Wiki Posts
Search

Dining solo in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by stut
Where's that, ScottC? I'm always keen to try new Indonesian places (especially when Tempo Doeloe are full...)
Sampurna is next to the flower market ...right next to a mushroom store IIRC.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:57 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
I have been to Amsterdam many times alone, and dining solo has never been a problem. Here is an old post of mine from the other bulletin board from 2001!

Amsterdam city tips

Hope you find it useful.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

For anyone who's interested, based on a recommendation from Time Out, I started with lunch at Halver, 7 Taksteeg just off Kalverstraat in the Dam area. Had a fantastic Caprese sandwich (basil, tomatoes and buffalo mozarella) on fresh brown country bread. Friendly service and good prices.

After some more sightseeing, stopped in for a couple of glasses of beer at Toussaint, Bosboomtoussainstraat 26, about a 10 minute walk southwest of Leidseplein.

By the time I was ready for dinner, I found myself in the middle of the Red Light District and was ready to flee for less seedy surroundings, and thought that Jordaan would be perfect. I headed up Damrak to Radhuisstraat and over to Prinsengracht, where I stumbled across the Jordaan Festival with a band performing on a free stage. I wandered for a while and ended up at Burger's Patio, 2e Tuindwaarsstraat 12. Menu was a bit French and a bit Italian. It was fairly empty at first (just before 7:00 p.m., but filled up quickly. Seemed like a good mix of locals and tourists, with a very lively atmosphere. My only mistake was sitting right under the specials board, so I felt like I was being stared at everytime someone wanted to check out the specials! The service was very friendly and the food was fine. I had a grilled pumpkin and goat's cheese salad, tagliatelle with hare sauce, and the cheese plate. With a couple of glasses of wine, and port with the cheese, came to EUR42.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:32 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

Sounds like you had a nice stroll. What luck to find a local festival !
Glad to know http://www.timeout.com/amsterdam/ was a help. They do an updated format for every month, so October should be popping up soon: events, specials, etc. They also do most major world cities.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Cafe de Jaren

http://www.diningcity.com/ams/dejaren/en/index.html

Great bar, relaxed atmoshphere, interesting menu.

It's in the center of the city. Their website has directions.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:21 am

Programs: I love Gold,AA-Gold, Movie Watcher-Gold, Reward zone-Gold
www.supperclub.com I loved this place when we were there! It was a fun experience. ^
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by Flybride
www.supperclub.com I loved this place when we were there! It was a fun experience. ^
Not really a good place to eat on your own though. Better with a group.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: I love Gold,AA-Gold, Movie Watcher-Gold, Reward zone-Gold
Originally Posted by EEB
Not really a good place to eat on your own though. Better with a group.
Ah yes I see your point. But it is a very friendly place. It is easy to meet people in that club quickly. The food is fabulous there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.