Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve Dining Ideas for Chicago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT

We have traveled to Chicago a few times. We have eaten at a few special places, Cape Cod Room, Chicago Chop House & Tucci Milan. We will be there for New Year's Eve and looking for some ideas. We are aware of the high tariffs being New Year's. We are staying at the Drake.

Thanks again for everyone input and thoughts.

Happy Holidays and safe travels to ALL

SCA
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Everest is a terrific restaurant. Fantastic view, too. They have a really wonderful wine list, excellent food, and the service is impeccable.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:27 am

SA-

Trying to get reservations at this stage of the game will be very dicey. The other consideration is many of these restaurants have fixed menus for NYE. What is you budget and maybe what kind of cusine you seek?

Everest is not bad a choice nor is it a great one. There is no way in heck you will get in there at this stage. View is great. I have found my experiences there inconsistant. Food and service ranging from superb to not brilliant, YMMV. IMO, personally find the decor very... well... cheesy..... It feels like a a bad Louis XIV vaneer.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
Plummer

We expect our Out of town nightly dinner budget to be around $100-120 with wine. I would like to stay away from hotel dinning, if possible. I told Mrs. SA, we should take a special bottle of wine from the cellar and do room service from the Drake, if we get a great room upgrade (HH gold).

Thanks for any help.

SCA
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:15 am

Starbucks for a pre meal drink and after that head over to Portillos. I would say Spiaggia. Another Italian place I enjoyed was A Tavola.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SAnger3494
I told Mrs. SA, we should take a special bottle of wine from the cellar and do room service from the Drake, if we get a great room upgrade (HH gold). SCA
Now there's a fun idea! Especially if you get a nice suite upgrade.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:03 pm

SA-

You have some great choices in that price range. I'll give you a few suggestions below. Please review my recommendations with the reviews on http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/ to make sure the place sounds to be your fancy. My recommendions are lower key with a more local flair away from the touristy spots.

With in Walking distance of the Drake:
The Saloon Steakhouse.. 200 E. Chestnut ST (Steak & more Steak)

$5~8 cab ride
Thyme.. 464 N Halsted ST (Modern Cusine)
Bistrot Margot.. 1437 N Wells (My fav authentic French bistro)
Adobo Grill.. 1610 N Wells (Upscale Mexican) You probably don't want to go there for NYE but you may want to have a dinner there during your stay.

$9~15 cab ride
Spring.. 2039 W. North Ave (Modern Cusine) also easilly accessible by CTA blue line train.

Avoid the Signiture Room at the 95th (John Hancock Tower) for dinner, but the bar is a nice place to have a cocktail if the weather is clear. If there is somewhere else you find and want some advise, drop me a PM. Chances are I have eaten there or at minimum heard about it.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Dec 8, 2004 at 12:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.