Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hey all, of the 6 1* restaurants in Florence, which are your favorites and why? We will have 5 nights in Florence and want to sample some but not all of the Michelin restaurants here. We definitely plan to try 3* Enoteca Pinchiorri, as well. Thanks! (We will be staying at the St Regis, so we obviously will try 1* Winter Garden by Caino in the hotel.)
We aren´t impressed by Enoteca Pinchiorri. It was supposed to be the grand dame restaurant in Florence, and it was disappointing. The only dish that really stood out was the pasta dish in the chef´s tasting menu. I had to go back to my pictures to see what they were. Presentation was very sloppy. Don´t really know why it is a 3*. Should be 1* at most. At the time, I thought it was the best pasta I have ever had. The rest of the dishes were just average.

leggenda dei frati was reasonable. The best dish of the tasting menu was some kind of savory panna cotta with langustine. the beef was not good. pasta was also average. I think I went to another 1* but couldn´t find any pictures.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I haven't gone through this thread but Warsaw's Senses is pretty amazing for a 1* and the price, cheap as chips!
Coincidentally enough, I will be in Warsaw in four days. It's a long shot, but I will have to see what I can arrange.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I had dinner at Momofuku Ko last night. I loved the vibe and the open kitchen. I felt even closer to the action than at Atera or Blanca, which are also 2 Michelin star counter-style restaurants in NYC. At Atera the kitchen is set back a bit from the U-shaped counter, and what the counter actually surrounds is an open area and then the wine service table. At Blanca the counter is just one row that all face the kitchen. But at Momofuku the kitchen is entirely surrounded by the U-shaped counter, which I liked.

I also LOVED the beverage pairing. At $175 it was relatively pricey for what is the standard pairing option, but I have to say it was the most interesting and diverse pairing I've ever experienced. In addition to several wines of styles I'm familiar with (100% Pinot Meunier rose Champagne, Syrah from Crozes-Hermitage), there were 3 cocktails (one of which was made from aromatized Nebbiolo wine; another was a house-made Bloody Mary), a dry amontillado sherry, a dry Malvasia, a Jacquere-Chardonnay blend from the Savoie, a still wine from Champagne that had been fortified with brandy, and even a dessert sake that had been barrel-aged! The pairings worked very well with the food. I was told that they are in the R&D phase of a non-alcoholic pairing option, as well.

As for the food, there were some things I loved (the lobster roll with Thai basil amuse-bouche; the buttermilk-marinated skate served with a vin jaune and potato puree; the basil and chocolate dessert; the wild rice ice cream with kombu; and my favorite course, the sea urchin and fermented chickpea paste). I wasn't wowed by the classic egg/caviar dish, as I wasn't a fan of the sour sauce they paired it with. I much prefer the opening egg/caviar/brioche dish on The Modern's tasting menu. I also was unimpressed by the two meat courses, dry-aged beef au poivre and charred duck. The beef was unexciting to me, and the duck was actually cold by the time it was served to me! The cold duck was very unfortunate since the meat had a beautiful char and I appreciated the flavors. I also personally wasn't a fan of the scallop, pineapple, basil, and dashi bowl; it was too sweet for me.

All in all, I enjoyed more my meals at Jean-Georges (adding this to the list since it's now a 2-star), The Modern, Atera, and Blanca. I think two stars makes sense for Ko.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:46 pm

Had my first Michelin meal of the year tonight at Quilon in London and found it excellent. Such a nice surprise after all the disappointing meals I had last year in London. Highly recommend
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:20 am

Am a big fan of counter seating tasting menu restaurants and did Atera, Ko and Blanca on back-to-back nights about 1.5 years ago. The standout for me was Blanca since I find them to be more adventurous and tasty at the same time. Actually have been to Ko and Atera twice and while I find them to be decent, can't say I have been wow'ed. Will be back later this year and hope to do Brookyn Fare and Blanca back-to-back to see which one stands out
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Am a big fan of counter seating tasting menu restaurants and did Atera, Ko and Blanca on back-to-back nights about 1.5 years ago. The standout for me was Blanca since I find them to be more adventurous and tasty at the same time. Actually have been to Ko and Atera twice and while I find them to be decent, can't say I have been wow'ed. Will be back later this year and hope to do Brookyn Fare and Blanca back-to-back to see which one stands out
Brooklyn Fare is a sublime experience. It’s done so well.

As for me, I ate at Coi (3star, SF) last night on the 5th night of Erik Anderson’s new menu. I didn’t eat here before the change in chefs, but the food was absolutely phenomenal. The seafood dishes were all excellently executed, while the meats were also good (the duck torte was okay; the eye of the ribeye - drool). Here’s a few pictures below (not sure how well FT’s upload tool works):

The new menu, Day 5

Dungess crab terrine with black sesame and ginger...incredibly fine texture on the crab here

Sturgeon in chicken cream, cabbage salad, and chicken heart

Eye of the ribeye...so flavorful and succulent
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Wow, those pictures from Coi look fabulous!

I've noticed that a few more Michelin-starred restaurants have raised prices. Quince is now up to $275 (from $250), Atelier Crenn is going up to $335 in April (service included, was $325), and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare is now $394.36 (with service and tax included; was previously $330 with service included but no tax).
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Wow, those pictures from Coi look fabulous!

I've noticed that a few more Michelin-starred restaurants have raised prices. Quince is now up to $275 (from $250), Atelier Crenn is going up to $335 in April (service included, was $325), and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare is now $394.36 (with service and tax included; was previously $330 with service included but no tax).
Coi was $250 before 20% gratuity automatically added. Add in a $150(!) supplement for a gold-tinted black truffle tart (delicious BTW, but kind of small given the price) and $50 for a delicious imperial brown ale from The Bruery (large size), and the check pushed near $1,000 after tax. Crazy to think that my birthday dinner (EMP, after a 6-7 year hiatus) is going to be cheaper...
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:10 pm

Has anyone been to both Core and Bibendum and can compare the two? Have booked Kitchen Table and Aulis already and am deciding between these two for the last night

Wow, that crab meat terrine looks fantastic!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 15, 2018 at 9:34 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jbeans
Winter Garden is the only 1* spot I've been to in Florence, and we liked it a lot! Wine selection and great service particularly stood out for me.

Not a Michelin star, but if you're into wine, Osteria dell'Enoteca was one of my favorite meals in Florence. It's opened by a group of ppl who started a wine bar down the street, so needless to say the wine selection was fantastic. Instead of bringing you a wine menu, they take you into their cellar to choose a bottle. Definitely worth a visit if you have time.
I can +1 this - we had a great meal here
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:37 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
La Maison de Têtes Girardin - Colmar

As promised my review of the fantastic La Maison des Têtes Girardin in beautiful Colmar with one Michelin star: La Maison de Tetes Girardin - Fine Dining Colmar

An overarching theme, every dish tasting like a piece of heaven, elegant yet simplistic-Scandinavian atmosphere, and the most friendly and sincere service you can imagine.

Btw: including wine I was only billed 150 EUR for 8 courses.

On leaving, when chef Éric Girardin came out to bid me farewell, I could see honest happiness in his face when I told him how excellent the evening has been. I'll be back, Monsieur
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:48 pm

Planning a trip to Chicago, and just saw that Grace has abruptly closed?! https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/d...t-closing.html

This will actually be my first time in Chicago. Of course will try to go to Alinea, any other recommendations/tips are highly appreciated please! Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Planning a trip to Chicago, and just saw that Grace has abruptly closed?! https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/d...t-closing.html

This will actually be my first time in Chicago. Of course will try to go to Alinea, any other recommendations/tips are highly appreciated please! Thanks in advance!
Yeah, a lot of fine dining has closed here in Chicago. I liked Acadia when I was there around September.
jbeans likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Will be in Barcelona soon and hold reservations for Lasarte, Abac and Moments. We will see
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

Not in any way fine dining, but Avec in Chicago is one of my all time favourite informal restaurants. It reminds me a lot of Momofuku Ssam in New York, which is high praise indeed coming from me.
jbeans likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.