Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I was watching a rerun of Kramer vs. Kramer last week and noticed Tab in a scene (product placement?) Hadn't thought of it in years, haven't seen it on the shelves in years, didn't know it was still being made and couldn't care less that it's gone.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:47 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
The only thing I liked about Tab was the commercials with the catchy song and the woman on the beach,. I had no idea they were still around..

Australia's own Elle Mac Pherson.

Oh, and here in Australia we now have Coke Sugar Free.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When I was a child my babysitter used to drink Tab in her never-ending effort to diet. I've not seen it on the shelves where I live for years, so not surprising it's being discontinued. A friend of mine likes Fresca (and so do it), but I only drink it at her house. So won't be surprised if that goes away too. In fairness I don't drink soda all that much. Either diet Vernors (hate Schwepes) or diet Pepsi (at restaurants I just say diet P or C, whatever you have).

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I thought tab came with a carcinogen...they stopped producing it i hen...
Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Why still both Coke Zero and Diet Coke?
I thought Coke Zero was "formulated" for men as they did not like Diet Coke.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
They taste different. Coke Zero is, to me, sweeter, closer to Pepsi.
Yep.
Originally Posted by gaobest
What about our fresca???
Losing Fresca in stores is a bigger deal to me as finding Diet Squirt is still hard to find.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I thought Tab died decades ago.

There have been rolling supply chain shortages that have hit Coke products for months now. I wonder if eliminating the niche products will help them ensure that they can keep Diet Coke, Coke, and Sprite on the shelves.

My local Costco has been about 50-50 on my trips this year on having Diet Coke in stock. There had *never* been a shortage prior to 2020. At first I thought it was due to hoarders in the first weeks of quarantine, but it has persisted all summer and into the fall.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Why still both Coke Zero and Diet Coke?
Shelf space. Markets will always carry the array of Coca Cola products and that comes at the expense of other competitors' products. If you are buying Diet or Zero you aren't buying something else because it just isn't there. Local Organic Tasty Soda can't afford the buy in for shelf space if Coca Cola is flooding the aisle.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Must have been some 20 years ago since my last TAB. Won't miss it, hearing it's now going for good.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Not losing TAB (or the whole bunch of Coca Cola) products up north because we never had that many (e.g., all the Coke permutations of sweetener, flavours and/or caffienation), to begin with (and no Tab either for ever or not for decades) and it appears there has been a strong trend towards flavoured sparkling waters. Been drinking a private label products that tastes remarkably like 7-Up, w.o sugar or other sweeteners.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I bought a couple of 12 packs recently and partner told me to keep buying it as long as I could.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:17 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hvr
Australia's own Elle Mac Pherson....
aka Eleanor Nancy Gow, daughter of Frances and Peter Gow.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
If they have stopped producing it, why am I seeing many 12 pack cans with expiration dates beyond the coke 12 packs being stocked on the shelves here in South Florida? This even includes coke going through all their Xmas themed cases for the season.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by teddybear99
If they have stopped producing it, why am I seeing many 12 pack cans with expiration dates beyond the coke 12 packs being stocked on the shelves here in South Florida? This even includes coke going through all their Xmas themed cases for the season.
The op says that they'll stop producing it "by the end of the year."

Maybe the news has produced an uptick in sales. I'm a huge Diet Coke fan, but I find TaB tastier than Coke Zero.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Dec 14, 2020 at 12:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The op says that they'll stop producing it "by the end of the year."

Maybe the news has produced an uptick in sales. I'm a huge Diet Coke fan, but I find TaB taster than Coke Zero.
Well, I am not a diet type drinker as I find the aftertaste to be terrible. It also may be the craving for sugar that I like flavored sodas better. I am now seeing the flavors coming back like Cherry Coke, Cherry-Vanilla Coke, the Fanta series etc...

I ran into a Coke delivery driver and asked when I will see the Wild Cherry Fanta, and he said that was a seasonal flavor. Just like McD's and there seasonal sandwiches, McRib being the current one, they produce for a certain period of time. I was told to go to the website and comment on it, so they may produce it more often if there are a lot of people requesting it.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Well, I am not a diet type drinker as I find the aftertaste to be terrible. It also may be the craving for sugar that I like flavored sodas better. I am now seeing the flavors coming back like Cherry Coke, Cherry-Vanilla Coke, the Fanta series etc...

I ran into a Coke delivery driver and asked when I will see the Wild Cherry Fanta, and he said that was a seasonal flavor. Just like McD's and there seasonal sandwiches, McRib being the current one, they produce for a certain period of time. I was told to go to the website and comment on it, so they may produce it more often if there are a lot of people requesting it.
As a teenager, I lived on Cherry Coke and Cherry 7 Up, when they came out, along with a small brand soda that made Black Cherry. Can't remember the name, may have been local to the midwest US. I will have to keep my eyes open for Wild Cherry Fanta.

As far as tab goes, I always thought it tasted like half cola and half water. Blech, I won't miss it obviously.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.