Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Earthenware, clay pot, donabe cooking - surprisingly versatile!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another of my 2020 lockdown slowdown discoveries, just hadn’t realised how incredibly versatile and convenient earthenware cooking pots are.

I bought one a few years ago as a way of making the kind of rice dishes that would damage/reduce the life of a dedicated electric rice cooker. Am not sure why it took me so long to look at making more things with it, but I finally did last year and am really surprised at what it can do and how well.

The one I have currently is quite small, just big enough to make three cups of rice with vegetables - perhaps a litre/2 pounds. The walls are very thick, so once it becomes hot (which takes 10-15 minutes) it stays hot for a further 20 minutes without requiring further fuel. The thick walls also distribute the heat inside well so the food doesn’t scorch easily. The other quality I value in this particular pot is the VERY heavy lid with no steam holes - steam is released eventually, but only if it gets hot enough to build up pressure.

What I did not know it could do - foods that usually require a Bain Marie (steam bath in an oven). Créme Caramel/Flan/Purin/Egg Custard or whatever you call it is incredibly simple to make in thick earthenware with a lid. No need to put it in the oven. Cook it over a flame for about 5-10 minutes and then leave it for 20 minutes in the residual heat.

“Chawan”mushi - egg “tofu” or savoury egg custard, same thing, no steam bath needed.

Bread - leave it to prove in the pot and then stick it in the oven (best if lined with parchment paper).

Curry or stew - the heavy lid means that no steam/liquid escapes when you cook it gently, so you can add loads of vegetables and there’s no need for water as the vegetable’s own liquids are retained. Makes the results really tasty.

Have just ordered another clay pot, this one has a less heavy lid with a vent hole in it, but it’s also much wider and with a bigger capacity (roughly 2.5 litres/5 pounds). I’m looking to make more stove to table meals (particularly Japanese nabe) and like the idea of making bread in it with a lid, like a cloche. Perhaps even baking chicken inside (I’m sure I saw another Flyertalker mentioning this as a cooking technique).

Would love to hear more and learn about other people’s recommendations for earthenware cooking. I still don’t think I have fully grasped their potential but my eyes have been opened!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Intriguing. I would love to try bread in a clay pot.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cook a whole chicken in this and it comes out wonderful. I usually add several lemons and lots of garlic and some rosemary. It does not brown in this unless you take off the lid for about 10 minutes at the end but it comes out super moist with tons of juice.
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...xoCMsAQAvD_BwE
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I frequently see Roemertopf vessels at thrift shops, sometimes in unused condition.

One can also buy Chinese clay pots which are good for oven as well a gas burners.
corky, LapLap and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Wow I feel tempted despite lack of space. I always enjoyed clay pot dishes in Asian restaurants, esp during childhood.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow I feel tempted despite lack of space. I always enjoyed clay pot dishes in Asian restaurants, esp during childhood.
Big things come from small beginnings! Perhaps I can tempt you into starting with a very modest sized pot.

A clay pot is the ideal way to get that delicious crust onto rice that children love so much:

Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My "fingernails on a chalkboard" is unglazed pottery. Even just skimming this thread makes me shiver. Next restaurant in Chicago has some unglazed dishes in their collection, and my customer profile now includes "no unglazed dishes" along with my bell pepper sensitivity. The first time I got a dish served on one of those plates, there was an artistically placed sauce that would have required me to scrape my fork over the plate...I had to ask them to replate it for me. I can't touch it and I definitely can't stand the sound of pieces of unglazed earthenware touching one another. Ugh, even just writing this is making my skin crawl. Needless to say, no earthenware cooking pots for us!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by LapLap
A clay pot is the ideal way to get that delicious crust onto rice that children love so much:

This is the first thing that comes to my mind when claypot is used for cooking. There are quite a few restaurants in Singapore, HK, and Malaysia specializing in claypot rice, with cured suasages (lap cheong) and more exotic ingredients like frog legs, though the rice crust at the end of the meal is inevitably a delight for many diners. This is also the case when one have Korean bibimbap. Many Korean dishes are also served in claypots like their tofu soup (sundubu) and ginseng chicken.

