Search

Cuban Sandwiches

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2001, 9:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cuban Sandwiches

One of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten are the "Cuban" sandwiches. I usually get these in Tampa or Miami (surprise!).

It consists of Cuban bread w/roast pork, ham, pickles, swiss cheese (or something similar),mustard and mayo (yes both).

The sandwich is then put in foil and pressed by a two sided hot grill. This makes the bread very flat and crispy. All the stuff inside melts together. AWESOME!!!!

I have never seen these sandwiches anywhere else in the US. I'm hoping I'm wrong because it is a great sandwich.

Anybody have a Cuban sandwich outside of Florida?
Old Aug 17, 2001, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I eat them all the time in Puerto Rico, Miami and occasionally in South Philly. Nice wonderful collection of fantastic tastes and aromas. For the record, I have NEVER heard of that tacky aluminum foil bit. I would think that cheapens such and really reduces the flavor. A Puerto Rico friend cautioned me to NEVER ask for a "Cubano" at a restaurant, always ask for a "Cubano Sammish", in espanol, of course. I think you know what he meant.

MisterNice
Old Aug 18, 2001, 2:48 pm

I sat next to a dead-heading AA pilot the other day. He recommends the Cuban sandwiches at MIA.
Old Aug 20, 2001, 2:52 pm

There are also a couple of places in New York city that are well-known for their cubanos. When you need a fix, they hit the spot!
Old Aug 21, 2001, 6:01 pm

On Sunday, the Mason Jar at the intersection of NJ Route 17 and U.S. 202 in Mahwah, NJ, offered Cuban sandwiches as a special.
Old Aug 22, 2001, 10:03 pm

Wash one down with a Mojito!!!!

They were good enough for Ernest Hemingway!!
Old Aug 23, 2001, 9:02 pm

GREAT Cuban sandwiches in Atlanta at "Havana Sandwich Shop" on Buford Highway, just south of Druid Hills Rd!
Old Sep 23, 2001, 9:52 am
Original Poster

found a great sandwich place in the Oakley area of Cincinnati, Ohio that serves cuban sandwiches.

The Production Line Cafe, located at 3210 Madison Road in Oakley, phone: 513.321.1205
has the best "Cuban" sandwiches north of the Mason-Dixon line that I've had. Although not flattened like a traditional Cuban, the bread was crispy/warm and all the traditional ingredients were excellent. The Production Line Cafe also has many other excellent sandwich choices. They also provide meals (most very good) that can either be eaten on premise or take out. The deserts/cookies are rich and buttery. Call to find out what is on the menu for the day. Highly recommended.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There are 2 Cuban joints in SAN - one downtown and slightly-more upscale place just north of old town S.D. Never tried teh sandwiches there and haven't been in S.D. for a while.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
In Glendale, CA (10 miles north of downtown LA), I strongly recommend Porto's Bakery. It is on Brand Blvd south of Hwy 134.

People come from all over LA for the Cuban sandwiches as well as the cakes and desserts!

Absolutely delicious and very reasonable.

Enjoy
Kevin
Old Dec 14, 2001, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Ok, I have a trip to Miami coming up. What's your suggestion? Looking for the ultimate Cuban Sandwich experience. Taking some friends who have never seen Miami
Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2001, 7:56 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIFlyer:
Looking for the ultimate Cuban Sandwich experience. Taking some friends who have never seen Miami</font>
Get yourselves to Little Havana during the lunch hour. find one of the cafes that serves items (like cuban coffee) through the window. Order your cubans, grab a drink and either find a good place to people watch or take a walk as you eat or take them to the beach and watch the waves. I prefer the people watch route. I don't have any particular favorites as I have never had a poor cuban sandwich in S. FL.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

NY TIMES article on Cuban Sandwiches:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/06/di...pagewanted=all
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

There are two places in MSP that serve these. One is Cafe Havana in the MPLS warehouse dist. The other is called Bambooleo south of the corner of the Dale and Selby in St. Paul.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
The Kool Korner grocery has wonderful Cubans for lunch. It's near midtown Atlanta just off the Georgia Tech campus. The place is a dump but it's run by a Cuban guy who loves his work.

It's at 14th St. and Atlanta Ave. about a half mile west of I-75. Cash only, lunch only, to-go only but for $3.50 for a full-size Cubano with the works, it's worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.