Wiki Posts
Search

Changing palate?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Changing palate?

In general, wine has always been my favorite alcoholic beverage, followed by cocktails, with beer coming in third. But when we lived in Maine I loved beer. The beer there is really second to none, and I had it often.

Since moving away, I have noticed I don't really like beer much anymore. Even if I find some of my favorite old Maine beers here in Chicago, I just don't enjoy them like I used to. I think part of it is that I still haven't regained most of my sense of smell since having covid 13 months ago. Things definitely don't taste like they used to...kind of pale shadows of what I remember them tasting like. But I can taste well enough to know what I'm having, at least.

I wonder if it's just a case of how your palate changes periodically. How have others experienced this?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I used to only eat Saltine crackers and peanut butter, and now I only eat pizza!
corky likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Surgery (because of anesthia) plus a certain drug regimen have changed my tasted buds and not for the better: can no longer do strong coffee and can't do even mildly spiced Mexican or Asian food.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
In general, wine has always been my favorite alcoholic beverage, followed by cocktails, with beer coming in third. But when we lived in Maine I loved beer. The beer there is really second to none, and I had it often.

Since moving away, I have noticed I don't really like beer much anymore. Even if I find some of my favorite old Maine beers here in Chicago, I just don't enjoy them like I used to. I think part of it is that I still haven't regained most of my sense of smell since having covid 13 months ago. Things definitely don't taste like they used to...kind of pale shadows of what I remember them tasting like. But I can taste well enough to know what I'm having, at least.

I wonder if it's just a case of how your palate changes periodically. How have others experienced this?
Quality draft beer doesn't travel well. My favorite is made a 20 minute drive from home. It doesn't taste the same many miles away from the brewery. I would wager if you were back in Maine it would taste closer to what you remember.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wine professionals have told me that one's wine preferences change as one gets older and as one experiments with more wines.

F&B taste differently when up in the air too.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Originally Posted by Heyden
Quality draft beer doesn't travel well. My favorite is made a 20 minute drive from home. It doesn't taste the same many miles away from the brewery. I would wager if you were back in Maine it would taste closer to what you remember.
Changing palate could be one thing. but, as stated, it could also be if it's a crafted beer. Water source, ingredient quality, aging time all play a role. There are lots of foods that have changed over time as well. I don't get the whipped butter, but the mass produced stuff definitely tastes different from when I was a kid. Definitely less "flavourful"... same with a lot of dishes. Before I could taste the subtlety in a whopper... now? It's more of a texture thing than flavour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.