While I visited Chile a couple of years back, the dish Pastel de Choclo is served in a claypot bowl, and it kept the corn pudding warm for the duration of the meal, which is nice when having it in the winter time.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
My "fingernails on a chalkboard" is unglazed pottery. Even just skimming this thread makes me shiver. Next restaurant in Chicago has some unglazed dishes in their collection, and my customer profile now includes "no unglazed dishes" along with my bell pepper sensitivity. The first time I got a dish served on one of those plates, there was an artistically placed sauce that would have required me to scrape my fork over the plate...I had to ask them to replate it for me. I can't touch it and I definitely can't stand the sound of pieces of unglazed earthenware touching one another. Ugh, even just writing this is making my skin crawl. Needless to say, no earthenware cooking pots for us!
My daughter is with you on this, but with any metal-ceramic scraping at the table - on the plus side it has motivated her chopstick skills! My intention for this thread was about using pots for cooking, not eating except for serving from. Red hot individual stone bowls at the home table are terrifying; quite natural having spent the past ten years nurturing an infant.

There is a quite different problem with unglazed pots that makes me tend towards avoiding them. Unglazed earthenware, unless it is scrupulously dried AND stored in a way it can be ventilated has a tendency to collect mould. It means you can’t store some pots with the lids on, and others you need to be careful in case you find it blooming on the underside base. My mother suggests storing these with some dry rice in them (but I dislike the idea of wasting rice this way). Where the utensils come into close prolonged contact with the food, I like them to be glazed. Then again, I’m a novice.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I have one that I've been using regularly for things that start on the stove and move to the oven. This includes dishes where I sear meat, then add other ingredients. I used it for shepherd's pie yesterday. I cooked the ground meat, onions, and carrots, added sauce, and then topped with mashed potatoes to bake.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I have one that I've been using regularly for things that start on the stove and move to the oven. This includes dishes where I sear meat, then add other ingredients. I used it for shepherd's pie yesterday. I cooked the ground meat, onions, and carrots, added sauce, and then topped with mashed potatoes to bake.
Any particular type? I've always been afraid that they'd crack. The Chinese ones are very thick so not sure how durable they are with repeated heating and cooling (though cheap). Closest I have are some very cheap ones acquired in Egypt that's used to make the equivalent of moussaka. Do have some Pampered Chef stuff (picked up at thrift shops so the 4 pieces I have cost less than any one piece new) but they're not stove-top safe.

Of course, earthenware doesn't work on induction.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Any particular type? I've always been afraid that they'd crack. The Chinese ones are very thick so not sure how durable they are with repeated heating and cooling (though cheap). Closest I have are some very cheap ones acquired in Egypt that's used to make the equivalent of moussaka. Do have some Pampered Chef stuff (picked up at thrift shops so the 4 pieces I have cost less than any one piece new) but they're not stove-top safe.

It's a Pampered Chef Rockcrok. It is both stovetop and oven safe.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That’s a problem that has been solved. The bigger donabe makers in Japan release IH versions of their earthenware. Here’s a consumer panel putting a selection of them to the test: https://my-best.com/782
They tend to cost a bit more because of the added elements needed to allow the pots to work on an induction heater, but they are well established in Japan.

My most lusted after earthenware pot has IH versions also:
https://www.bestpot.jp/lineup_ih/

Many of the Japanese donabe come from Mie and use a famous lake bed clay which is known for being able to withstand very high temperatures. So long as it isn’t empty, and so long as the temperature change isn’t sudden, they cope well with stove top to oven. An example I’ve used mine for has been Normandy style rice pudding - Teurgoule. Cook on the stove to begin with, then into the oven for 3 hours.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
It's a Pampered Chef Rockcrok. It is both stovetop and oven safe.
Thanks. Had no idea PC made such a beast. Will have to keep an eye out in the thrift shops

Originally Posted by LapLap
That’s a problem that has been solved. The bigger donabe makers in Japan release IH versions of their earthenware. .
I am concerned about how many thermal cycles they can take and how the magnetic iron is embedded in the clay (or however it is done). Haven't got the induction cooktop yet anyway (still have 2 weeks to hum and haw over it).
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:22 am

Thanks. Had no idea PC made such a beast. Will have to keep an eye out in the thrift shops

I am concerned about how many thermal cycles they can take and how the magnetic iron is embedded in the clay (or however it is done). Haven't got the induction cooktop yet anyway (still have 2 weeks to hum and haw over it).
They have a few different sizes of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.