Search

What is "cooking cream"?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
What is "cooking cream"?

Hi -

First world problem, I know, but I figured someone here might know the answer.

There's an Israeli woman who has a Youtube cooking channel that I watch, and she had a great recipe for baked pasta with spinach in a cheesy tomato cream sauce, which I want to make this week. The recipe calls for שמנת לבישול , which translates as "cooking cream." I have never heard of that term in English, and I'm trying to figure out what product might be equivalent to that in the US.

From doing a Google search on the Hebrew and looking at the pictures, it seems that in Israel this cream has something like 15-18% fat. In the US, all I've ever seen is whipping cream, which appears to have around twice that fat content. I'm thinking that would be too heavy, given the dish will already be pretty cheese-intensive. Is there a better kind of cream to use? Unfortunately, when looking at products on supermarket websites here, none of them seem to give the percentage of fat content.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
https://www.anchorfoodprofessionals....ing-cream.html
Specially formulated to hold hot temperatures, it is ideal for cook - chill - reheat applications. An already reduced consistency cream means shorter cooking times, great consistency and higher yield. That means when you buy one quart, you use one quart.

Creams that are perfect for making sauces ahead of time to re-heat without any splitting or curdling.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-cooking-cream
Cooking Cream = Heavy Whipping Cream or Manufactured Cream is a fat enriched cream used in cooking in the USA and in some other countries. It has around 30% to 35% fat content.
Cooking cream is useful in hot dishes, primarily because it does not clump or curdle when you add it in. Which means you dont have to stand there whipping/ stirring up a storm. Cooking cream mixes in with whatever you're cooking to create a smooth creamy texture. The cream doesn't curdle due to the presence of stabilizers and other additives.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:25 am

Realise specific to the US but in Norway you have something called “food cream” - meant to be used in cooking, think 14-15% fat and cannot be whipped. Gives the creaminess with less of a fat feeling. In the UK the equivalent is single cream (vs double cream or whipping cream for whipping). Despite other poster saying the opposite, I would agree with the OP that he’s looking for a lower fat content one.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Mr Google suggests half and half has 10-18%. It’s a rather wide range, but maybe that could work?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies!

Originally Posted by Calcifer
Mr Google suggests half and half has 10-18%. It’s a rather wide range, but maybe that could work?
Isn't half and half only used for coffee, though? I've never heard of that being used in cooking - but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll have to try Stop & Shop this weekend. My other local NYC supermarkets are pretty questionable in the dairy department; when I've tried to find simpler things like buttermilk they only have maybe one variety. S&S seems to have something called "light cream," but I don't know if that's lighter than half and half or not - they don't give a fat content. Sigh.

In the worst case, I guess I can just test out a small amount of whipping cream and dilute with milk if it's too heavy... first-world problem, as I said.

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Realise specific to the US but in Norway you have something called “food cream” - meant to be used in cooking, think 14-15% fat and cannot be whipped. Gives the creaminess with less of a fat feeling. In the UK the equivalent is single cream (vs double cream or whipping cream for whipping). Despite other poster saying the opposite, I would agree with the OP that he’s looking for a lower fat content one.
I think that product is exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't think it exists here. I have a friend who's Dutch and cooks a lot, so I'll ask him this weekend what he might recommend. He also would know if there's some niche European grocery store that might have it in stock.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 16, 2020 at 11:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
For me, I use single cream for cooking and double cream for eating. I've never found anything in the USA which comes close for either purpose, usually settling on Heavy Whipping Cream, but I don't really like it very much. I tend to go with a non-dairy diet in the USA as I don't like the cream and don't like the cheese. At least that makes it slightly healthier as I contend with the sugar content!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

Isn't half and half only used for coffee, though? I've never heard of that being used in cooking - but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll have to try Stop & Shop this weekend. My other local NYC supermarkets are pretty questionable in the dairy department; when I've tried to find simpler things like buttermilk they only have maybe one variety. S&S seems to have something called "light cream," but I don't know if that's lighter than half and half or not - they don't give a fat content. Sigh.

