Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durian

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rampo
400 baht!?! Yikes! In season (roughly May through August) one typically sees roadside stands selling them for 20-30 baht per kilo. I am not a fan - to me it tasted something like a slightly rotten sweet onion.
Not all durians are equal. In Singapore, they put different criteria and price them accordingly. A good one can go more than $25 per kg.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:38 pm
Suspended

It's beyond me why people would pay money to buy something that smells like a cross between decomposing flesh and vomit.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol - in my case, just to try it!

A poster kindly PMd me where I can try, so will give it a go when I get the time to walk up there.

Thanks all - I am looking forward to / dreading in equal measure!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
Lol - in my case, just to try it!

A poster kindly PMd me where I can try, so will give it a go when I get the time to walk up there.

Thanks all - I am looking forward to / dreading in equal measure!
Thanks for blowing my cover.

Like all other fruits it has to eaten at its prime. Just ripe off the tree.

The best are the one that fell off the tree overnight. In SIN KUL BKK these command a premium.
Durian farm hang fishing nets about 4-6 feet off the ground tied to the tres and stakes. Every morning they will pick up the ripen fruits that has fallen off the tree onto these nets.

Frozen Durian, whole or just the seeds, forget about it.

There is a fruit-stand in old Toronto Chinatown who import their fresh Asian exotic fruit by air. It is the only place that I know it is never frozen around Toronto. I wait for my SE Asia trips to get a real fix and when I am in Durian withdraw, that stand will do.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Thanks for blowing my cover.

Like all other fruits it has to eaten at its prime. Just ripe off the tree.

The best are the one that fell off the tree overnight. In SIN KUL BKK these command a premium.
Durian farm hang fishing nets about 4-6 feet off the ground tied to the tres and stakes. Every morning they will pick up the ripen fruits that has fallen off the tree onto these nets.

Frozen Durian, whole or just the seeds, forget about it.

There is a fruit-stand in old Toronto Chinatown who import their fresh Asian exotic fruit by air. It is the only place that I know it is never frozen around Toronto. I wait for my SE Asia trips to get a real fix and when I am in Durian withdraw, that stand will do.
You outed yourself on that one!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
You outed yourself on that one!
I needed to help everyone understand my favorite fruit and not mistreat it due to misunderstanding.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I think the best way to get introduced to durian is the Thai dessert which tops it on sweet sticky rice. The rice cuts the overrich durian flesh.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I used to eat Durian a bit but not too much when I lived in Chinatown in NYC... definitely an aquired smell, but the taste was superb.

And yeah, the subway signs in SIN are hiarious.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:34 am

Love Durians!
There are lots of varieties nowadays and some types go for top dollar.

Might still be durian season now.
Started just over a month ago, i think.

I like the "mao shan wang"(cat mountain king) variety.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:04 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
My wife tried durian a few years back in Thailand. We were talking about it at a floating market. A family walked by with it and overheard of us chatting. They were eating it and offered my wife a taste. Based on the face she made, we can say that she did not enjoy the durian!

Last edited by MichaelWTravels; Jul 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Eating one right now...
THE BEST!

Couple of pointers:

1) IME the roundest ones seem to be the best for maximum edible-fruit to overall-weight ratio. The flat ones should be avoided, as they tend to have less of the good stuff. Is this even true, or just a misguided observation on my part?
2) Supposedly not good if consumed with alcohol because of its Diethyl Disulfide content.
3) Drove it back from the store in the boot. Made the whole car smell within minutes. What can you do? It's the price of admission!

In Beijing they can cost about ~RMB25 per 500gr, which works out to be about US$15 per nice sized one. (I have paid double that though, on the odd occasion!).
Giantlonglegs likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
6.5 years later, Durian remains stinky!
narvik likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:22 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by narvik
Eating one right now...
THE BEST!

Couple of pointers:

2) Supposedly not good if consumed with alcohol because of its Diethyl Disulfide content.
Amusing, if only because alcohol isn't good for us anyway...

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to have ackee and cassava.
narvik likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have never tasted a durian. However a colleague just returned from a trip to Asia, Malaysia IIRC. He brought back a box of durian cookies and offered them around the office. I held off a couple days and took a bite this morning. I told him if I sprinkled sugar on a cat's behind and took a lick, it might taste like that cookie. He said durian itself tastes like a cat's behind without the sugar. I cannot rid my palate of the flavor.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:58 am

Absolutely love Druian. It's the most delicious of fruits. I just love the creamy texture.

Some call me weird, but I actually find the smell strangely pleasant too.

If only there weren't so expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.