will please vegetarians and carnivores. Bob Spivak, who founded "The Grill" in Beverly Hills is a top-notch restauranteur and does strive for consistency and quality. The food may not be exciting but it is tasty and fresh. I love the chicken chili and the chicken burger. Caesar salad is consistently great and the Cobb salad is legendary. The rice pudding is sublime. This is good old American comfort food and if it is close to your hotel; so much the better. Re: Chasen's Chili. I wasn't terribly impressed with the stuff when I ate it at Chasen's and now that it is available frozen, continue to be unimpressed. Actually, I think it is a big rip-off and skating by on a very old reputation, for having flown the stuff to Liz Taylor while she was on location. I do think that The Daily Grill is preferable to California Pizza Kitchen. Re: Lulu's, when my son attended law school in SF, he liked it, but IIRC, he used to eat breakfast or lunch there.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:55 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
lili-dui Daily Grill is really nothing special, but it is pretty good fare with a menu which will please vegetarians and carnivores..
That's pretty much what we need this trip. And walking from the hotel works.

So it's Daily Grill or One Market at this point. I'm leaning towards One Market, but my warring SF sons may have other ideas even though they asked for my preference.

Lulu's will have their items at the trade show we are attending anyway, but we must concentrate on chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Life is tough.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Couldn't you squeeze in BOTH One Market AND the Daily Grill?

BTW, O2K describes the Daily Grill accurately. I should add that it has a warm, clubby atmosphere, is good for conversation (i.e., not horribly loud), and it was the site of a FlyerTalker dinner that drew 15 people, in March of 2003. Hmmm.... maybe we should have another one there sometime in 2005. ^

Oh, and I've totally forgotten the name and URL of your chocolate company.... could you e-mail me that (or post it)? Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:34 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
...BTW, O2K describes the Daily Grill accurately. I should add that it has a warm, clubby atmosphere, is good for conversation (i.e., not horribly loud), and it was the site of a FlyerTalker dinner that drew 15 people, in March of 2003. Hmmm.... maybe we should have another one there sometime in 2005. ^
What about Jan 23 or 24?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Swan Oyster Depot Swan Oyster Depot Swan Oyster Depot.

Dan
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Swan Oyster Depot Swan Oyster Depot Swan Oyster Depot.

Dan
I understand you like the place, Dan, but Swan Oyster Depot is NOT on the "Dine About Town" program! In fact, they're not even on the OpenTable reservation system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.