Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
No, the hostess who commanded that I could not be seated anywhere else but seven inches from the restaurant's only other occupant was in Detroit, at the Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Center. Happened a few years ago, but I recall this incident like it happened yesterday.

Anybody venture a guess as to why these sadistic hosts and hostesses insist someone sit so uncomfortably close to another diner in an empty restaurant? Obviously they want to keep the few diners together within a server's station, but why to this extreme?
The closer the parties are to each other, the easier on the server, and also, the easier it is for the hostess to keep track of what tables are available. However, perhaps she was just incredibly grumpy that day, and that's why she didn't want to be nice.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
No, the hostess who commanded that I could not be seated anywhere else but seven inches from the restaurant's only other occupant was in Detroit, at the Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Center. Happened a few years ago, but I recall this incident like it happened yesterday.

Anybody venture a guess as to why these sadistic hosts and hostesses insist someone sit so uncomfortably close to another diner in an empty restaurant? Obviously they want to keep the few diners together within a server's station, but why to this extreme?
Has anyone ever asked to talk to a manager when a hostess refused to seat you elsewhere? I would hate to have to do this but it seems ridiculous to have to sit next to someone else just to make the hostess happy.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Would you prefer to meet people to eat dinner with when traveling alone

I arrived in London on Monday evening and left late afternoon on Friday. It was a relatively busy week in which I worked for 1/2 a day with one client and 1 1/2 day with a second, had breakfast with COO of a client talking about a new engagement and another meeting with his head of Europe talking about the next step in the current engagement, and then had dinner with the former CEO of a former client. On two of the nights, I ate by myself at nice Indian restaurants and while I am not embarrassed about dining alone, even at nice restaurants, I don't enjoy it as much as if I were eating with someone. [I bring The Economist and/or a book on my ipod, so I am not bored]. I'm generally uninterested in hotel restaurants as they are usually not good and get bored with room service, which is usually a bad version of what the hotel restaurant sells.

In London, I know a number of people and could probably have set up dinners, but in other cities, I don't and so face this problem. Does anyone else prefer not to dine alone? If so, how do you deal with it? I saw one suggestion about going to restaurant bars to eat, as unaccompanied people often eat at the restaurant bars. I've shied away from bars generally as I am not a big drinker and I'm not looking to pick anyone up as I'm happily married.

So, what if anything do you do if you a) don't feel like eating alone; and b) haven't or can't arrange to have someone to eat with?
Old May 15, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Most of my big time traveling days are over, but when I was traveling a lot I really didn't like going to a restaurant by myself, even if it was in the hotel. I'd search out some decent places to go, the expense account will cover it, and 9 out of 10 times I ended up calling for room service.

This is one of those everyone is different things - but I'm in your camp!
Old May 15, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I don't like dining alone - i just feel weird doing it. I used to do it for a while when i had a job that paid more then I needed and thus on lunch i'd spend crazy amounts of money trying out the nice places in the vicinity. That phase only lasted until I had tried every restaurant in that area.

I think lunch maybe isn't so bad, but i dunno why but I will avoid eating dinner in public alone like the plague. I just feel... "alone" and sorta loser-like.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: Independent
As much as dining alone can be bothersome to me, I think the idea of dining with a stranger and then adding that stress on top of everything would be more than I could take.

I tend not to choose fancy restaurants, but instead stick to fast casual places, diners, etc. I also try to go early or late. Often times you can strike up conversations with the wait staff. I find it easier to dine alone in smaller, quieter places as well, ethnic restaurants seem to be good at this.

