Good Pub Food in London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Pub Food in London?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Good Pub Food in London?

I'd appreciate input from aficionados of London Pubs from the standpoint of the food they serve. I'm partial to Wetherspoons, at Victoria Station... You can have a pint while waiting for your train and they have a no-smoking section. The food menu is low-grade coffee shop, however. Do any FTers have a London pub they especially like that serves decent eats?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:44 am

mmmm

Best site for pub info in London has to be www.fancyapint.com -- check out some of the top pubs.
A favorite of mine is The Counting House, at 50 Cornhill EC3V 3PD, in the City near the Bank tube. It's a Fullers Ale and Pie house. Food is excellent.

Originally Posted by prspad
I'd appreciate input from aficionados of London Pubs from the standpoint of the food they serve. I'm partial to Wetherspoons, at Victoria Station... You can have a pint while waiting for your train and they have a no-smoking section. The food menu is low-grade coffee shop, however. Do any FTers have a London pub they especially like that serves decent eats?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by prspad
There are some great gastro pubs around London these days. My suggestions are mostly over in West London (makes the crawl home easier ). But, in no particular order, I'd suggest (having eaten at least twice at all of these):

1 - The Ifield, Ifield Road, Chelsea - fantastic eggs benedict for starters last time I was there, and a chilled staff (our group of 15 occupied the table for over 8 hours!)

2 - The Ship, 41 Jews Row, Wandsworth - great for summer eating, good grub, and a nice Thames side location (IIRC, great roast beef on Sundays!)

3 - The Goat in Boots, Fulham Road, Chelsea - bit of a busy street, but good young crowd, and right in the middle of the Beach for a Saturday night out.

4 - The Chelsea Ram, 32 Burnaby Street, err Chelsea! - again, good chilled boozer, nice mix of locals and not so locals. Good beer IIRC.

and finally one in the centre:

5 - The Garrison, Bermondsey Street - Great food, good service. Steaks are just yummy. Relaxed crowd, and definitely good value for money.

Of course these are just some of my favourites - I'd suggest looking at London Eating for other ideas. Places like the Bush Bar and Grill, Electric Brasserie and others are also good - though pricier than most of the above.

Enjoy testing out some new places!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:10 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Engineer in Primrose Hill was quite pleasant both for food and atmosphere and the nearby Regent Park makes it a tempting weekend lunch destination. Two pubs which I've been recommended on FT without having own experience are The Eagle and the Anchor & Hope. If you want a cosmopolitan and easy-going atmosphere, try the cluster of pubs around the University of London main campus in Bloomsbury near Euston Station, but don't expect more than well-made standard pub grub there: Bangers & mash, pies, fish & chips etc.

One (gastro)pub I learned to love when living in London was the Paradise by Way of Kensal Green near the Virgin Records HQ at Kensal Green/Queens Park. Progressive music for the discriminating Virgin staffers, Asian-inspired tasty food and a name that cannot be surpassed.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:03 pm

great lunch pub in soho?

wanting someplace warm (roaring fire?) with great steak and kidney pudding for a lunchtime meeting with curmudgeounly old editor...? good ideas?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by electra
wanting someplace warm (roaring fire?) with great steak and kidney pudding for a lunchtime meeting with curmudgeounly old editor...? good ideas?
I haven't been there in many years, but The Grenadier in Mayfair seemed to me then the quinessential London pub with typical English fare. Maybe a real Londoner will know if that's still true.

P.S. I live with a curmudgenounly middle-aged editor. :-)
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Good food.......London........oxymoron?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by bigjim
Good food.......London........oxymoron?
Obviously, you haven't been here in awhile. I used to think the same till moving to the UK. London is full of terrific restaurants and much better cooking than in years past. Unfortunately, the prices are very high.. along with everything else over here. I hope Mr. Bush can do something about this exchange rate. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.