Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I wouldn't recommend Authentico to you. It's a nicer, upscale restaurant with a large outdoor area (we sat inside). The tacos were very good. But the salsas were bland and the "spicy" guacamole, while good, was not spicy at all. Biggest disappointment was the margaritas. Even though they appeared to be hand-crafted from the menu descriptions, they tasted like they were made with canned limeade. I think if we went again it would be a warm summer day where we can sit outside and eat tacos or enchiladas for lunch...and no margaritas. But I'm still determined to find at least one place in the north suburbs that compares to the many good places we could go when we were in the city - and is open for a nice sit down dinner.
That's why god invented beer.
Have a good trip---where in Mexico are you going?
Old May 15, 2021, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Funny margarita story -- we were at our local pub for dinner last night and I ordered a margarita. Our server asked what tequila I wanted, and I told him that I don't know brands, but would prefer something on the smokier side but not mezcal. And I wanted my margarita up and with salt. The server, who we know well, tells me he'll ask the bartender, who is the owner and who we also know well, to recommend a tequila. He brings my drink and I take one sip of it and it was too strong for me, so I ask him to take it back to the bar and ask for more lime and syrup. Anyway, while they're fixing it I tell Mr. CE that it was so strong I can still feel it burning in my stomach. Our server brings my drink back and tells me that apparently what the owner originally poured was a shaken tequila, served up with ice. LOL...not sure where the miscommunication came from! (Does anyone actually order tequila with salt and lime to sip?) The remade margarita was excellent!
Old May 15, 2021, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Funny margarita story -- we were at our local pub for dinner last night and I ordered a margarita. Our server asked what tequila I wanted, and I told him that I don't know brands, but would prefer something on the smokier side but not mezcal. And I wanted my margarita up and with salt. The server, who we know well, tells me he'll ask the bartender, who is the owner and who we also know well, to recommend a tequila. He brings my drink and I take one sip of it and it was too strong for me, so I ask him to take it back to the bar and ask for more lime and syrup. Anyway, while they're fixing it I tell Mr. CE that it was so strong I can still feel it burning in my stomach. Our server brings my drink back and tells me that apparently what the owner originally poured was a shaken tequila, served up with ice. LOL...not sure where the miscommunication came from! (Does anyone actually order tequila with salt and lime to sip?) The remade margarita was excellent!
I prefer my tequila straight, no lime or salt, and yes, I sip it.
gfunkdave and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well it's Steak Saturday but I'm actually going to be home tonight so we'll grill up some steaks and baked potatoes and corn on the cob elote style and drink a bunch of beer. Should be great.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Leftovers: jambalaya with andouille sausage, Swiss steak with carrots and mash. New items: sweet corn and steamed asparagus. I’m trying to clear out the fridge before a trip tomorrow.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
What is the pepperoni that you use for this? I’ve used salami from a charcuterie mix and I’m curious to try pepperoni.
Sorry for the belated response. I used Volpi gourmet uncured pepperoni, purchased at Trader Joe's.

Originally Posted by corky
That pizza is begging for some honey. Is that pepperoncini--the green stuff?
Looks delicious...nice crust
Green stuff is New Mexico green chile. We put it on everything! Quiet good with pepperoni in my opinion. We're finally getting the hang of the wood pizza oven, one pizza at a time!

Originally Posted by ILuvParis

My first attempt with, you guessed it, Rao’s pizza sauce! 😂Multicolored peppers and pepperoni. I finally got the caramelization right on the crust and loosened it before it got stuck on! I’m pleased.
Looking good! Rao's marinara makes a great pizza sauce

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2021 at 3:26 am Reason: merge
Old May 15, 2021, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Trader Joe’s chicken enchiladas
salsas & chips
sliced avocado

ice cream dessert:
Haagen Dasz mango
robbins mint chocolate chip
B&j oat of the swirled

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Sorry for the belated response. I used Volpi gourmet uncured pepperoni, purchased at Trader Joe's.
Aces I’ve added it to my TJ’s list. May they have pizza dough next time :-)

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Looking good! Rao's marinara makes a great pizza sauce
I use Rao’s pizza sauce and not the marinara for making pizza. I really don’t know the difference.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Aces I’ve added it to my TJ’s list. May they have pizza dough next time :-)
Good luck on finding them in stock. Enjoy!
Old May 16, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
That's why god invented beer.
Have a good trip---where in Mexico are you going?
Lol so true about beer.
And thank you, we are going to Los Cabos -- about half way between the two. Looking forward to a week of relaxation.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Does anyone actually order tequila with salt and lime to sip?)
Yes please! Although I prefer a good quality mezcal.
corky likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol so true about beer.
And thank you, we are going to Los Cabos -- about half way between the two. Looking forward to a week of relaxation.

I always go to San Jose del Cabo though I haven't been in years---that town is so nice....so you will be in the corridor? Have a great trip. Such a beautiful place.
JBord likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol so true about beer.

Buen viaje!!
Mezcal and tequila are definitely nice sipping drinks except I don’t have either with salt or lime.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I found eggplants in the fridge on Wednesday and was then told they were from the parent's visit to the Tuesday food bank, so I spent today making eggplant parmesan. I didn't fry the eggplant, rather baked it for 20 minutes then under the broiler to brown the breadcrumbs.

corky likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tonight was a gourmet extravaganza of Trader Joe’s frozen beef tacquitos and Trader Joe’s frozen chicken tikka.

And a martini and some rioja.

oh, and some Dove chocolate.
corky likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Dateline Cocoa Beach: Tuna steak, medium rare with baked potato and cole slaw. Prior to the slaw, a server brought “fritters” covered in powdered sugar. Reminded me of beignets. After the plates were cleared, the server brought key lime sorbet. Mrs BV ate both and declared them delicious. All washed down with whatever tap was local, an IPA but I didn’t catch the name.
JBord likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkey tacos with assorted toppings including sliced avocado and prawns

susiecakes!!! With Fairlight 2% milk
carrot cake
chocolate cake
marble cake

Originally Posted by csufabel
Well, I found eggplants in the fridge on Wednesday and was then told they were from the parent's visit to the Tuesday food bank, so I spent today making eggplant parmesan. I didn't fry the eggplant, rather baked it for 20 minutes then under the broiler to brown the breadcrumbs.
Gorgeous - I need to learn how to make this. I had the idea that eggplant needed so much time to dry prior to cooking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.