Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Halloween Candy Are You Giving?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
What Halloween Candy Are You Giving?

I'm excited for my first Halloween in 15 years or so where we'll have trick-or-treaters. I may have gone a little overboard on the candy, but I also wanted to have candy without nuts for those with allergies. So, we have:
  • Skittles
  • Milky Way
  • Milky Way dark
  • Snickers
  • Twix
  • Three Musketeers
  • Reese's cups
  • Kit Kats
  • Almond Joy
  • Milk Duds
  • Whoppers
  • Hershey's Milk Chocolate
  • Oreo cookies
  • Chips Ahoy cookies
  • Ritz Bits cheese
I'm planning to assemble little goodie bags for the neighbors'' kids, and will try to cycle through the candy we won't eat first. I was going to give out full-size bars, because the price difference between those and the smaller sizes isn't much, but decided since I'll likely only be here for this year, I didn't want to start that here.

What candy is everyone else giving out?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We haven’t seen a trick or treater in 10 years. We debated helping out with Trunk or Treat at church but failed to sign up after we decided to do it. It might be fun to go and watch anyway.

If we did buy candy, it would not be Twizzlers. I can eat a pound of those in a sitting. Probably some dark chocolate bars that kids wouldn’t appreciate and Mrs BV would eat any leftovers gladly.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
We haven’t seen a trick or treater in 10 years. We debated helping out with Trunk or Treat at church but failed to sign up after we decided to do it. It might be fun to go and watch anyway.

If we did buy candy, it would not be Twizzlers. I can eat a pound of those in a sitting. Probably some dark chocolate bars that kids wouldn’t appreciate and Mrs BV would eat any leftovers gladly.
I bought candy that those in the house would generally eat, with a few exceptions. We will give out the candy we won't eat first.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I always go to Sams Club or Costco and get a variety pack or two of the full size candy bars. In reality it’s the same amount of candy they end up taking if they grab a handful of the snack sized ones, and it always gets a great reaction.

These seem to have been the favorites over the years.

M&Ms
Snickers
Twix
KitKat
Skittles
Starburst

We always end up with extra Milky Way. I’m beginning to think only my wife likes them.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
We are usually inundated with trick or treaters. Kids from other housing developments migrate into ours….and many times it lasts for 5-6 hours. I usually buy 6 bags of a mix of small candy bars. Most years 4-5 are handed out.. This year the selection includes:
Baby Ruth
Milky Way
Three Muskateer
Snickers
Nestle Crunch
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
This year will be the first in 31 years that we live in a neighborhood where we will get at least a few trick-or-treaters. Neighbors say to only expect 10-12. Wifey bought Butterfingers, 100,000 bars, and Reese's. Couldn't find my Halloween favorite mixed bag with Hersey's Krackel and Mr. Goodbar. I would have probably bought Snickers too.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
I always go to Sams Club or Costco and get a variety pack or two of the full size candy bars. In reality it’s the same amount of candy they end up taking if they grab a handful of the snack sized ones, and it always gets a great reaction.

These seem to have been the favorites over the years.

M&Ms
Snickers
Twix
KitKat
Skittles
Starburst

We always end up with extra Milky Way. I’m beginning to think only my wife likes them.
Next year, I'm hoping to hand out full-size bars.

My father likes Milky Way bars, so it isn't just your wife.
javabytes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Got a lot of classics - that’s what the masses gave

my prefs are butterfinger, Kit Kat, and some randos. Not sure how or when I’ll eat them!

Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hadn't gotten any candy prior to today (All Hallows Eve).

Stopped by our local Vons during the mid-afternoon - they'd completely shifted to Thanksgiving prep and Xmas candy displays: nothing left for Halloween.

Walked over to the CVS in the same complex. They were miid way throu showing off Thanksgiving and Xmas. Only Halloween candy was on two carts close to the entrance - and none of it was on sale anymore.

Sheesh.

David
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Supply chain disruptions led to completely bare shelves at many stores around me this year. Sams Club was sold out of literally every sort of candy, not just the Halloween-themed variety packs of snack-sized candy, but the vending aisle with the full-size candy was completely bare. Largely the same story at most grocery stores, and I wasn’t paying individual retail pricing for the full-size candy I usually give. (We probably get 75-100 trick or treaters every year.) I eventually found some supplies but ended up with some different items than usual (and they even put out Christmas candy early because there was so little else)… I was surprised at how much the kids went for lollipops. Tootsie Pops and Blow Pops disappeared from the bowl at a much faster rate than anything else.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For the first time ever, a home of mine in Sweden had way more Halloween trick-or-treat kids stop by than the homes in the US had where I spend most Halloweens. Ran down the Tootsie Pops in Sweden way more than in the US this Halloween. Halloween seems to be growing in popularity in Sweden over time, but 2021 seems to have come with a big jump for Halloween goers in Sweden. [It could be a function of the pandemic still meaning less children traveling far away for the fall school break and of people letting loose after the worse periods in the pandemic.]

Candy selection is definitely much weaker in Sweden than the US despite Sweden being much more about the loose bulk candy stuff year-round; and I tend to have candy brought in from the US anyway.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 5, 2021 at 3:46 am
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I gave nothing!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If I lived in Sweden, I would enjoy all the different European brands nonstop for chocolate, gummy, etc etc.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:03 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
We usually give out Rice Krispie treats. We don't have a lot of kids coming by so Mr. tcl ends up eating most of it by new years. We're avoiding full-sized bars because my parents once did and ended up with kids ringing their doorbell up past midnight, long after all the lights were out. Apparently the kids texted each other about a house giving out full-sized bars.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
We usually give out Rice Krispie treats. We don't have a lot of kids coming by so Mr. tcl ends up eating most of it by new years. We're avoiding full-sized bars because my parents once did and ended up with kids ringing their doorbell up past midnight, long after all the lights were out. Apparently the kids texted each other about a house giving out full-sized bars.
Thanks for the warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.