Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2001, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Hotel Factors - What Matters Most?

Posted by: Dorian
Hotel Factors - What Matters Most?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poll Question:
When choosing a hotel...which of these makes the biggest difference?

Choices:
Loyalty Program (upgrades, points)
Price
Other (reply and explain!)

posted November 29, 2000 14:55

Reply: Gaucho
For me its a combination of two things.

1) quality of rooms & overall service
2) loyalty program issues

posted December 22, 2000 23:03

Reply: mauld
For me, while the Loyalty program would be key, in a situation where there are a variety of hotels of which I'm a member, the second most important factor is location. I'd much rather be able to walk to my destination from my hotel, than have to take a cab. Also, it helps if there are lots of things (restaurants, stores etc)close to my hotel.

posted March 02, 2001 15:03

Reply: kyklin
What about quality? For example, Ritz Carlton, Four Seaons, LHW, and Preferred Hotels and Resorts do not really belong in a chain.

posted March 02, 2001 23:24

Reply: simon
For me, the overall impression that I have when I leave from a stay is the most important factor. That translates into loyalty on both ends. If the hotel shows me that they appreciate my business, I will, all things being equal, return to that property. While cost is certainly relevant in making my decisions, as the saying goes "the bitterness of poor service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

posted March 22, 2001 01:07

Reply: AdamSmith55
I choose a hotel based on how large and luxurious the accommodations are. I always ask for the square footage of the room or suite (or villa!) and a website with pictures is a big help.

posted May 19, 2001 11:17

Reply: PepeLePew
I choose based on quality of service, room comfort and quality, hotel's common areas, gym facilities and location. Top priorities are service and room.

posted May 20, 2001 09:41

Reply: BlondeBomber
Value for Money. Best combination of things. I might be willing to drive an extra five minutes to get a room that is $50 cheaper but basically the same.

I want quiet, clean and, sometimes, sufficient space to do work. Free local telephone and parking often plays into the equation too.

Why stay at a $200 downtown Hilton when an $80 Hampton (or in some cases a $45 Red Roof Inn!) in the burbs will do fine (especially as I am not often working in the downtown core).

posted June 12, 2001 13:39

Reply: Rudi
I am with BlondeBomber on this one, when travelling alone.

If Gisela is accompanying me, I tend more to the downtown location (shopping, and more comfort: fitness room/pool).

Also:

* tendence to more luxury if I stay at the hotel also during day time
* after/before long haule flights arriving late/departing early: first/last night at an airport location with free shuttle service
* when skiing: must be a ski in/out place

posted June 13, 2001 04:59

Reply: squeakr
hotel factors... My most important requirement is a decent pool and jacuzzi..

posted June 16, 2001 00:52

Reply: Oliver
It's a combination of:
-Hotel design
-Room rates
-Location (City Center)

And I try to avoid hotel chains whenever I can.

posted July 04, 2001 12:27
Old Jul 7, 2001, 4:12 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Location, location, location,
Ambiance, ambiance,
Comfort,

and points, points, points, points!
Old Jul 7, 2001, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
By the end of the calendar year, I am likely to have visited each and every Ritz Carlton property (doesn't my work suck? .

Truth is, they are spotty. I've had some great experiences and some terrible experiences with Ritz.

(I had a disastrous stay at the Naples property.. every room is supposed to have a view of the Gulf of Mexico from the balcony. My balcony smelled of gas.. half the outlets didn't work.. the valet lost my car for over an hour..)

The reason I've stayed at so many is because I've attended conferences hosted there.

Wherever I go, I try to stay as close to the action as possible.. whether it's a conference (I'll always stay at the conference hotel b/c most business is done in the hallways and bars) or I'm visiting with clients. In the latter case, I'll stay as close to my meetings as possible.

When distance from where I'm going is roughly equal, I decide based on price.

When price is equal, I decide based on points.

Of course, I'm really new to focusing on hotel points and that may change.

For all my airline reward fascination, I've basically blown off the hotel end.. until NOW.

Thanks, FlyerTalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.