Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by uk1

Our grill is below. It is used throughout the year .... and confuses people when they see bbq smoke and snow at the same time. It is so much better than cooking over charcoal that we now use it during the summer ....

Any further questions ... ask.

^^^ .......

The drool is for the grill and the meat as well.

US/Canada use 12 inch counter units as standardized measurement. We have 48in which I installed 4 standard burners(2X12in) and my 35000BTU wok burner which took up (24in). Would have loved the 12in grill unit but life is always making choices.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:32 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
^^^ .......

The drool is for the grill and the meat as well.

US/Canada use 12 inch counter units as standardized measurement. We have 48in which I installed 4 standard burners(2X12in) and my 35000BTU wok burner which took up (24in). Would have loved the 12in grill unit but life is always making choices.
Thanks ... it's great to post a pcture that's enjoyed by other saddos like me. Makes it worthwhile .......

To the left hand side is a pretty decent wok burner and underneath we have true convection and fan ( two completely different functions) and a seperate spit roaster which I use for chickens or rolled lamb shoulder with herbs.

The indoors bbq was something I had some doubts about when I remodelled my kitchen from scratch but it is the item in my kitchen I would now least do without. To bbq all year ..... I can't explain! Summer in Winter. It lifts the spirits. I even cook my flatbreads on it.

The meats. My own vesion of lamb donners. Thinly sliced lamb marinaded and skewered. Burgers are home course ground. The steak is 30 day ribeye.

Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:38 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I use to eat well done, but have come to enjoy medium or medium well, depends on the type of steak I am eating.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
uk1 -- that is a righteous grill set-up you've got there!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:04 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
uk1 -- that is a righteous grill set-up you've got there!
Thanks.

I always wanted to design my own kitchen from scratch with every defect I'd ever had in every other kitchen I'd seen designed out ..... and what bloke wouldn't have a bbq.

Snow or rain .... I'll be there making my flatbreads, grilling some proteins ..and drinking a very cold beer.

It is a bloke thing.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was the cost for me when I moved into my condo/apartment/flat. The old kitchen was demolished and new one designed and rebuilt from floor up. All services were relocated. Space is more limited now.

Fortunately the breakfast nook/eat in area is 8' X9' off to the side of the kitchen. The walkout to the balcony is right there which made the gas grill semi accessible year round.

Yup, it is a bloke thing, DW cannot understand the winter burger cooked outside!!!

uk1, BTW, next time you and I are in HK I will take you clever shopping where the chef buys their personal hand forged sets.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Good to hear that the kitchen was a priority!

My kitchen also - as it turned out - made good business sense. When I started our business all my best ideas came when I was cooking. Clients would start to come to lunch and sit on a stall in my kitchen whilst we hatched cunning plans. In the end they would invite themselves and all my clients become eating and drinking friends. I've had a client fly from Miami for a meal and fly straight back afterwards. Happy days. In a way, in the end I ran a business from my kitchen and dining room. Food and wine smoothes away every obstacle and problem and you make friends of people.

Make it Singapore and you're on .....
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Good to hear that the kitchen was a priority!

My kitchen also - as it turned out - made good business sense. When I started our business all my best ideas came when I was cooking. Clients would start to come to lunch and sit on a stall in my kitchen whilst we hatched cunning plans. In the end they would invite themselves and all my clients become eating and drinking friends. I've had a client fly from Miami for a meal and fly straight back afterwards. Happy days. In a way, in the end I ran a business from my kitchen and dining room. Food and wine smoothes away every obstacle and problem and you make friends of people.

Make it Singapore and you're on .....
My client base was built through mine and their love for food and fermented beverages as well. Easier to cement a friendship ove common interest.

I have no problem with SINning but I do not know any specialty knife forgers there.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Mmm.. Looks awesome guys.

Kind of makes me smack my lips even though I'm full from breakfast.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: LH 1*SEN
Originally Posted by uk1
Yes ... but sadly unless you are refitting your kitchen it isn't going to be a viable option. If you look for electric (or gas) inset lava brick grills this is essentially what will do it for you. The key thing are the lava brickettes as it is the fat hitting lava that causes the flavour alongside surface caramelisation.

There are grills that simply have an element and they heat up cross bars to create the burnt lines. These are as said simply upside down grills but some smoke is produced by the fat hitting the element. The issue with the contact grills ie panini or George Foreman grills is that there is a tendency for the meat to produce steam which is trapped within the grill and causes the steak to steam. Lava brick bbqs produces a better more consistent method of cooking a steak than most people will acheive over charcoal in their yard as it is more controllable.

The reason why lava brick grills are difficult to retro-fit is because you need powerful commercial performance extraction as there will be a lot of smoke. Most domestic people have a recycling hood - and very few of the extracting ones are up to the job. Our one actually pulls doors shut.

Our grill is below. It is used throughout the year .... and confuses people when they see bbq smoke and snow at the same time. It is so much better than cooking over charcoal that we now use it during the summer ....

The meats. My own vesion of lamb donners. Thinly sliced lamb marinaded and skewered. Burgers are home course ground. The steak is 30 day ribeye.

WOW!!!!! That is really GREAT! ^^^
I have to think about that seriously.
Does it take a lot of work in maintenance and/or cleaning?
And how high does the kitchen fume hood have to be placed (I guess higher than without the grill, cos the flames can damage it)?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:39 am
uk1
Suspended

To answer!

No maintenance or special cleaning at all really. The griddles lift off and the griddle is cleaned well after each use .. and that's it really. The element is hinged. The lava stones are on a tray that is lined with foil. You can just see the foil in one of the pics. Once every few years I tip the stones into soapy hot water and give them a wash and a bit of a degrease. Dry them and put them back onto fresh foil making sure that the element has lots of stones around it. To be honest the stones could be left. There isn't a hygiene issue because of the high temperatures.

The extractor is a bit of a beast directly above the stove top. It is in a smart stainless flue but is pretty industrial inside. Outside the kitchen we have a steep bank covered in trees and undergrowth and the extractor sort of flattens it ....

People think little about spending cash on cars .... but a kitchen sometimes has corners cut. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the bbq is used at least two or three times a week. I also use it for grilling fish either a flat fish like bream or brill or bass or sole. Fatter fish is often stuffed with fresh herbs and lemon.

The kitchen has evolved. Big industrial strength Gaggia has been replaced with Nespresso. Sous vide is now in the "cold room" where the bread making stuff is. Wine racking is there and so is a separate wine and beer fridge ... as well as the ice machine and the icecream machine. And all the female stuff is there ie washers and dryers ...

I love my kitchen. It makes me a sad person really ....

Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Question for uk1

Just curious, why isn't the grill gas instead of electric?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:48 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by braslvr
Just curious, why isn't the grill gas instead of electric?
Just because it is ...

Obviously BBQs in gardens can only practically use gas, but in itself gas would make no difference to a lava grill. Gas would mean having to regularly clear the jets of grease and the piezo might get a bit cloggy and gas also produces condensation which with heat might make more smoke whereas the electric is drier heat and the element lasts for years. I guess this puts the balance in electrics favour.

Just an opinion.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uk1

Just your address. I'll even bring a bottle of red
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: LH 1*SEN
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just your address. I'll even bring a bottle of red
Yes please, me too ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.