Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolididated "Tipping for Take Out or Delivery?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by kipper
I've encountered quite a few pizza places that don't disclose the delivery fee until close to the end of the order process.
As did this place.

They did have a $15 minimum order requirement for delivery disclosed at the very beginning. I would assume that is because they want to be sure that revenue for the delivery would make it worth it. But then whatever they choose for a delivery fee ought to make it worth it, too. I mean if it is not a tip/fee that goes directly to the driver, then the fee should somehow cover the cost of the delivery not just be an additional revenue for the restaurant. So they shouldn't really need a minimum order requirement, too. But my only experience in the restaurant business has been as a customer. Although, all other things being equal, I'm going to order a heck of a lot more food from the restaurant without a delivery fee compared to a place with one. Just like I no longer go to the Chili's nearest me and instead drive 5 miles further to the one with the decent service.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:10 am
Suspended

I may have misunderstood your post. But to me, it appears that you ordered food, the restaurant prepared and packaged the food for take out, and you stiffed them because of the presence of a tip line on the charge slip. That is obnoxious. If you just saw an option to tip while online and cancelled the order without the restaurant doing anything, be outraged all you want...it doesn't bother me.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I may have misunderstood your post. But to me, it appears that you ordered food, the restaurant prepared and packaged the food for take out, and you stiffed them because of the presence of a tip line on the charge slip. That is obnoxious. If you just saw an option to tip while online and cancelled the order without the restaurant doing anything, be outraged all you want...it doesn't bother me.
I read the post as they were placing an order online, but had not confirmed it, so the restaurant did not prepare anything.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
It's late and we are hungry. There is an "Italian" restaurant down the street that delivers.
Italian in quotation marks — so you ordered from Olive Garden?

We started an online order and got to the total where it listed a $2 delivery fee. Delivery fees have always rubbed me the wrong way since they typically go to the restaurant and not the driver (who generally owns the car that brings the food). Plus we live within walking distance of this place. I could literally see it if we had a window that faced that direction.
Maybe it's because we order from local restaurants but delivery fees are rare for us. I know one place that does it. We'll order from them if it's raining and then we don't mind paying the $1 delivery fee. We also tip the delivery guy in cash. We never put it on the credit card as we want to make sure the delivery guy KEEPS his tip. ^

So we changed the order to take-out. When we got the check-out there was a tip line.
Ok, that's just taking advantage of the customer. How many people are saps enough to pay that? I wouldn't give such a place my business particularly if you aren't sure how authentically Italian the cuisine is.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:56 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Analise
Italian in quotation marks — so you ordered from Olive Garden?

Maybe it's because we order from local restaurants but delivery fees are rare for us. I know one place that does it. We'll order from them if it's raining and then we don't mind paying the $1 delivery fee. We also tip the delivery guy in cash. We never put it on the credit card as we want to make sure the delivery guy KEEPS his tip. ^

Ok, that's just taking advantage of the customer. How many people are saps enough to pay that? I wouldn't give such a place my business particularly if you aren't sure how authentically Italian the cuisine is.
Even our local places charge a delivery fee.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Analise
We'll order from them if it's raining and then we don't mind paying the $1 delivery fee.
I wonder what kind of blizzard it would take to have you not mind $2.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I wonder what kind of blizzard it would take to have you not mind $2.
Sorry buddy, restaurants don't charge $2 delivery fees (or more) here because there is a TON OF COMPETITION. Your loss for not having that!

We tip the delivery guy quite generously when the weather is severe and he doesn't have to share it!! ^^^

Last edited by Analise; Sep 18, 2013 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
If there's a tip line, it's because the computer prints it. I leave it blank and write it in the same number on the total. Easy math implies the tip is ZERO because it's not a tipped position (waiting tables). I certainly wouldn't cancel an order as a result, that's silly. How would they even know to cry into their pillows to go to sleep that night if they don't know you canceled a potential order? Did you tell them?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blackdawn2
If there's a tip line, it's because the computer prints it. I leave it blank and write it in the same number on the total. Easy math implies the tip is ZERO because it's not a tipped position (waiting tables). I certainly wouldn't cancel an order as a result, that's silly. How would they even know to cry into their pillows to go to sleep that night if they don't know you canceled a potential order? Did you tell them?
Concur.. on take outs, some restaurants print out receipts with tip line.. I just leave it blank and no explanation needed.

The only time I tip for takeout or food court, is a thai kiosk in Eau Claire Calgary where they are always generous to me.. Heck, last time I tried to tip, they refused it, printed my bill, and wished me well.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Heck, last time I tried to tip, they refused it, printed my bill, and wished me well.
That's awesome but would make me want to tip them even more! Maybe wait until they're not looking and toss a few bucks in a tip jar(assuming they have one).
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alecbarron
That's awesome but would make me want to tip them even more! Maybe wait until they're not looking and toss a few bucks in a tip jar(assuming they have one).
To boot I was supposed to pay for the pad Thai seperately as they were closed and had none left. The owner gave me her pad Thai that was already boxed and didn't charge me..

I was waiting for the tip section to appear on the cc machine, but the tip section didn't appear and I ended up paying ten bucks for a heaping meal and a free pad Thai side. I was going to tip $5..
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
20% "gratuity" added for pickup order

I was getting takeout from a local restaurant this evening, and I saw a sign at the counter that said, "A 20% gratuity will be added to all open tabs." I know some restaurants and bars have this policy, but these signs had clearly been placed since the start of the pandemic. Since we don't have in restaurant dining, I don't see an option of having an open tab. I made sure to fill in the gratuity line and take a photo of the merchant copy of the receipt. This is one more case where I don't like tip adjust.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
I was getting takeout from a local restaurant this evening, and I saw a sign at the counter that said, "A 20% gratuity will be added to all open tabs." I know some restaurants and bars have this policy, but these signs had clearly been placed since the start of the pandemic. Since we don't have in restaurant dining, I don't see an option of having an open tab. I made sure to fill in the gratuity line and take a photo of the merchant copy of the receipt. This is one more case where I don't like tip adjust.
I feel like the mandatory 20% would be a specific line item and not them writing an amount on the tip line (with any tip above 20% up to the customer if they so desire).

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 14, 2020 at 2:15 pm Reason: Edit before moving to Dining Buzz
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw

I feel like the mandatory 20% would be a specific line item and not them writing an amount on the tip line (with any tip above 20% up to the customer if they so desire).
Yes, you have to check the itemized receipt very carefully to see if the service fee as I call it was included up with the items ordered, buried. Some independent restaurants do it that way, make it look like just another item on the receipt. Then they give you the usual receipt with a blank tip line to sign. For another fun round of dispute, see if they put sales tax on top of the service fee.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Yes, you have to check the itemized receipt very carefully to see if the service fee as I call it was included up with the items ordered, buried. Some independent restaurants do it that way, make it look like just another item on the receipt. Then they give you the usual receipt with a blank tip line to sign. For another fun round of dispute, see if they put sales tax on top of the service fee.
Admittedly I never saw an itemized receipt, only the credit card slip with the tip line. The only way to order online is through one of the food delivery platforms, and the prices appear higher compared to the subtotal on my order from last night for the same items. I just found it odd that they had the signs out and visible at the pickup tables if the dine in and bar were both closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.