Reload this Page >

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:53 pm

Food blogger Robin Lee captured my feelings about five guys fries:... my reaction was probably something like, "Oh my god these fries are made of crack and rainbows and how the hell can fries taste this good oh sweet jesus I'mgonnaeattenmore."

Unlike others I have not had a bad batch. I think the burgers are pretty good with extra bacon (same price for extra bacon as just plain add bacon), cheese, and grilled onions and mushrooms.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mathprof
Food blogger Robin Lee captured my feelings about five guys fries:... my reaction was probably something like, "Oh my god these fries are made of crack and rainbows and how the hell can fries taste this good oh sweet jesus I'mgonnaeattenmore."

Unlike others I have not had a bad batch. I think the burgers are pretty good with extra bacon (same price for extra bacon as just plain add bacon), cheese, and grilled onions and mushrooms.
I still like them without salt :-)
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corky
Oh hey, there's a Smashburger nine miles from me. Color me excited. I mean, any burger place that has brussels sprouts on the menu can't be bad, right? If I was closer, I'd whip out my phone and order delivery right now.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s 2a and all this talk is craving toast.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Oh hey, there's a Smashburger nine miles from me. Color me excited. I mean, any burger place that has brussels sprouts on the menu can't be bad, right? If I was closer, I'd whip out my phone and order delivery right now.
I don't know, I tried the sprouts at The Habit and they were mushy and coated in oil. Even tried it a second time to see if it was an off day or the cook did it wrong, nope. The sprouts from Gott's Roadside were much better.

On topic, two Smashburgers opened in my county some years back, tried both and was disappointed both times. They were gone within two years. I do find Five Guys fries to consistently be the best of all the fast food chains I've tried. At McDonalds, I have asked for no salt on the fries, which usually means I get the next fresh batch so they can serve them before salting them for the commoners.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by klew97

On topic, two Smashburgers opened in my county some years back, tried both and was disappointed both times. They were gone within two years. I do find Five Guys fries to consistently be the best of all the fast food chains I've tried.
Near my condo in Chicago, the Five Guys and Smashburger were just a few blocks apart on the same street. Smashburger didn't last long. Apparently Lincoln Park has voted. I agree Five Guys is the best, but "consistent" is not a word I usually associate with it. If every store output exactly the same quality as the best ones, I suspect there would be little debate about the best. Too many people, like my wife, have their first experience at a mediocre store -- in her case, we waited nearly 30 minutes after ordering, while two teenagers worked the grill and served a large group of their friends that came in after us. We finally got undercooked fries and room temp burgers with un-melted cheese. I've tried enough stores in my work travels to know they can be great when done right, but many people probably don't give it a second try.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:25 pm

Okay, I went to Smashburger for the first time because of this thread. My mom and I had them cut the burger in half and we shared the brussels sprouts. Separately, I ordered Smash tots and she had regular fries. Loved the rosemary on the tots and enjoyed the sprouts as well.

The sprouts were huge and surprisingly good, al dente, not mushy at all, but not exactly “crispy” as the menu claims.

mjm and corky like this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boxo
Okay, I went to Smashburger for the first time because of this thread. My mom and I had them cut the burger in half and we shared the brussels sprouts. Separately, I ordered Smash tots and she had regular fries. Loved the rosemary on the tots and enjoyed the sprouts as well.

The sprouts were huge and surprisingly good, al dente, not mushy at all, but not exactly “crispy” as the menu claims.

How was the shake? What is the seasoning on the sprouts?
I got a page of coupons in the mail for Smashburger a few days ago.....I know I should throw it away so I won't be tempted to go but I haven't yet.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a page of coupons in the mail for Smashburger a few days ago.....I know I should throw it away so I won't be tempted to go but I haven't yet.
you deserve to return.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:12 am

I thought the shake was unremarkable in chocolate flavor. In hindsight, I would have rather had a pint of Haagen Daz Chocolate ice cream instead. I think the sprouts were salt n peppered with some parmesan. They are served with a side of ranch dressing and I must say that was a tasty combination new to me. The leftover sprouts were even better the next day after a stint in the toaster oven - hot n crispy.

Save and use those coupons, then report back.
corky and JBord like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.