I also find it easier to eat in a business district - there it seems more "acceptable" that you are dining alone.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Dinner is not normally my big meal of the day. Preferably breakfast is, and if not possible, then lunch. Most often when on the road I prefer a small meal or appetizer in a bar for dinner. In most all cases, I prefer to eat alone. I especially dislike eating in groups of more than 4, and avoid it if at all possible. I do realize I'm in the minority on this.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I'd rather eat alone, especially after traveling and/or being with clients all day. It's one of the few times I can have some peace and quiet.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
KNRG, I don't feel at all troubled by it -- it says nothing about me other than a) I don't know people in the city I'm in; or b) I haven't arranged to have dinner with somebody. My self-perception is not affected by dining alone and I'm not worried about the perceptions of other patrons or wait staff of a restaurant. But unlike braslver or BLI-Flyer, I'd typically prefer not to eat alone. [There are times when I'd be too tired or wanting a very quick dinner to get back to work, but those are probably in the minority].

I suppose there's no social networking site for people working out of town (and I'm not sure who would turn up). Any thoughts about how someone busy not looking for romantic relationships would connect with other similar-minded people?
Old May 16, 2009, 8:52 am

I been thinking about this for years and was always to sub-conscience to ask anyone what they do when they are travelling alone. As person who is on the road about 90 days a year I spend a lot time dining alone. I could spend time with clients at dinner, but I prefer to turn off work mode after hours. One thing I have done in the past that makes me feel more comfortable is to book at table for 4 and say the rest of the party is coming. Then after 15 minutes or more go ahead in order and later say the rest of the party will not be coming. I have found the staff is more friendly towards me for being "stood up" I always tip well (I am on an expense account after all). I tip the host and waiter when I return to the restaurant a lot of times the staff remember me and I feel less uncomfortable.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I don't really feel funny eating alone, but I do get bored very quickly. I'll bring along a book or newspaper so I have something to look at other than my hands. Usually I do try to eat at the bar as they have TV's with some sort of sports to watch. Also, bartenders can be much more chatty than waiters since they are pretty much tethered to that location. While talking to bartenders I sometimes get great tips for other restaurants and things to do while in their city.

By the way, for those who aren't big drinkers, there is nothing wrong with ordering a coke or water while at the bar. The bartenders don't mind as long as you are tipping!
Old May 16, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by none2one
I been thinking about this for years and was always to sub-conscience to ask anyone what they do when they are travelling alone. As person who is on the road about 90 days a year I spend a lot time dining alone. I could spend time with clients at dinner, but I prefer to turn off work mode after hours. One thing I have done in the past that makes me feel more comfortable is to book at table for 4 and say the rest of the party is coming. Then after 15 minutes or more go ahead in order and later say the rest of the party will not be coming. I have found the staff is more friendly towards me for being "stood up" I always tip well (I am on an expense account after all). I tip the host and waiter when I return to the restaurant a lot of times the staff remember me and I feel less uncomfortable.
I travel several weeks per month and eat alone quite often. I actually like the down time and find if I go to a nice resturant with a bar I am very comfortable there watching TV having dinner and a drink. I am not looking to meet anyone and periodically will strike up a conversation with someone in a similiar circumstance.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RogerB
I travel several weeks per month and eat alone quite often. I actually like the down time and find if I go to a nice resturant with a bar I am very comfortable there watching TV having dinner and a drink. I am not looking to meet anyone and periodically will strike up a conversation with someone in a similiar circumstance.
+1 on this, but it depends on my mood.

Sometimes room service and "American Idol" on the TV can be a relaxing way to end a stressful day.

I also will sometimes have a big breakfast, a late lunch, and just a nibble in the Exec Lounge before turning in (and skip the big dinner all together).
Old May 16, 2009, 1:42 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I totally agree with this....

Oftentimes, I will just pick up dinner from a restaurant and take it back to the room.... and catch the local news and unwind.

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I'd rather eat alone, especially after traveling and/or being with clients all day. It's one of the few times I can have some peace and quiet.
Old May 16, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by wharvey
I totally agree with this....

Oftentimes, I will just pick up dinner from a restaurant and take it back to the room.... and catch the local news and unwind.
I do that sometimes too but I should clarify. I prefer to eat alone even in restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.