In the worst case, I guess I can just test out a small amount of whipping cream and dilute with milk if it's too heavy... first-world problem, as I said.
I think sometimes half &half has a sweetner added so check the label.
how much cooking cream is called for--do you think having the wrong thing won't make much difference in the end result. It depends on the purpose of the ingredient...often there are interchangeable options .
and yes...half & half is used for things beyond coffee.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
I think sometimes half &half has a sweetner added so check the label.
how much cooking cream is called for--do you think having the wrong thing won't make much difference in the end result. It depends on the purpose of the ingredient...often there are interchangeable options .
and yes...half & half is used for things beyond coffee.
The recipe calls for half a cup/125 mL. That would be blended in with a big can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and a lot of grated cheese. So if need be I guess I could use maybe a quarter cup whipping cream and a quarter cup milk. I don't want the sauce to end up getting too cakey during the baking.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The recipe calls for half a cup/125 mL. That would be blended in with a big can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and a lot of grated cheese. So if need be I guess I could use maybe a quarter cup whipping cream and a quarter cup milk. I don't want the sauce to end up getting too cakey during the baking.
I don't think it will make any difference . Unless you would normally have both on hand, i would pick one and just use that....either whipping cream, whole milk or half&half. None of those options should make anything cakey.
I suggest you pick one and make it....if you think heavy cream makes it too rich....next time use milk. Or if you use milk and want it thicker adjust next time . The cheese will add plenty of fat and thickness so I personally would use milk.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
I don't think it will make any difference . Unless you would normally have both on hand, i would pick one and just use that....either whipping cream, whole milk or half&half. None of those options should make anything cakey.
I suggest you pick one and make it....if you think heavy cream makes it too rich....next time use milk. Or if you use milk and want it thicker adjust next time . The cheese will add plenty of fat and thickness so I personally would use milk.
Thanks. I have actually none of those things on hand; all I drink at home is skim milk. So I'll have to pick something up from the store this week regardless.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
I would not go to the trouble of using half milk and half cream. Just get half and half which is half milk and half cream hence the title. I agree with others that since it's only 1/2 a cup, it won't matter if the fat% is a bit higher or lower.
corky and readywhenyouare like this.

Last edited by mary mary; Nov 13, 2020 at 10:13 am Reason: Edited to add: Don't ever get "fat free half and half". It substitutes sugar and chemicals to get the mouth feel of fat.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Half and half does not have sweeter added - a coffee adder like Mocha Mix or the CoffeeMate additions would.

I'm very flexible with what I add and I've found few detrimental aspects. I like to make vodka penne and I've made it with everything from 1% milk (which I drink at home) but that was a little thin... what worked especially well was Lite Sour Cream (which we use for all things sour cream) - the added tang was a benefit and the thickness of the sour cream actually made it very creamy without a lot of added calories and fat.
TWA884 and TGarza like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I have actually none of those things on hand; all I drink at home is skim milk. So I'll have to pick something up from the store this week regardless.
When you are baking, strictly sticking to a recipe WRT ingredients or amounts is important. With other cooking, it is not as critical. The purpose is too add a little silkiness and creaminess so yes, just pick up a small carton of cream, milk, or half/half.
BTW--as far as buttermilk, I rarely see more than one or two brands even in the big groceries so I don't think your store is unusual. I never can use a whole carton so I freeze leftover buttermilk in baggies.
Post a pic...the dish sounds really good!!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If the recipe originates from a warmer country w/o much of a dairy industry, the stuff may be canned shelf-stable cream such as this stuff. Cooking cream is sold, in non-shelf stable packaging where I am in 15 & 35% format but I've never seen the stuff (must be for specific ethnic demographics). Seems alcohol and acids are added to prevent curdling (or one could just temper to avoid this happening which is what everyone did in the past). Closest we get is a product called Coffee Cream (18%) which is higher than 10% 1/2 & 1/2 (marketed as Creamo here) and of course lower than whipping/heavy cream.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 13, 2020 at 12:37 pm
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold

I've used half and half in cooking a lot, never in coffee (I like warmed skim for that) . Half and Half is what your looking for

Last edited by Redhead; Nov 16, 2020 at 7:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.