Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durian

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It has an incredible texture, the taste isn't bad, and the smell is vile. In an enclosed space, it would be really a problem.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Some of the seed flesh (that's the part you eat) carries a rather bitter taste. Some people will buy 3-4 fruits and only eat a couple of seed pods from them (the flesh is very rich).

In contrast to what the 1st respondent said, they're not a popular item among Koreans AFAIK (don't see them at my local Korean markets). They are much more popular in SE Asia (so think Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and probably Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma).

When they're imported here, they're generally imported frozen (some chain called RCSS sell them in select areas in Canada). I don't know if this affects the taste and flavour (not sure how ripe the fruit was in the first place).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Andrew Zimmern, the Bizarre Foods guy on TV who eats just about anything, spit out durian when he tried it. Google his name and durian; you can probably see the episode somewhere online.

I saw that episode and have also eaten durian a number of times and I can not reconcile his reaction. I'm kind of indifferent on how much I like it, it's OK, and interesting but not one of my most favorites nor one of my least favorites. I could see how allot of people wouldn't like it or the smell, but it does not strike me as nearly as gut wrenching as Andrew Zimmern portrayed. Especially after all the other stuff that guy has eaten.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Some of the seed flesh (that's the part you eat) carries a rather bitter taste. Some people will buy 3-4 fruits and only eat a couple of seed pods from them (the flesh is very rich).

In contrast to what the 1st respondent said, they're not a popular item among Koreans AFAIK (don't see them at my local Korean markets). They are much more popular in SE Asia (so think Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and probably Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma).

When they're imported here, they're generally imported frozen (some chain called RCSS sell them in select areas in Canada). I don't know if this affects the taste and flavour (not sure how ripe the fruit was in the first place).
Oh interesting everyone, thank you! We have a RCSS near us so will try there! It was an airport in Malaysia, so that makes sense, not sure I know anywhere I can get Malay groceries.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I'm kind of indifferent on how much I like it, it's OK, and interesting but not one of my most favorites nor one of my least favorites.
+1 It is no where as offensive as the "western" media makes it out to be.

I could see how allot of people wouldn't like it or the smell, but it does not strike me as nearly as gut wrenching as Andrew Zimmern portrayed. Especially after all the other stuff that guy has eaten.
I thought he would have tried this but apparently he hasn't.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The ripe fruit tastes quite good, however it packs a very pungent smell and you can smell it from a mile away. It's banned on the Singapore Subway for a reason. Someone brought one onto the Skytrain in KL and the whole car stunk really bad after one or two stops.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
+1 It is no where as offensive as the "western" media makes it out to be.

I thought he would have tried this but apparently he hasn't.
I'm loving Gordon Ramsey's 'Great Escapes' he has had still beating snake heart, fried tarantulas, bull penis soup, etc etc. My brother has always been an adventurous eater (as a kid he was ordering wild boar and offal while other children were ordering chicken nuggets!) and he had an amazing time in SE Asia when he went last year, trying similar 'delicacies'.

Me? I'm veggie!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:46 pm

It smells like rotting flesh, but tastes (to me) like creamy buttery lemon vanilla.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Andrew Zimmern, the Bizarre Foods guy on TV who eats just about anything, spit out durian when he tried it. Google his name and durian; you can probably see the episode somewhere online.
Well, Andrew Zimmern tried it 3x, he can't stand it. However, Anthony Bourdain loves it and can't get enough of it - Bourdain 1 - Zimmern 0
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
Oh interesting everyone, thank you! We have a RCSS near us so will try there!
They're not in all RCSSs. Just those in areas with a large-enough (east) asian clientale (so for me, south and east Vancouver). Certainly won't find it in the RCSS closest to YLW (or probably YXX)!

The other one to try (now part of Loblaw's/RCSS) is T&T and they have locations in the YYZ and YOW areas.

Durians are seasonal too and I have no inkling of when that might be.

It was an airport in Malaysia, so that makes sense, not sure I know anywhere I can get Malay groceries.
Not much of a Malaysian (or Indonesian) immigrant community in Canada AFAIK which makes it hard. Scouring shops that cater to south Indians/tamils, Singaporeans, Thais, Viets and Philippinos generally will yield most of what you seek.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see them quite often at 99 Ranch and i think some other asian grocery stores here in LA. Frozen obviously.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:47 pm
Suspended

It shouldn't be difficult to find one in Toronto's chinatown.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:42 am

i've had it but it was fresh straight off of the tree in chantaburi, thailand (one of the major durian growers) and outside. i guess the factors made the experience as pleasant as it could be. i liked it although i'd have to try it again sometime. i bought some dried durian chips on the way home and there's barely any essence of durian in it.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Taste for me was neither good or bad just different. The price on the other hand was IMO way too much to pay for the fruit. 400B ($10) for fruit in Thailand is an obscene price.
400 baht!?! Yikes! In season (roughly May through August) one typically sees roadside stands selling them for 20-30 baht per kilo. I am not a fan - to me it tasted something like a slightly rotten sweet onion.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it odd that there are people who love the taste but dislike the smell. I usually stop in my tracks when I catch the fragrance and will go up to the fruit to drink in the scent - delicious!
I've had mixed results eating it in London, the first time I tried it the texture and some of the taste reminded me too much of a rotting onion, and not a particularly sweet one. Next attempt was much better, the fruit tasted much more closely to the smell - buttery/vanilla/citrus is a good description I share with the poster above.
However, perfectly ripe mangosteens remain my favourite fruit and these are even more elusive for a London dweller than decent durian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.