Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crabbing
opentable wiki

the basics:
1. create an account at opentable.com. i believe you assign your default metro area when you make your account.
2. use the website to find restaurants in the neighborhood of your choice. you can pick a specific neighborhood if you know it. there is a hidden map feature, accessed through an upside-down raindrop.
3. pick the location, time, and number of people in your party. note that some places impose min/max party size.
4. you can also find 1000-point times for certain locations, which appear on the list of times with a "+."

using points:
  • start here to access the list of restaurants that accept opentable gift cards.
  • gift cards are sent via email.
  • OT gift cards are either tied to a specific restaurant, or you can choose a generic card that can be redeemed later (if anyone has done this, please update the wiki as to whether you still have to choose the restaurant and redeem online)
  • note: the number of restaurants that accept OT gift cards is significantly smaller than the number of restaurants that award OT points.

tips and tricks:
  • if a location is not busy or the receptionist is forgetful, they might not remember to check you in, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • you often can be early or late and still get points, but the flexibility depends on the specific restaurant.
  • sometimes they can be flexible on the party size - this is particularly useful if it's just yourself (for places with a min of 2), or you have a large party.
  • if a place doesn't credit, usually an email to OT will get it credited. you might need a receipt as proof.
  • some places credit your points as soon as you check in with the restaurant, while some can wait until several hours later.
  • some restaurants allow reservations but do not award points. some have point-earning times and non-point-earning times. and some really sneaky places give points made through OT, but not through the OT/reservations link on the restaurant's own website. worse, they may set a "session cookie" that ensures your reservation is flagged "no points," so your best bet is to close and reopen your browser to reset the session cookie before making the reservation (or canceling and rebooking).
  • don't forget that OT has nothing to do with how you pay for a meal. so it "stacks" with chase first friday bonuses, rewards network, restaurant.com certificates, coupons, etc.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Open Table" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used Opentable.com back in May for Gibson's in Chicago and it worked out fine and I got the time I wanted.

When I wanted a reservation last Sunday and went on Opentable but they showed nothing available after 4 PM. Tried it again a day later and then the website informed me it wasn't working and to try later. I ended up calling Gibson's and getting a reservation for 5 PM like I'd wanted. I think I'll stick to calling places if I can.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opentable usually works fine for me. I like the $20 dining cheque you get in their reward program.

Many restaurants don't allow Opentable to reserve all their tables, so if the site shows no availability it's worth a phone call.

I recently read a magazine article (can't remember where) talking about Opentable from the restaurant's perspective: apparently many restaurants don't like it because it's expensive and difficult to cancel the service once it's started.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Yeah I've read a few articles about it. Especially for low margin restaurants the fees that OpenTable charges make it a poor option. GroupOn has a similar wave of destruction, a few small businesses have gone bankrupt trying to join in but I'm not sure if this was due to their own naivety or more to do with GroupOn
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by gleff
There are no benefits to VIP status. I'm a VIP. The website says they flag your reservation so that the restaurant may choose to offer special services (of some indeterminate form). But has anyone ever gotten anything out of being an OpenTable VIP?
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Lavandou in Cleveland Park gives me a free glass of champagne when i dine there due to my OpenTable VIP status.
I haven't received anything either. A glass of champagne would be nice!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I used Opentable.com back in May for Gibson's in Chicago and it worked out fine and I got the time I wanted.

When I wanted a reservation last Sunday and went on Opentable but they showed nothing available after 4 PM. Tried it again a day later and then the website informed me it wasn't working and to try later. I ended up calling Gibson's and getting a reservation for 5 PM like I'd wanted. I think I'll stick to calling places if I can.
The same scenario has happened to me with several Open Table restaurants. I will check there first sometimes. If they don't have availability, I will call and usually have decent success.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:11 pm

What's with availability on Open Table?

I always use Open Table if the restaurant is listed. Lately I've been having trouble getting reservations using my iPad but I find availability using my iPhone app. Anybody else having trouble?

Bobette
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Have not noticed this. Are you on ios 5?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I have seen this very limited. With no availability on Iphone but availability on the website on my pc. At the time, I was not running ios 5

Delta747
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:13 pm

I was not running ios 5 either.

Bobette
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
OpenTable VIP... are there any actual benefits?

I can't seem to find any info anywhere as to whether or not there are actual benefits to this "status." Anyone know?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
As far as I know, the only difference is that "VIP" appears next to your reservation at the restaurant. What the restaurant does with that tid-bit is their call. I always qualify, but I can't put my finger on anything positive coming from it. I suppose the best you could hope for is that, given a busy night with an unanticipated wait, you may get seated earlier rather than later.

IDine, OTOH, gives VIPs bonus miles. ^
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's a bit old, but see post thirteen in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...table-com.html
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:02 pm

I love Open Table. It's fast, easy and I like the points, of course. I like when I can find a restaurant I like that offers 1000 points. Even though I have enough to cash in, I haven't done it yet. Make sure you're checked in though. The points usually post immediately so I check on my phone before I leave the restaurant to make sure they've posted.

Bobette
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I guess the disadvantage is pretty much the same - you don't get to talk to anyone, so there's no chance of "sweet talking" your way into a table.
Actually, if there are no OT reservations available, you can always call. Not every restaurant has last-table availability on OT, or leaves a bit of cushion for computer error, walk-ins, hotel concierge (and other special) favors, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 pm

Opentable is great. One year I was stuck without a Valentine's reservation, and I kept refreshing the OT listings every few minutes. Didn't take long for a great spot to open up due to someone's cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.