Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Old Nov 9, 20, 2:40 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 22,900
Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

I am having a procedure on Wednesday that requires me to starve myself for about 12 hours and I am trying to plan my recovery meal. This is not a colonoscopy (which I always get done as early in the day as possible) although I always look forward to my recovery meal after that as well. It will be around 2:30 and I thought I might want to try a different burger instead of my usual In-N-OUt. The 2 places that are somewhat near to me are 5 Guys and Smashburger. I have not had either. I hate In-N-Out fries and would like to try the place that has both an excellent burger as well as yummy fries.
I know this is controversial but which of those 2 chains would you recommend for a good combo meal?
corky is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 3:29 pm
  #2  
tcl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Posts: 1,072
The fry quality tends to vary quite a bit with each 5 Guys location. There was one local to us that we loved because the guy manning the fry station, double fried the fries belgian style so that they were always extra crispy. He also did not over salt them. Then that location closed and relocated to a nicer space the next town over and now the fries are limp and greasy because it's not the same people at the fry station. The burgers however, tend to be consistently tasty, sometimes a bit salty, squashed and messy to eat across most locations.

I've only tried Smashburger twice at different locations. The burgers were ok but I did love the parmesean fries.

If you're doing takeout or eating in your car because dining rooms are closed because of Covid, couldn't you get burgers in one place and fries from another if the places aren't too far apart?
corky and boxo like this.
tcl is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 3:47 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 22,900
Originally Posted by tcl View Post
The fry quality tends to vary quite a bit with each 5 Guys location. There was one local to us that we loved because the guy manning the fry station, double fried the fries belgian style so that they were always extra crispy. He also did not over salt them. Then that location closed and relocated to a nicer space the next town over and now the fries are limp and greasy because it's not the same people at the fry station. The burgers however, tend to be consistently tasty, sometimes a bit salty, squashed and messy to eat across most locations.

I've only tried Smashburger twice at different locations. The burgers were ok but I did love the parmesean fries.

If you're doing takeout or eating in your car because dining rooms are closed because of Covid, couldn't you get burgers in one place and fries from another if the places aren't too far apart?
Good info. Limp fries are why I don't like In-N-Out. Yes, take out but since a friend is picking me up, I don't want to make her drive to 2 places plus I just want to get my food, stuff my face at home and go to sleep.
Parmesan fries, you say? That sounds right up my alley.
There is a new Popeye's near the place but not quite open yet otherwise I would go there for a fried chicken piece of heaven sandwich.
corky is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 4:59 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 11,180
5 guys - I ask for NO SALT on the fries and then season on my own. I also preorder on my phone to save time.
5 guys fries otherwise have way too much salt :-)

i haven’t had smash burger.

Boggie dog said that one can request well done fries at in’n’out :-)
gaobest is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 5:03 pm
  #5  
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Posts: 34,436
My experience of 5 Guys is that their fries are terrible.
As noted, ordering In-N-Out fries "well-done" makes a huge difference!
corky and fotographer like this.
cblaisd is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 5:14 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 11,180
I love 5 guys fries! Well, I last had them 3/14 Saturday but boy were they good. “No salt” request :-)

now that I make my own oven fries, I’ll probably never have 5 guys again but I’ll always recall my times there.
fotographer likes this.
gaobest is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 6:42 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 22,900
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
I love 5 guys fries! Well, I last had them 3/14 Saturday but boy were they good. “No salt” request :-)

now that I make my own oven fries, I’ll probably never have 5 guys again but I’ll always recall my times there.
First of all, fries need to be salted right out of the fryer. I would never request no salt on anything.
What do you like about 5 guys fries? You seem to be in the minority. I went on smashburger's website and they have fries with rosemary and garlic so that might be the decider. That sounds good.
I almost never eat fast food burgers...a couple times a year maybe so this is a treat. I usually eat healthy but I feel like indulging when I am super hungry.

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
My experience of 5 Guys is that their fries are terrible.
As noted, ordering In-N-Out fries "well-done" makes a huge difference!
If I am with people who want fries at In-N-out I order well done but that just elevates them to edible--still not really good. Animal style is a big improvement.
cblaisd likes this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 16, 20 at 11:21 pm Reason: merge
corky is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 6:48 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The OC • LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Posts: 19,954
Originally Posted by corky View Post
First of all, fries need to be salted right out of the fryer. I would never request no salt on anything.
This.
corky and bambinomartino like this.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:04 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Olde Dominion
Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Posts: 923
Definitely SMASHBURGER for the best combo of burger and fries.

You can also get tater tots there - plain or with rosemary & garlic.

i really like the BBQ bacon cheeseburger.
corky and boxo like this.
Kamalaasaa is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:20 pm
  #10  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 5,541
Smashburger's BBQ brisket and bacon burger is out of this world. The fries are meh, neither great nor awful, certainly better than InO but no major difference from Five Guys.
corky likes this.
mjm is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:30 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 858
5 guys fries are the best. I don't even even remember how smashburgers fries taste like so must me not that great. On occasion, I'll get the cajun fries, but its not as good as NY Fries.
GateGuardian is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 9:05 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 11,180
Originally Posted by corky View Post
First of all, fries need to be salted right out of the fryer. I would never request no salt on anything.
What do you like about 5 guys fries? ...
5 guys puts on too much salt thus my No Salt request.
they’re crispy and fun and yummy. They also have my beloved malt vinegar.

now I have “fish & chips” vinegar at home and I love it!!!

however, 5 Guys only have french fries. Zero fancy toppings.

shame to not have tried smash burger. I guess I can try making smashed burgers :-)
corky likes this.
gaobest is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:03 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,601
Originally Posted by corky View Post
I am having a procedure on Wednesday that requires me to starve myself for about 12 hours and I am trying to plan my recovery meal. This is not a colonoscopy (which I always get done as early in the day as possible) although I always look forward to my recovery meal after that as well. It will be around 2:30 and I thought I might want to try a different burger instead of my usual In-N-OUt. The 2 places that are somewhat near to me are 5 Guys and Smashburger. I have not had either. I hate In-N-Out fries and would like to try the place that has both an excellent burger as well as yummy fries.
I know this is controversial but which of those 2 chains would you recommend for a good combo meal?
The best fries are at Fishing With Dynamite in MB. Everything in this tiny restaurant is outstanding
corky likes this.
obscure2k is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:22 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 22,900
Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
The best fries are at Fishing With Dynamite in MB. Everything in this tiny restaurant is outstanding
2 good friends went this past Friday and even sent me a pic of the fries...i remember being surprised as I can't envision fries being the draw there .
corky is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:57 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Posts: 3,060
I've only eaten at 5 guys 4 times because I don't care all that much for their burgers, but 3 out of the 4 times the fries have been outstanding. Once they were a tad limp. Never even remotely too salty. I would go there just for fries....
corky likes this.
braslvr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: