Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Cirque 2000 Closing!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Le Cirque 2000 Closing!!

I read in the latest edition of Time Out's 'Eating Out' New York 2005 that Le Cirque 2000 will be closing at the end of this year. Has anyone else heard this too?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/16/di...rtner=USERLAND

Member ID: flyertalk
password: flyertalk
Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Do anyone know what 'will close at the end of the year' means? Does it literally mean the place will still be open until 31 December 2004?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:43 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Flyer26
I read in the latest edition of Time Out's 'Eating Out' New York 2005 that Le Cirque 2000 will be closing at the end of this year. Has anyone else heard this too?
The chef is moving to the Ritz-Carlton Central Park's Atelier as Atelier's Gabriel Kruthier left to open a new restuarant in a museum (the met?).
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
The chef is moving to the Ritz-Carlton Central Park's Atelier as Atelier's Gabriel Kruthier left to open a new restuarant in a museum (the met?).
http://www.moma.org/about_moma/manhattan/#a19
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I am not saddened by this closing. Some close friends took me for my birthday dinner a few years ago and I was terribly underwhelmed, except for the dessert, and that I was able to meet Jacques Torres, the then Executive Pastry Chef.

I was devastated by the closing of La Caravelle, Lutece and La Cote Basque, however!!

The main meal was poor and the service horrible. Unless you were ordering multiple $500-plus bottles of wine service was non-existent.

Perhaps in its new incarnation things will be better?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
I am not saddened by this closing. Some close friends took me for my birthday dinner a few years ago and I was terribly underwhelmed, except for the dessert, and that I was able to meet Jacques Torres, the then Executive Pastry Chef.

I was devastated by the closing of La Caravelle, Lutece and La Cote Basque, however!!

The main meal was poor and the service horrible. Unless you were ordering multiple $500-plus bottles of wine service was non-existent.

Perhaps in its new incarnation things will be better?
Next time you are in NY, try Jean-Georges. I have dined there 4 times, not once have I not been overwhelmed.

This is what Amanda Hesser, food editor for the NYT, said in her review of a restaurant in the Time Warner Center:

"There is also the view. You sit atop an urban canyon, as the sheer cliffs of Midtown drop off into the park. From this height, the traffic below seems to glide and swirl without an ounce of contention. The pressures of city life ease a little. And for that alone, I might order a glass of sake, stay for the gougres, then feign illness and steal across Columbus Circle to Jean Georges for a meal that never disappoints."

http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...=1070531398408

username: flyertalk
password: flyertalk

La Cte Basque has been reincarnated into something less pricey:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/di...070&oref=login
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:44 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
francophile,

I agree wholeheartedly about Jean-Georges. I have had lunch there and it was sublime; I truly enjoy Vongerichten's cuisine, having been to Vong in London; Market in Paris; and Vong, JoJo and Mercer Kitchen in NYC. The duck with asian spice jus was outstanding and my appetizer of scallops with cauliflower with raison emulsion certainly were highlights.

Thank you for the article on LCB Cafe Rachou -- it is good to see that "plus la change, plus c'est la meme chose" is alive and well there!! I cannot wait to return there my next trip to NYC.

Le Bernardin is also a favourite of mine; Le Perigord and La Grenouille are next on the list.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by luxury
The duck with asian spice jus was outstanding
As much as I love classic French cuisine, Jean Georges's cuisine is sheer food ecstasy for me. I usually despise fusion food. But his fusion of Alastian and Asian works remarkably, like the duck dish you mentioned.

I look forward to eating at Le Bernardin and Daniel someday.

Bon Apptit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.